British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Prague GP`s rounds 5 and 6 Friday and Saturday September 18th and 19th

3 hours ago, False dawn said:

Absolutely. I can remeber but a few riders in the past 50 years that are so exciting to watch. Particularly his all action style.
I'm sure I can think of a few but Bobby Ott springs to mind.

I'm told when Bobby signed for Hull in early 1996, he obtained 2 new standard JAWAs and simply got on with it, with mostly just himself wielding the spanners.  His '96 season ended early due to injury, his bikes were sold and the riders in question (names redacted) were nowhere near as spectacular as was 'Showtime', but ,wow, was he geat to watch.....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling due to use of clever words
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, martinmauger said:

with mostly just himself wielding the spanners. 

He was the same at Wimbledon. He done his own spanners. His wife was very vocal when Bobby was in the race lol

6 hours ago, martinmauger said:

I'm told when Bobby signed for Hull in early 1996, he obtained 2 new standard JAWAs and simply got on with it, with mostly just himsel

f wielding the spanners.  His '96 season ended early due to injury, his bikes were sold and the riders in question (names redacted) were nowhere near as spectacular as was 'Showtime', but ,wow, was he geat to watch.....

One of my favourite ever riders..

Used to use a uni cycle to practice balancing...

Several times I  saw him slide off' and then picked the bike up all in one movement and carried on..:o

I remember him doing it at Kirky Lane and getting excluded because (I think) Ronnie Correy laid his bike down to avoid him..

His face must have been a picture, laying a bike down to avoid another rider and that rider clearing off into the distance..:D

And Wolves '93 for me gave me one of the best nights ever of my life..

I can still see Peter Karlsson and Henka Gustafsson talking tactics at the gate of the Championship last heat decider when Bobby rode in between them and said something along the lines of  "Hi Guys, isn't this great?"..:D

And then went off and won the race handing the Aces the title.. 

An Aces legend for ever more...

29 minutes ago, mikebv said:

One of my favourite ever riders..

Used to use a uni cycle to practice balancing...

Several times I  saw him slide off' and then picked the bike up all in one movement and carried on..:o

I remember him doing it at Kirky Lane and getting excluded because (I think) Ronnie Correy laid his bike down to avoid him..

His face must have been a picture, laying a bike down to avoid another rider and that rider clearing off into the distance..:D

And Wolves '93 for me gave me one of the best nights ever of my life..

I can still see Peter Karlsson and Henka Gustafsson talking tactics at the gate of the Championship last heat decider when Bobby rode in between them and said something along the lines of  "Hi Guys, isn't this great?"..:D

And then went off and won the race handing the Aces the title.. 

An Aces legend for ever more...

That was a tremendous night at Monmore Green. Do you recall Karlsson's last bend manoeuvre which got him an exclusion from the race? An odd move from him considering the meeting was lost with Ott winning ..:D

12 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHY cannot you accept that he is the best rider. Of course bikes are checked.Do you seriously think any rider would cheat?

Yes

• Haha 1

Saturday nights GP was much better than Friday’s with an excellent final, Zmarzlik has made himself firm favourite now and few can argue with that.

He is just a very talented speedway rider that’s at the top of his form at present. Three GP wins out of 6 rounds says it all.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Zmarzlik just has the fastest bikes. I hope the FIM check the cc of them.  The speed generated when Woffinden is on the faster line seems ridiculous.

Do you still think he’s boring after last night?

He has to be by far the most exciting rider to watch in the Grand Prixs currently 

• Like 2

I wasn't totally convinced by Zmarlik... until last night, he's a different class at the moment, the move he pulled on Woffy in the final, for me, is up there with the memorable moments of the GP's Tricks "wall of death" at Cardiff and Gollobs las bend swoop on Jimmy Nilsen at Bigdosh.

He's head an shoulders above anybody else in this years series 17 race points clear of the next best (Woffy)

On another point... did anybody notice Pat Dudeks helmet last night? WTF was going on with the front of it? 2:04:21

Edited by iainb

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

That was a tremendous night at Monmore Green. Do you recall Karlsson's last bend manoeuvre which got him an exclusion from the race? An odd move from him considering the meeting was lost with Ott winning ..:D

I remember it, pretty sure he wasn't excluded though?

I have been a very big fan of Emil from the first time I saw him, but his inconsistency really frustrates me. He should have been world champion years ago but I don’t see him making it now. He can be brilliant and all at sea in the space of two heats, winning his toughest races and trailing in last in the ones he should easily win. He is a proven winner and I am always willing him on, but he is difficult to understand.

22 minutes ago, iainb said:

I wasn't totally convinced by Zmarlik... until last night, he's a different class at the moment, the move he pulled on Woffy in the final, for me, is up there with the memorable moments of the GP's Tricks "wall of death" at Cardiff and Gollobs las bend swoop on Jimmy Nilsen at Bigdosh.

He's head an shoulders above anybody else in this years series 17 race points clear of the next best (Woffy)

On another point... did anybody notice Pat Dudeks helmet last night? WTF was going on with the front of it?

SEVEN points ahead not 17

6 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I remember it, pretty sure he wasn't excluded though?

You could well be right, it was a long time ago.:D

I had it in my mind that PK dumped Screen? into the fence on the last bend and got an exclusion for his trouble.

2 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

I had it in my mind that PK dumped Screen? into the fence on the last bend and got an exclusion for his trouble.

It was Jason Lyons.

Pretty sure didn't go into the fence either, PK just blocked him (aggressively) off so Henka came through.

Definitely not excluded as race ended a 3-3 and score 54-53.

4 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

It was Jason Lyons and he didn't get excluded. .

Presume a 'tad' pissed off....:D

1 minute ago, BWitcher said:

It was Jason Lyons.

Pretty sure didn't go into the fence either, PK just blocked him (aggressively) off so Henka came through.

Definitely not excluded as race ended a 3-3 and score 54-53.

O K , I am getting old & the memory isn't what it once was.:D