British Speedway Forum
crescent girl

U-21 FINAL: BERWICK, Wednesday, October 21st

9 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Berwick is not narrow ,don’t know what you are watching.It’s fast and the racing line is quite far out.They widen the straits by a metre and opened up the entrance to the bends before the start of this season.

From google maps, measuring the width of the home straight gets you something less than 9m as an example the equivalent measurement for Belle Vue is something over 13m.

Now I will acknowledge that the Berwick measurement will be out of date due to the recent work and the figures will not be totally precise, but I got the impression from the view of the start that the straight was narrow and the above backs up that feeling.  I supposed it depends on each persons definition of narrow.

Regardless the promotion should be applauded for attempting to make track improvements, most tracks in this country need it.

Edited by Stoke Potter

8 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

From google maps, measuring the width of the home straight gets you something less than 9m as an example the equivalent measurement for Belle Vue is something over 13m.

Now I will acknowledge that the Berwick measurement will be out of date due to the recent work and the figures will not be totally precise, but I got the impression from the view of the start that the straight was narrow and the above backs up that feeling.  I supposed it depends on each persons definition of narrow.

Regardless the promotion should be applauded for attempting to make track improvements, most tracks in this country need it.

Berwick Is no narrower that the majority of tracks in British Speedway. NSS is the exception as it was purpose built in modern times.The trouble at Berwick has always been the entrance and exits to and from the bends were narrow due to the football pitch.This was remedied this year with the alterations.

Even with the alterations it’s still narrow and rides as such, you only have to see how close together riders are on the start line. It’s true that the entrances and exits to the bends are the issue, riders almost have to ‘queue up’ at times as there isn’t always room to enter or exit the bends alongside somebody if they are riding a good line. And just because a track has FIM status that  doesn’t mean it’s not narrow. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Even with the alterations it’s still narrow and rides as such, you only have to see how close together riders are on the start line. It’s true that the entrances and exits to the bends are the issue, riders almost have to ‘queue up’ at times as there isn’t always room to enter or exit the bends alongside somebody if they are riding a good line. And just because a track has FIM status that  doesn’t mean it’s not narrow. 

You guys are unreal ,the track is not narrow.

2 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Berwick and their TV crew can only learn and lets hope they do listen and take on board the constructive criticism.

I called ita brave effort and it was but I would not pay even the £2 I did for the same again. Sadly the concept that feedback is all negative moaning has become a default trait of UK domestic spedway and that is why crowds have plummeted over the last few years. Listening to what your customer likes and doesn't like, is something other businees and industries pay a lot of moeny for! In the UK disillusioned supporters are seen as moaning keyboard warriors. The current Chairman is so like the previous one in terms of saying" if you don't like it, don't come". Well many thousnds of supporters have chosen that option and no longer offer up their hard earned cash for the poor product usually on offer in the UK. 

I genuinely hope that the Berwick TV crew DO read and take on board the suggestions that supporters who joined the stream said about the product.You can't please everyone but there were a large number who just gave up because of what was on their screen. If there were 1,800  at one point that would have been a great success at £10 a head. A lost opportunity. Have they said how much was donated?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jenga said:

those remarks may come back to bite you in future years and i for one will remind you of your poor COMmEnTS , hats if i am around .

i am sure kyle had an arm injury , could be wrong tho !

Not a problem - I am happy to be proven wrong, but since currently Kyle Bickley hasn't progressed beyond heat leader at NDL level and reserve at Championship level, I doubt he is likely to progress much beyond high end Championship level.

6 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You guys are unreal ,the track is not narrow.

I'm pretty sure I've had major disagreements with Bagpuss on here before but I have agree with him/her 100% on this; it looks narrow and appears to ride narrow.

As regards viewing figures, the highest I saw it at was around 2400.

