British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Plummer0207

Michael Lee - 40 years on from becoming World champion

On 9/9/2020 at 10:45 AM, Terry said:

After beating Chris Morton after a great battle (which included the only ever dead-heat of the competition) at the end of 1980, after a great year for Bo and the Hawks, We were eagerly anticipating his first defence against Lee.

Michael was phenomenal and was crossing the finishing line while Bo was still coming out of the fourth bend for an easy 2-0 win..He also set the two fastest times of the season.

He could've been the greatest ever if only etc...He was certainly the most naturally talented rider I've ever seen. The only other rider who came close was Darcy Ward imo.

Well done Terry. Thanks for the clarity on GH result, yeah it was 2 - 0 . Was shocked to see the manner in which Bo was beaten. I remember Michael had a column in the Star and writing about the KL 27 - 51 victory at Waterdon Road. It must have been late 70s maybe. To those who haven't read the book on him ( and DVD ? ) i recommend.  

Edited by Goldhawk
correction
  • Like 1

I read somewhere, possibly here on the forum, that Lee blew Kenny Carter away in the Golden Helmet at Halifax when Carter was 'the boy' around the Shay....

Edited by martinmauger
belated spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have to agree a lot of what is being said about Michael on this thread.

He was brilliant at the age of 16 the like of which I have never seen in any other rider in 50 years.

In my view even the extremely talented Darcy Ward was well short of the level Michael was at as a teenager.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, martinmauger said:

I read somehere, possibly here on the forum, that Lee blew Kenny Carter away in the Golden Helmet at Halifax when Carter was 'the boy' around the Shay....

I remember that happening, it was at the time that Carter was going around telling everyone he was " England Number 1 "

would love to have seen it

20 hours ago, WembleyLion said:

I have to agree a lot of what is being said about Michael on this thread.

He was brilliant at the age of 16 the like of which I have never seen in any other rider in 50 years.

In my view even the extremely talented Darcy Ward was well short of the level Michael was at as a teenager.

Agreed. Michael could have been a Speedway Great and in the very top bracket with Mauger and Rickardson with one World Championship already at 20 . Therein could have been the problem being so young with to much to soon. He was both dazzling and brilliant. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 2:32 PM, martinmauger said:

I read somewhere, possibly here on the forum, that Lee blew Kenny Carter away in the Golden Helmet at Halifax when Carter was 'the boy' around the Shay....

I was fortunate to be there that night with Michael,  when he  totally destroyed Kenny Carter..  In both Golden Helmet races  he won by the proverbial mile,  each time breaking the track record. in the process.     Such was his dominance that night, there was suggestion his bike was unlawfully quick.  

Following speedway for many years,  I am always  questioned  about my opinion of top Riders, when I will always i say that Michael Lee was up there with the VERY BEST  of all time....

• Like 5

On 9/17/2020 at 7:13 PM, g13webb said:

I was fortunate to be there that night with Michael,  when he  totally destroyed Kenny Carter..  In both Golden Helmet races  he won by the proverbial mile,  each time breaking the track record. in the process.     Such was his dominance that night, there was suggestion his bike was unlawfully quick.  

Following speedway for many years,  I am always  questioned  about my opinion of top Riders, when I will always i say that Michael Lee was up there with the VERY BEST  of all time....

I wish i had seen those races live both 2.0 victories at Halifax and Poole to beat Carter like that was no mean feat. He also went through the card that night at Halifax in a pairs meeting partnering Julian Parr..Also people forget Michael also defeated the great Gundersen in a defence if my memory is correct??? Michael was stripped of the title with his no shows against Kennett/ S.Moran( different years).??

No doubt that a supreme talent threw his career away. Believe that he now thinks the same.

On 9/23/2020 at 11:22 AM, Sidney the robin said:

I wish i had seen those races live both 2.0 victories at Halifax and Poole to beat Carter like that was no mean feat. He also went through the card that night at Halifax in a pairs meeting partnering Julian Parr..Also people forget Michael also defeated the great Gundersen in a defence if my memory is correct??? Michael was stripped of the title with his no shows against Kennett/ S.Moran( different years).??

Sydney,  ,I cant comment  on the Moran clash, but  was in the know in regard the the Kennett challenge.   It had been planned that Michael was to ride in the first Moto-cross  meeting after his father had acquired the reigns of ELSWORTH Moto-Park. Michael  had  cancelled  lucrative meeting abroad just to be free to ride for his father  as a promotion.    Believing,  Lee was free,  the Speedway board  instructed him to race against Kennett  that same weekend .   Michael explained it  was not possible as he was booked elsewhere, but they wouldn't recognise moto-cross meeting as a  excuse and wouldn't take no for an answer.   All arrangements were put in place believing Lee would change his mind and ride both home and away legs.    

