British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Prague GP`s rounds 5 and 6 Friday and Saturday September 18th and 19th

3 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

MotoGp must have a system that detects the finest of movement. I think it was Argentina GP last year, Cal Crutchlow moved ever so slightly, just moved - didnt go, it was detected and he had to do a "pit ride through" which costs about 30 seconds.  They magnified his front wheel, did it in slowmo, yet ou could only just see the movement - as I said, such a small movement yet it was detected.  Would be a bit crazy giving a speedway rider a "pit ride through" penalty though ! 

Moto GP have cameras on every grid slot and they are checked after every start. You now get a long lap penalty as the pit ride through was deemed to harsh.

• Like 1

As I have said before, it’s similar to the league play offs and the majority of fans are in favour of that system even though a team can finish mid table and still be crowned champions.

I would prefer 20 straight heats and what you score is just that, but it does lack drama, these gimmicks have been introduced over the years to make it more interesting and make up for the fact that racing at times can be very dull and predictable after the start, so the focus is on manipulating the contest to keep it interesting.

In the grand prixs though, most meetings are held on big tracks where speed is king, need more variety, imagine having a GP on a track shaped like Monmore Green, Eastbourne, or Ipswich? Less reliance on pure speed, and more on actual track craft. 

• Thanks 2

Fingers crossed for better than last night. Have a feeling the racing will be better. It can’t be worse, surely?

3 hours ago, marko said:

As I have said before, it’s similar to the league play offs and the majority of fans are in favour of that system even though a team can finish mid table and still be crowned champions.

I would prefer 20 straight heats and what you score is just that, but it does lack drama, these gimmicks have been introduced over the years to make it more interesting and make up for the fact that racing at times can be very dull and predictable after the start, so the focus is on manipulating the contest to keep it interesting.

In the grand prixs though, most meetings are held on big tracks where speed is king, need more variety, imagine having a GP on a track shaped like Monmore Green, Eastbourne, or Ipswich? Less reliance on pure speed, and more on actual track craft. 

One of the best ever international meetings of all time was the WTC at Poole in 2004. An absolute classic meeting which had everything. Great racing, massive controversy and a packed overflowing crowd. On what is today classed as a small 300 metre race track.

9 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

The technology is available to take any subjectivity out of the equation. A movement sensor on all bikes, aligned to the release of the tape mechanism. As soon as the green lights come on the sensor becomes live, and if a rider moves before the tapes are released he is out. Very straight forward to do and would remove the ref from making subjective calls. 

I can't believe in this day and age there is not a better system. PE beams are one way. Why for instance has no one pointed out that the tapes do not go up level? They lag in the middle, some worse than others. Break a beam and your engine stops. Simples!! Yesterday was awful. 

• Like 1

Wow some fascinating clutch analysis from Scott. Like it.

• Like 4

Just now, Steve Shovlar said:

Wow some fascinating clutch analysis from Scott. Like it.

Yes excellent

What a pity Craig Ackroyd cannot watch it.

• Haha 2

Already looks a better track, Lindback, ridiculous how he let Madsen through, just doesn't seem interested.

13 hours ago, HenryW said:

I'm not sure about mobile devices, but if you have a laptop or PC and can do frame by frame on youtube - "." key (full stop) to move one frame forward and "," key (comma)  to move one back, it really looks to me like he didn't move until the tapes were moving.

Don't get me wrong....He clearly anticipated the start. That was NOT a reaction to the tapes being released. Apart from anything else, he was looking at the tapes in front of himself rather than the pole and when he moved the tapes in front of him hadn't moved...I'd love to hear any theory about why Leon does that when everyone else looks at the pole/magnet. 

However, as my understanding of the rules are, that was a perfect start. He didn't move until the tapes moved. It was impossible for him to have reacted that fast, but I don't think the rules say anything about reaction time...I could be wrong, though, as I haven't checked any rule changes in recent years.

It took me a few goes, so it just show how hard it is for the ref, but yes I have to agree with your good self. It looked like he made a perfect jump!!

Nicki  P would have left his left leg out there and slid off...

Then stayed down until his mechanic told him his bike was fine...:D

Edited by mikebv