British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Plummer0207

Michael Lee - 40 years on from becoming World champion

40 years, wow. Oh how those years fly by!

They announced the winner over the pa system during a Hackney meeting and the crowd didn't exactly go wild as I recall. I think it was a case of any Brit but Lee or Davis.

I think most people expected Dave Jessup to win as he was winning practically everything that year.

Saying that, Lee was a worthy winner, being one of the few riders to overtake on a boring (as usual) Ullevi track.

top rider and top bloke

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember that evening at Ullevi very well and Michael was a deserving champion.

I was also present at Ullevi for his first World Final in 1977 and he came quite close that night when just 18!

Certainly had the ability to win more than one title but that’s another story!

• Like 1

WAS back page lead on the Daily Express and most other nationals too. It was a Friday night meeting and with the time difference it was done and dusted before 9pm, perfect for the papers. Along with colleagues like Graham Baker (Daily Mirror) and Kei Radnedge (Daily Mail) actually left the press box, crossed the track and got our quotes from Michael before he had even been presented with the trophy. Happy days ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i also rate his longtrack win in '81, incredible style for that size track (as mentioned by Dave Lanning in commentary), up against a good lineup but with a fast DOHC Jawa too

• Like 1

One of the most talented speedway bike riders ever, just a shame that he went a bit “of the rails” later in his career.Tarnished his reputation IMO.

Amazing rider and story! He was better at that stage than the similarly aged Hans Nielsen and look what Hans achieved! - Best 16 year old I've ever seen and probably ever will!

Despite his dark, illicit side which indicate a loathsome persona Michaels actually a very nice down to earth person, one that was too easily led one assumes.

He has long indicated he has no regrets but surely deep down he must know that he could of been up there  with the likes of Mauger, Rikardsson and Fundin in terms of title wins!

• Like 2

I can remember on the following afternoon Saturday -highlights was shown on ITVs World of Sport can also remember Dickie Davies saying at the end of the coverage get yourself along to Kings Lynn tonight to as Kings Lynn take on Hackney in the BL go welcome home the world champion Lee and world no 2 Jessup  that has to be the best free advert kings Lynn ever had . Also I seem to remember those Lynn fans  who was in Sweden for the final Couldn’t get back to Lynn in time for the Saturday night at Lynn meeting there was a lot of unhappy fans about that . That night saddle Bow Road was packed .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WembleyLion said:

I remember that evening at Ullevi very well and Michael was a deserving champion.

I was also present at Ullevi for his first World Final in 1977 and he came quite close that night when just 18!

Certainly had the ability to win more than one title but that’s another story!

He could have won that day as both Mauger and Olsen should have been excluded for exceeding the 2 minutes 

Michael was waiting at the tapes but the referee decided it was too wet for Mauger and Olsen to come out to play.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Clemens said:

He could have won that day as both Mauger and Olsen should have been excluded for exceeding the 2 minutes 

Michael was waiting at the tapes but the referee decided it was too wet for Mauger and Olsen to come out to play.

Yes indeed had Michael won heat 18 in the 1977 World Final at the very least he would he been in a run off for the title!

• Like 1

I first saw him ride as a sixteen year old at Crayford's reopening meeting in 1975. He was one of the few riders that could regularly pass Penhall when he was at his peak.

3 hours ago, Haza said:

I can remember on the following afternoon Saturday -highlights was shown on ITVs World of Sport can also remember Dickie Davies saying at the end of the coverage get yourself along to Kings Lynn tonight to as Kings Lynn take on Hackney in the BL go welcome home the world champion Lee and world no 2 Jessup  that has to be the best free advert kings Lynn ever had . Also I seem to remember those Lynn fans  who was in Sweden for the final Couldn’t get back to Lynn in time for the Saturday night at Lynn meeting there was a lot of unhappy fans about that . That night saddle Bow Road was packed .

That's right. I was there that night to support the Hackney Hawks v KL who were gunning for the BL title. Mike the Bike was just awesome. Bo Peterson was top of the BL averages for most of that year. ML steamed under him on bend three and then took off and left him. He then rode in between team riding guests in another heat up the home straight like they weren't there. They were from Cradley . Gunderson and an other ?  I think he scored a maximum that night.Forget the off track stuff . Kings Lynn came to the Wick c 1976 or 1977. Had read about this wonder boy that was clocking up massive scores for KL and Boston. He came to Hackney all of 16 or 17 and cleaned up. Having watched the sport since 1969 HE was our best ever rider and could have been up there with the greats and been our best ever rider. Woffy is terrific, all respect to him and three World titles BUT Mike Lee for me was even better and as other poster said could have been up there with Mauger and Rickardson. Have to say Dave Jessup also terrific. He could teach our youngsters how to gate !!??

• Like 4

9 hours ago, WembleyLion said:

Yes indeed had Michael won heat 18 in the 1977 World Final at the very least he would he been in a run off for the title!

Yeah after waiting at the gate in the rain, he returned to the pits to see what was occurring re: Mauger & Olsen which meant (forget the exact wording) but the ref couldn't then exclude the other 2 under the 2 mins rule.  If you watch the initial running, where Boulger & Olsen slithered off in the slime, you can hear Lee's bike literally screaming as his throttle had stuck open.  Lee was very good, naturally talented  ider indeed, 'thereatened to win' in 1977, '79 and possibly again in 1983, he also took the longtrack title in 1981....

Edited by martinmauger
grammar