Interesting to read all of the comments on last night's action. It's very easy to highlight negative feedback but I don't think there can be many positives to be said for last night. Fair play to Berwick for their efforts with the meeting and trying to get the stream on. My main issue here is why wasn't there significant input from the BSPA to get a better stream working and pushed out for the meeting? Personally, I watched six heats and decided that was enough for me, mainly due to the stream. Yes, the racing wasn't great but generally speaking, people will still watch it if the product provided is sufficient. It may have 'only' been the British Under 21 Championship last night but I feel the BSPA have missed a massive opportunity to back up the positives of the British Final. With so many aspects of the sport, I see a half-arsed approach which will definitely be putting people off or preventing new supporters. Conversations like this have been ongoing for years and I really see no way back for the sport here which is a huge shame. I hope we can have a 'normal' sort of season next year but we will have to see on that. You can argue all day about the prices of streams e.g. British Final but unless you provide a sufficient product, you are never going to get anywhere. 

With regards to the meeting, I think it is very harsh to be critical of the performances on track for the young riders having barely had any or no competitive action this season. Congratulations to Dan for his win and I look forward to following his progress. I really believe if he can have a couple of injury free seasons and work on his gating that he can reach a really high level. 

Interesting comments on Bickley. I hope the lad can get over whatever seems to be holding him back at the moment but to be he just seems very timid whenever I have watched him live. He doesn't have that go in him or that real desire from what I have seen of him on track. Obviously this is just personal opinion and others would've seen much more of him. Next year is a big year for the likes of him, Brennan, Rowe and Kemp. Flint or Palin have one or two more years on that group I believe and have still time to progress but that group of four really need a big year to see them pushing anywhere near the highest level. 

The problem for Berwick speedway seems to be a track around a football pitch, which tends to make for narrow straights and  entrances and exits on corners. I believe Hull had the same problem, and when Odsal ran its first meeting in 1946, no rider managed to get around the first turn, and they had to make quick alterations.

Unfortunately most tracks are forced to make a track that fits the existing stadium, rather than having the luxury of a blank canvas to work on.

26 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

I'm pretty sure I've had major disagreements with Bagpuss on here before but I have agree with him/her 100% on this; it looks narrow and appears to ride narrow.

As regards viewing figures, the highest I saw it at was around 2400.

Minimum width of straight for FIM regs is 10 mtrs,that is not narrow.Still not to worry we will to agree to disagree.Berwick does ride narrow.

8 minutes ago, woodenspoon said:

The problem for Berwick speedway seems to be a track around a football pitch, which tends to make for narrow straights and  entrances and exits on corners. I believe Hull had the same problem, and when Odsal ran its first meeting in 1946, no rider managed to get around the first turn, and they had to make quick alterations.

Unfortunately most tracks are forced to make a track that fits the existing stadium, rather than having the luxury of a blank canvas to work on.

They have altered the track this year!

Jeez oh plenty of riders manage to ride tracks of all shapes and sizes whether they be around football or rugby pitches or inside or outside greyhound or stockcar tracks.
If you are going to blaming the shape of the track for poor racing then I'd suggest you're watching the wrong sport.
Every rider has to learn to adapt to different track shapes and surfaces throughout their careers so perhaps it's only talented and/or skilled riders who go on to become good?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moomin man 76 said:

Not a problem - I am happy to be proven wrong, but since currently Kyle Bickley hasn't progressed beyond heat leader at NDL level and reserve at Championship level, I doubt he is likely to progress much beyond high end Championship level.

very few riders just burst onto the speedway scene and become world class and then stay at that level for prob the remainder of their time in the sport . the majority of riders get their style ( a way of riding that suits them ) and that gives them confidence . then the speed comes with it . 

i will be happy to shoot you down when this happens  :P . he is still a kid and has the backing to be a good servant to the sport .

steve lawson loved to see 3 riders away from the tapes before setting off, cannot remember how his career went . hope it went well !

in the H18TORY season @ worky, Kyle beat some quality riders and @ worky was really starting to up his game  .. 

Kyle IS a world champion , did you know that ?

15 minutes ago, jenga said:

very few riders just burst onto the speedway scene and become world class and then stay at that level for prob the remainder of their time in the sport . the majority of riders get their style ( a way of riding that suits them ) and that gives them confidence . then the speed comes with it . 

i will be happy to shoot you down when this happens  :P . he is still a kid and has the backing to be a good servant to the sport .

steve lawson loved to see 3 riders away from the tapes before setting off, cannot remember how his career went . hope it went well !

in the H18TORY season @ worky, Kyle beat some quality riders and @ worky was really starting to up his game  .. 

Kyle IS a world champion , did you know that ?

WAS a World Champion.did you know that?