British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Compact Team Performances

I think when the Russians came over in (maybe) 1965 at Wimbledon - Plechanov and Samoradov scored significantly more than the rest of the team put together.

54 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Seem to remember the comets won at rye house with 3 riders scoring 39 between them and steve  lawson getting the odd point for the win.think the other 3 were mitch graham mal mackay and alan cowland anyone confirm?

That is a another thing completely - and I have that on the list for later!

26 minutes ago, spinkox said:

I think when the Russians came over in (maybe) 1965 at Wimbledon - Plechanov and Samoradov scored significantly more than the rest of the team put together.

As I said, that is one for later, but I still think Eastbourne at Swindon (1980) get that award with Kennett and Niemi scoring 40 of 46 points.

16 hours ago, norbold said:

Funnily enough, that was the only time I ever saw Southampton. For some reason I had missed them in both 1960 and 61.

The score was P.L. 30 Southampton 46.

PL Select: Colin Pratt 11, Ivor Brown 8, Les McGillivray 5, Ray Cresp 3, Trevor Redmond 2, Danny Dunton 1, Pete Jarman 0

Southampton: Bjorn Knutson 11 (beaten by Colin Pratt), Ross Gilbertson 8, Chum Taylor 7, Colin Gooddy 7, Reg Luckhurst 6, Peter Vandenberg 5, Alby Golden 2

I was at that meeting as well. I happened to be in the car park when Knutson was off loading his bike and Colin Pratt walked by. Björn greeted him with, "hello Mr. Maximum" so I think he knew what to expect.

39 minutes ago, chunky said:

As I said, that is one for later, but I still think Eastbourne at Swindon (1980) get that award with Kennett and Niemi scoring 40 of 46 points.

I saw Nordin (15) and Erskine (15) score 30 out of 33 for Newport at Wolverhampton in 1966.

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Seem to remember the comets won at rye house with 3 riders scoring 39 between them and steve  lawson getting the odd point for the win.think the other 3 were mitch graham mal mackay and alan cowland anyone confirm?

That’s correct. Match was ridden on 9 June 1974. Workington won 40-38 with Alan Cowland 14, Mitch Graham 13 and  Mal Mackay 12 out of a total of 40 !

11 minutes ago, BL65 said:

I saw Nordin (15) and Erskine (15) score 30 out of 33 for Newport at Wolverhampton in 1966.

Ah! Okay, I will start another thread today, then.

2 hours ago, chunky said:

Ah! Okay, I will start another thread today, then.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

2 minutes ago, norbold said:

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

It's what happens when you are a fraud...

• Haha 1

Guest compost

Came across an example for you from 1931.

1st August Stamford Bridge vs Manchester.  Stamford riders scored either 5,6 or 7 - Frank Arthur & Gus Kuhn 7, Dick Smythe 6 and Charlie Blacklock, Bill Stanley & Arthur Warwick all on 5. League match but only over 9 heats so not sure if it really does count.

On a related note, the Sheffield team in 1973 had less than an average of 2 points from 1-7 at the end of the season, and still managed to let Reading win the league

• Like 1