British Speedway Forum
crescent girl

U-21 FINAL: BERWICK, Wednesday, October 21st

10 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

To interrupt the discussion about which poster's the biggest fanny -- and I'm sure someone will knee-jerk that it's me :( -- I hope Leon Flint's achievement in finishing runner-up (even heading the worthy winner for a couple of laps) doesn't get brushed aside as "home track knowledge", given he has only enjoyed two short team sessions on the new circuit -- and is also younger than his four closest rivals, each of whom arrived at Shielfield after considerable overseas experience this dreadful non-season?

New circuit :rolleyes:,it’s hard to believe you can come up with that one.

Congrats to Leon  though he was superb on the night.

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

So Dan Bewley replaces Cookie as track record holder

10 minutes ago, Normski said:

So Dan Bewley replaces Cookie as track record holder

Yip! ,but remember it’s a new circuit.:D

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Think it would be 1,3,5,7  and2,4,6,8, in the 2 semi finals surely.

1,4,6,7 and 2,3,5,8 is what is used in the SGP, I think.
The numbers you suggest would make the 2nd semi "easier" as everyone is lower in the standings than semi 1, and so is actually a disadvantage to the one leading the scoring into the semi finals.

While I am replying here, I'll also ramble about the streaming service that was provided by Berwick for this meeting.
YES, there were problems.
I'm not sure how the electrical problems led to the planned youtube stream being abandoned and a new one being set up...That, obviously caused a problem for a lot of people that were waiting on the stream starting. 
Some of the camera work and production was far from great...The camera on the start straight was definitely placed too close to the track to really be useful mid race, and some of the camera changes seemed excessive, but that was possibly as a result of the realisation that the placement of what would normally be the "primary" camera on the start straight was sub optimal.
On screen graphics showing results and scores that others have complained about weren't really a big miss for me. The commentators told me who was in the race and I could check updates sites for current scorers.

As a regular "tv viewer", the only thing that I really missed was replays of major incidents....but I didn't get them from the Belle Vue stream that I paid for either, and everyone seems to have been whooping up their coverage...

Ultimately, I got the chance to watch a meeting from Berwick, which didn't have the best track conditions or the most even field, that I wouldn't have been able to watch without this stream being provided, and I was grateful for this opportunity to watch despite the problems. 
I didn't donate before the event as I wasn't sure if I would be able to watch or not, but at the end of the night I decided to donate more than I had originally thought I would...NOT because I enjoyed the greatest speedway meeting, but just because I got the chance to watch a speedway meeting that I wouldn't otherwise have seen and with no obligation to pay for it, and I appreciated that.

The general theme here seems to have been that everyone felt ripped off...I GENUINELY didn't. 

I'd just say thanks to Berwick Speedway for letting me watch this meeting live.

Edited by HenryW
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, crescent girl said:

To interrupt the discussion about which poster's the biggest fanny -- and I'm sure someone will knee-jerk that it's me :( -- I hope Leon Flint's achievement in finishing runner-up (even heading the worthy winner for a couple of laps) doesn't get brushed aside as "home track knowledge", given he has only enjoyed two short team sessions on the new circuit -- and is also younger than his four closest rivals, each of whom arrived at Shielfield after considerable overseas experience this dreadful non-season?

It will do to an extent as he has been pretty poor.. only have to look at the U19’s to see that but he looked good 

9 hours ago, Fromafar said:

The changes to the track are welcome ones and hopefully do the trick to improve the racing, however to describe it as a new circuit is slightly wide of the mark.

If/when we get back to regular team racing maybe Berwick can use that as an excuse if they get off to a poor start.;)

7 hours ago, HenryW said:

I didn't donate before the event as I wasn't sure if I would be able to watch or not, but at the end of the night I decided to donate more than I had originally thought I would...NOT because I enjoyed the greatest speedway meeting, but just because I got the chance to watch a speedway meeting that I wouldn't otherwise have seen and with no obligation to pay for it, and I appreciated that.

How much did you donate?

Flint was excellent but there was some pretty obvious home track knowledge in the way he rode. 

• Like 1

donated £10 after watching the meeting as others have said it wasn’t the greatest spectacle but did give a good insight into how to ride the track. Massive difference between those at the top in the way they attacked turn 3 driving in hard allowing the bike to run up to the apex of the corner before allowing the banking to bring the bike round and out of turn 4 on the inside .

• Like 1

I've only just got the chance now to watch the meeting, due to work and family commitments.

The racing wasn't great, but that's what you get when you have riders of various abilities, who have had very little track time this year, on a heavy track, made difficult because of typical October conditions. To be honest, I had my doubts the meeting would go ahead, Berwick was lucky to miss a lot of the showers on Wednesday afternoon, after a lot of rain had already fallen in the previous days.

Obviously the power failure before the meeting before the meeting caused a lot of disruption. But that can happen to anybody, just ask Gorzow. 

The production of the meeting has come in for a lot of criticism on here. If I could add one piece of constructive criticism, it would be to try and get elevated pictures, showing more of the track. There used to be a platform on the first bend that used to get used. That provided good coverage. But it was interesting to hear what a work colleague told me. He had spoken to an official of Berwick Rangers, who had been watching the stream live. Bear in mind neither of these have a great interest in speedway. "Looked good on TV" was his words. Certainly doesn't sound like the disaster some would have. I just wanted to give you the perspective from somebody outside the sport.

After watching the meeting, I've made a donation. Not on the strength of the quality of streaming, but I know how much effort and hard work would have to go in to organising the meeting, preparing the track, which must have been a nightmare given the conditions and getting the power back on. I appreciate their efforts, that;s why I've donated.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, crescent girl said:

The published 'programme' (meaning the free racecard published by Berwick on their website) indicated two semi-finals.   This was also the case at the previous two U21 Finals, and probably earlier ones at other tracks. 

I will stand corrected on that case. Someone asked me if there was always 2 semi finals and a final and I said that I couldn't remember Robert Lambert racing in a semi final at Berwick so thought the previous two years the top two qualifiers went straight through to the final.:t:

14 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Think it would be 1,3,5,7  and2,4,6,8, in the 2 semi finals surely.

Thought the GP's used 1,4,5&8 for some GP's and 1,4,6&7 for other GP's (could easily be 1,3,5,7 though).

26 minutes ago, sparks123 said:

I will stand corrected on that case. Someone asked me if there was always 2 semi finals and a final and I said that I couldn't remember Robert Lambert racing in a semi final at Berwick so thought the previous two years the top two qualifiers went straight through to the final.:t:

Thought the GP's used 1,4,5&8 for some GP's and 1,4,6&7 for other GP's (could easily be 1,3,5,7 though).

Some would appreciate  2, 4, 6, 8, :D

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Normski said:

Some would appreciate  2, 4, 6, 8, :D

You would have thought someone would have come up with a song by now with those numbers.:drink:

Maybe something to work on for next season.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Leon was brilliant and it would have been interesting to have seen him on a machine with a PL (or even International) standard engine.
Bewley, Kemp and Rowe's bikes did look faster and I believe the winning times showed that.

I think match fitness probably came into it as well. Kemp's pass was a bit rash in the first running of heat 16 especially compared to Bewley's stalking and probing approach in the rerun before swooping around Leon. Probably illustrates that tad extra bit of experience - but you'll never find me criticising a rider for coming unstuck attempting a ballsy overtake (no pun intended) Kemp, Rowe and Flint - along with Dan Gilkes and the Thompson twins - all come out of it with reputations enhanced and a few more opportunities to take this title in the coming years.

Edited by George Dodds
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, sparks123 said:

You could be right.( probably are)