British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Plummer0207

Michael Lee - 40 years on from becoming World champion

Michael was a great talent who sadly went astray in later years.

His biography is a good read if you get chance to read it

17 hours ago, Goldhawk said:

That's right. I was there that night to support the Hackney Hawks v KL who were gunning for the BL title. Mike the Bike was just awesome. Bo Peterson was top of the BL averages for most of that year. ML steamed under him on bend three and then took off and left him. He then rode in between team riding guests in another heat up the home straight like they weren't there. They were from Cradley . Gunderson and an other ?  I think he scored a maximum that night.Forget the off track stuff . Kings Lynn came to the Wick c 1976 or 1977. Had read about this wonder boy that was clocking up massive scores for KL and Boston. He came to Hackney all of 16 or 17 and cleaned up. Having watched the sport since 1969 HE was our best ever rider and could have been up there with the greats and been our best ever rider. Woffy is terrific, all respect to him and three World titles BUT Mike Lee for me was even better and as other poster said could have been up there with Mauger and Rickardson. Have to say Dave Jessup also terrific. He could teach our youngsters how to gate !!??

Good post. I think the best rider I ever saw was Michael Lee when he was on top form.

I remember a Golden Helmet at Swindon - Phil Crump vs Michael Lee. Crump was almost unbeatable at Swindon. In the Golden Helmet races, Lee was pulling wheelies down the straights and still won by half a lap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunner85 said:

Michael was a great talent who sadly went astray in later years.

His biography is a good read if you get chance to read it

Yes I have it thanks, Back From the Brink, not always pleasant reading but very interesting and informative just the same....

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 10:15 AM, Fromafar said:

One of the most talented speedway bike riders ever, just a shame that he went a bit “of the rails” later in his career.Tarnished his reputation IMO.

Not his reputation as a real racer on track. The other stuff did of course affedt him but "they "were out to nail him and he stepped out of line and gave "them" a prtfect target to shoot down. Still my Best Ever ( after Ove Fundin ).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Not his reputation as a real racer on track. The other stuff did of course affedt him but "they "were out to nail him and he stepped out of line and gave "them" a prtfect target to shoot down. Still my Best Ever ( after Ove Fundin ).

THEY? Curious ...

On 9/7/2020 at 10:25 AM, Grachan said:

Good post. I think the best rider I ever saw was Michael Lee when he was on top form.

I remember a Golden Helmet at Swindon - Phil Crump vs Michael Lee. Crump was almost unbeatable at Swindon. In the Golden Helmet races, Lee was pulling wheelies down the straights and still won by half a lap.

Absolutely. Bo Peterson at Hackney at that time was pretty much the same . He couldn't beat Michael either for the Golden Helmet who won 2 - 1 from memory. 

On 9/7/2020 at 10:25 AM, Grachan said:

I recall a Golden Helmet Challenge at Eastbourne against Gordon Kennett and Michael failed to put in an appearance and Gordon won by default. Massive talent as Lee was he was also his own worse enemy.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kelvinht said:

SCB?

SCB only took action when Michael transgressed which was their duty. Michael was riding at a time when not only were they many riders from the USA here but also a number of mechanics. Their attitude to smoking pot was very liberal, mostly coming from California, where you could get high just sitting in the stands at Costa Mesa. 

It was also a time when national newspapers took a significant interest in speedway, unlike now, and Michael's misdemeanours were always going to get coverage right across the media board.

That doesn't detract from his huge talent but, a bit like George Best, his career went of the rails at times although, to the best of my knowledge, he never woke one morning with Miss World in his bed:neutral:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I watched him ride before he was old enough to race and it was obvious then he was a very special and talented rider, like a lot of other people he had a weakness for drugs and it cost him a long career in a sport.

I have also spoken to him several times since he retired and he comes across very well, absolutely no point in blaming anyone else for his misfortunes in life the fault lies with Lee.

Unfortunately drug use ruins lives and not only for the one using them.

7 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

I watched him ride before he was old enough to race and it was obvious then he was a very special and talented rider, like a lot of other people he had a weakness for drugs and it cost him a long career in a sport.

I have also spoken to him several times since he retired and he comes across very well, absolutely no point in blaming anyone else for his misfortunes in life the fault lies with Lee.

Unfortunately drug use ruins lives and not only for the one using them.

I remember watching him as a fifteen year old at Cowley (1974) doing demonstration races with Colin Richardson. Colin was the victor I recall!

6 hours ago, Goldhawk said:

Absolutely. Bo Peterson at Hackney at that time was pretty much the same . He couldn't beat Michael either for the Golden Helmet who won 2 - 1 from memory. 

After beating Chris Morton after a great battle (which included the only ever dead-heat of the competition) at the end of 1980, after a great year for Bo and the Hawks, We were eagerly anticipating his first defence against Lee.

Michael was phenomenal and was crossing the finishing line while Bo was still coming out of the fourth bend for an easy 2-0 win..He also set the two fastest times of the season.

He could've been the greatest ever if only etc...He was certainly the most naturally talented rider I've ever seen. The only other rider who came close was Darcy Ward imo.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Terry said:

After beating Chris Morton after a great battle (which included the only ever dead-heat of the competition) at the end of 1980, after a great year for Bo and the Hawks, We were eagerly anticipating his first defence against Lee.

Michael was phenomenal and was crossing the finishing line while Bo was still coming out of the fourth bend for an easy 2-0 win..He also set the two fastest times of the season.

He could've been the greatest ever if only etc...He was certainly the most naturally talented rider I've ever seen. The only other rider who came close was Darcy Ward imo.

I'd never seen Darcy Ward ride (even on film) so can not make a comparison...I'm only aware of his off-track exploits more's the pity.

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I'd never seen Darcy Ward ride (even on film) so can not make a comparison...I'm only aware of his off-track exploits more's the pity.

It's true he was a bit of an idiot, but he seemed to be pulling himself together when he returned from his ban, only to have his accident soon after. I'd recommend you seeking out some of his races on film, he really was a talent.

• Like 2

I remember watching Mike when he was 14, flying around Saddlebow Rd as it was known then, I used to time him. He was close to the meetings race times, even then. Another thing that stands out is him practicing after a meeting before his comeback. I was standing next to Kelly and Shaun Moran, leaning on the little wire fence opposite the home straight bar. Can't remember which brother said it, but can still remember one saying "he's to fast" as Mike powered out of the 4th bend and his front wheel hovered 6 inches above the track, all the way down the home straight until he entered the first bend, for 4 or 5 laps.. Also remember his first meeting back at Lynn. He had Todd Whiltshire in his first ride. Todd was flying then and was a great trapper. Mike gated, and won by half a straight.

• Like 1