British Speedway Forum

7 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

There might be a vacancy for you soon, at the BSPA!

I'm not THAT big a clown (despite my profile picture)...

• Haha 1

To be precise , it was nitromethane that was added.

I was asked if I could get some for a rider.

I could not help but when he got it , he said it added a lot of power.

To my knowledge it was never legal but it was made illegal

I knew a grass track rider in 1975 on a Antig 500 short stroke JAP that used 70% Methanol 20% Nitromethane 5% Acetone 5% Benzene.

All purchased from Newton oil Birmingham

heard talk of some riders spraying their air filters with something just a couple of years ago, allegedly helped them at the start if they didn't do a practice start on the way to tapes .. just a rumour though 

29 minutes ago, stevehone said:

heard talk of some riders spraying their air filters with something just a couple of years ago, allegedly helped them at the start if they didn't do a practice start on the way to tapes .. just a rumour though 

Recall hair spray (?) on tyres being banned for indoor events that were all the craze back in the late seventies/early eighties.

• Like 1

a little bit of model airplane fuel helped with power but the clued up people in the pits could smell it a mile off..

1 hour ago, stevehone said:

There was also talk of riders putting small amount of water in fuel line to help with a good start.

23 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

There was also talk of riders putting small amount of water in fuel line to help with a good start.

Finn Thomsen 1977-1978 would put a cup of warer in his fuel when track got slick

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sommelier said:

Finn Thomsen 1977-1978 would put a cup of warer in his fuel when track got slick

I had heard of that one.

On 9/15/2020 at 10:06 AM, stevehone said:

A bit more than that, but apparently not big enough to create a bump on the carpet it was swept under...

• Like 2

On 9/15/2020 at 4:44 AM, Fromafar said:

Is/was that illegal, or is that not covered specifically? Is there something in the rules about additives - and would water be considered an "additive"?

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Is/was that illegal, or is that not covered specifically? Is there something in the rules about additives - and would water be considered an "additive"?

Don’t really know.There was a lot of riders doing it though.

25 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t really know.There was a lot of riders doing it though.

Interesting... Wonder if anyone on here knows the answer?

2 hours ago, chunky said:

2016 track racing technical rules clearly say only pure methanol can be used.

1 hour ago, f-s-p said:

2016 track racing technical rules clearly say only pure methanol can be used.

I figured; thanks. I don't suppose you have any idea what it said years ago?