British Speedway Forum

Strange that the FIM ban Anlas tyres for GP's and British speedway announce they'll be used here next season.

Tyres have often proved a bane within speedway...recall so many instances whereby meetings were either held up or protests put in place due to the irregularities and/or confusion over various makes and their legality in the eyes of the authorities,

Edited by steve roberts

I can remember in the late 90s when the tyre softening reared its head again and I think it was around then they brought in fitting a tyre at the meeting, someone would bring 14 tyres and the machine examiner would write the date on the tyre with a white marker pen and then the rider would fit his tyre, some would fit the tyre in the pits some would go to there van and fit it, not saying it happened but remember the saying “here is one I prepared earlier” with the correct date writ on comes from the van 10 mins later ;) I think that died out in recent times as I never saw it in my mechanic days but I think the focus of the cheating changed from tyres to fuel and for a time silencers 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Strange that the FIM ban Anlas tyres for GP's and British speedway announce they'll be used here next season.

I did hear a few weeks back that mitas has new owners and they were saying there is not enough money in producing speedway tyres but anyway anlas seem keen so why not, what happened to the golden tyre ?? 

same old speedway bullsh1t...the rumours always float around the sport when someone is going well...dodgy tyres, dodgy carb, dodgy fuel,  over sized engine, engine springs etc etc etc...whats next, riders using technology to hear a sound when at the gate that the tapes are just about to go up?!

1 hour ago, Odds On said:

same old speedway bullsh1t...the rumours always float around the sport when someone is going well...dodgy tyres, dodgy carb, dodgy fuel,  over sized engine, engine springs etc etc etc...whats next, riders using technology to hear a sound when at the gate that the tapes are just about to go up?!

While there are always rumours around and it’s true when someone is going well these rumours are vibrant but I was there with the tyres cheating in the 90s and I saw with my own eyes a modified silencer from a top star and it wasn’t just the hole drilling either which was widespread a few years ago, even in poland right now they are thinking of introducing fitting a standard tanks  before meeting, cheating has always gone on and always   

• Like 1

I still can remember the farce at Coventry with the solid block tyres they tried to bring in, and I wasn’t even there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Didn't they also used to spray the tyres with the wd 40 or brake/clutch cleaner? 

Thinners, Brake cleaner , anything that dries quickly , not wd40, wd40 was used by some including me to make fitting the tyres easier but only round the rim of tyre not on the tread

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, marko said:

I still can remember the farce at Coventry with the solid block tyres they tried to bring in, and I wasn’t even there.

LOL.. I was!!!! MOM Chris Manchester ( but all in vain...)

Xylene was the best for softening, trouble was you ended up with melted rubber everywhere, some clever people made up a rotating bath that you could leave the tyre in for a few hours, so i have heard lol.

Speedway.......... The only motorsport I can think of that specifically uses a control tyre to reduce costs, even the playing field, and prevent a tyre war. And then allows the use of another alternative tyre. You couldn't make it up. Anlas have only been courted by various speedway bodies over the last few years as Mitas have been threatening to pull out for a while. So they allowed their use to keep them around, same as their encouragement with the Golden Tyre in the past.  Can you imagine Ferrari turning up at the next F1 Grand Prix and saying, we want to use some other tyres because we don't like these Pirelli's and my best mate just took a kick back off of this other manufacturer. Speedway exists in spite of the clowns running it, not because of.:rolleyes:

• Like 3

diesel fuel used to be good for making the tyres soft . just one drawback . the smell .

do thetystill cut the treads on the rear tyres or is that old fashioned . 

15 hours ago, jenga said:

do thetystill cut the treads on the rear tyres or is that old fashioned . 

They come ready cut.

5 hours ago, *JJ said:

They come ready cut.

Must have been a "tyre" some procedure cutting them!