British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

During the last six months, with not much else to do, I have been spending some time sorting out old boxes, files, etc. that have been lying around at home for years, shoved at the back of cupboards etc.
Yesterday, I came across a notebook with a number of things in, including some speedway notes and records. It dates from 1962 and one of the things I had noted was the number of times speedway was mentioned on TV and Radio. So here goes....:

BBC

Grandstand 17 February: Grandstand Television Trophy 1st leg at Cradley Heath; 24 February: Ditto, 2nd leg  

Today's Sport 8 September: Report on World Championship

ITV

Sportscast (No dates): Film of European Championship, Wimbledon (? Don't know what this refers to), Film of Internationale; 8 August: Rye House; 5 September: Preview of World Championship.

News 9 September: Film of World Championship

London This Weekend (no date): Preview of Internationale; 7 September: Preview of World Championship

Saturday Sportstime (no date): Mention of John Burton, son of Squib Burton, famous speedway rider

Radio

Sports Parade 8 September: Mention of interview with Ove Fundin in Sports Report

Sports Report 8 September: Interview with Ove Fundin

Children's Choice (no date): Request for "When the Red Red Robin" requested by Swindon supporters; 8 September: Request for Flight of the Bumble Bee from Coventry supporters, wishing best of luck to Ron Mountford, Ken McKinlay and Nigel Boocock in the World Championship Final

Housewives Choice (no date): A record requested for a Mrs Hart, Robin Richmond muses, "I wonder if she is any relation to Oliver Hart, one of the last of the leg trailers."

Here's hoping things get back to normal soon and I can get out more!!!

• Like 3

Those were the days my friend, we thought they’d never end.

• Like 1