However,  After winning the home leg 2-0  on the Saturday night, Michael gave the Helmut to Kennett to take home with him, telling him he would not be there for the return leg, because as he had promised he would be  at the Elsworth meeting . So one has to believe that Eastbourne were aware that Lee was not going to  race there.   They could have let the fans know, had they wanted to be up front..... 

This whole sorry episode could and should have been avoided.    The governing Powers should have been more understanding instead  of taking  a high handed approach, and no doubt Lee should have made the situation more public,  but he was always of the impression that he was victimised.  This will be remembered as  just another notch  that killed some interest we supporters had    At the end of the day it was the fans who missed out again ...       

Edited by g13webb
  • Like 1

When Michael won the World Championship, I was on holiday in Spain. Desperate to know the result, (in the days before mobile phones and the internet), I decided to place a phone call from my Spanish hotel reception to my Dad who was keeping an eye on the result in the newspaper. When he read me the result over the phone, I leapt out of the phone booth shouting  Yes..yes...yes! The spanish girl on reception must have thought I was mad! Great days and such a talent on a bike. One wonders just what would have happened, had he really applied his skill to the sport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, g13webb said:

Sydney,  ,I cant comment  on the Moran clash, but  was in the know in regard the the Kennett challenge.   It had been planned that Michael was to ride in the first Moto-cross  meeting after his father had acquired the reigns of ELSWORTH Moto-Park. Michael  had  cancelled  lucrative meeting abroad just to be free to ride for his father  as a promotion.    Believing,  Lee was free,  the Speedway board  instructed him to race against Kennett  that same weekend .   Michael explained it  was not possible as he was booked elsewhere, but they wouldn't recognise moto-cross meeting as a  excuse and wouldn't take no for an answer.   All arrangements were put in place believing Lee would change his mind and ride both home and away legs.    

However,  After winning the home leg 2-0  on the Saturday night, Michael gave the Helmut to Kennett to take home with him, telling him he would not be there for the return leg, because as he had promised he would be  at the Elsworth meeting . So one has to believe that Eastbourne were aware that Lee was not going to  race there.   They could have let the fans know, had they wanted to be up front..... 

This whole sorry episode could and should have been avoided.    The governing Powers should have been more understanding instead  of taking  a high handed approach, and no doubt Lee should have made the situation more public,  but he was always of the impression that he was victimised.  This will be remembered as  just another notch  that killed some interest we supporters had    At the end of the day it was the fans who missed out again ...       

Great post he was victimised no doubts about that and the referee Eglese was a total disgrace in the Kings Lynn v Poole incident in 1984.All the riders involved in that incident all wrote letters to the control board but there was no budging them they had a agenda.Look we all know Mike was no angel but he was a marked man the disgraceful decision to stop Mike riding in the 1984 British Final after his ban was reduced was scandalous.But you know what, as you said the paying speedway public were punished and robbed of seeing this unique talent perform.

Edited by Sidney the robin

19 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Great post he was victimised no doubts about that and the referee Aglese was a total disgrace in the Kings Lynn v Poole incident in 1984.All the riders involved in that incident all wrote letters to the control board but there was no budging them they had a agenda.Look we all know Mike was no angel but he was a marked man the disgraceful decision to stop Mike riding in the 1984 British Final after his ban was reduced was scandalous.But you know what as you said the paying speedway public were punished and robbed of seeing this unique talent perform.

I think the person was John Eglese.

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Great post he was victimised no doubts about that and the referee Eglese was a total disgrace in the Kings Lynn v Poole incident in 1984.All the riders involved in that incident all wrote letters to the control board but there was no budging them they had a agenda.Look we all know Mike was no angel but he was a marked man the disgraceful decision to stop Mike riding in the 1984 British Final after his ban was reduced was scandalous.But you know what, as you said the paying speedway public were punished and robbed of seeing this unique talent perform.

Totally agree with you Sydney,   That five year ban was a joke  aimed solely to stop him riding.    When his appeal was heard on the day of the British final ,    because the case was so fictitious, everyone assume it would be thrown out of court leaving him free to ride in the final that night.   Hundred of supporters travelled to Coventry believing he would ride only to be informed over the loudspeaker, that the BSPA then concocted another offence  against him with this time a 12 month ban instead of the five year one.   It was so obvious to each and everyone one of us that they were out to get him no matter what........

I can personally name 6 people who travelled to that British final that night   who, on hearing the announcement, packed up and went straight home, never to go to another speedway meeting again....

Since that day in question the belief of many Stars supporters have never been so keen as they were years gone by.        When somebody Like Michael Lee comes along to grace our sport, one would have thought the powers in charge would do everything in their power to use situation to elevate this sport to greater heights,   But it appeared these people were so jealous of his ability to enthral vast crowd they did their upmost to destroy him...   

Its no surprise, when thinking back 40 years, when we ruled the world,  and this sport was compared with football  , that we are now the poor relation when neither the fans nor the riders want to participate.  and how much blame can be proportioned to the people who made all those dreadful decisions....         

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1