British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Unbalanced Team Performances

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

I did mention that in the initial post, Steve!

Sorry mate...just got in from another fishing trip and feeling flustered!

I was at that match also!

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, BL65 said:

Exeter: Sampson 1, Shuter 1, Kilby 0, Keen 0
Newcastle: Kilby 2, Sampson 1, Jackson 0 Shuter 0
Halifax: Bowers 2, Keen 1, Sampson 1, Kilby 0

Cheers..local lads Kilbs and Keener would become prolific scorers and loyal long serving clubmen.

Edited by auntie doris

1 hour ago, RS50 said:

Not sure what the lowest number possible is, but in the Scunthorpe Newport match in 2006 only 5 different riders won a race. 

Over the years, I would think that three would be the normal (though unlikely) minimum for a 13-heat match (without any crazy situations). The only other possibility is if you had a 21-point maximum and an 18-point maximum in the same match, and i really how feasible that is (if at all).

Of course, I'm sure that our good friend BL65 would have said something!

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

22 May 1948 - Edinburgh 29 Newcastle 55 - Wilf Jay, Alec Grant and Charlie Spinks all scored 12 point maximums.

So that was a 14-heater, I take it? Of course, 14-16 heat matches give a few more options, but that is still great! More importantly, that is probably the only time that an away team has achieved that!

Edited by chunky

In September 1966 Rick France, Col Cottrell and Jim Lightfoot scored 12 point maximums for Coventry against a Swindon team missing Barry Briggs.  Nigel Boocock scored 8 and 4 bonus, finishing behind Cottrell three times and Lightfoot.  They almost repeated the feat the following week in the Midland Cup against Wolverhampton, the only difference being that France fell in one race and only scored 9.

The same team then went to Long Eaton and won 46-32, with France 15, Lightfoot 14 and Boocock 11 totalling 40. 

Edited by BL65

4 minutes ago, BL65 said:

In September 1966 Rick France, Col Cottrell and Jim Lightfoot scored 12 point maximums for Coventry against a Swindon team missing Barry Briggs.  Nigel Boocock scored 8 and 4 bonus, finishing behind Cottrell three times and Lightfoot.  They almost repeated the feat the following week in the Midland Cup against Wolverhampton, the only difference being that France fell in one race and only scored 9.

Swindon lost their 3 year unbeaten home record in 68 , no Briggo, Mauger and Olsen running riot in a 39-38 Newcastle win at The Abbey.

4 minutes ago, BL65 said:

That Glasgow - Long Eaton match you mentioned; both Bruce Ovenden and Graham Coombes score 8 + 4! I'm sure THAT is the only time that's happened - three 12's and two 8 + 4...

You know, this stuff is exactly why we love the BSF!

Try these examples from Newcastle 1983. Oxford away- Joe Owen and Rod Hunter scored 20 points each (both paid 21 maximums) in a 49-47 win, at Weymouth KOC meeting, Rod Hunter with a 21 point maximum and Joe Owen 14 points from a 41-55 loss, or at Exeter Joe Owen 19 and Rod Hunter 17 points in a 42-54 loss.

Edited by steve19620

26th April 1979 at Oxford, Glasgow's Derek Richardson 12 & Steve Lawson 10 out of 26 (13 heats).

27th June 1981 at Glasgow, Crayford's Alan Sage 10 & Berry Thomas 6 out of 20 (13 heats).

11th September 1982 at Berwick, Kenny McKinna 20 (+1) & Steve Lawson 17 out of 42 (16 heats).

Not quite on topic, but close enough I think, does Steve Lawson's record of 16 out of 23 at Arena in 1985 still stand as highest percentage of a team's total by one rider?

Edited by daveallan81
Update

41 minutes ago, steve19620 said:

Try these examples from Newcastle 1983. Oxford away- Joe Owen and Rod Hunter scored 20 points each (both paid 21 maximums) in a 49-47 win, at Weymouth KOC meeting, Rod Hunter with a 21 point maximum and Joe Owen 14 points from a 41-55 loss, or at Exeter Joe Owen 19 and Rod Hunter 17 points in a 42-54 loss.

Remember it well. Did the same duo achieve something similar at Mildenhall and Canterbury during the same season...viewed both with my cousin who was a "Diamonds" fan and we took in both matches.

42 minutes ago, daveallan81 said:

Not quite on topic, but close enough I think, does Steve Lawson's record of 16 out of 23 at Arena in 1985 still stand as highest percentage of a team's total by one rider?

Excellent!

So we started with Nigel Boocock and 16 from 24.

Now Steve Lawson has it with 16 from 23.

Any advance on that?

I know that on their travels, Steve really was a "one-man team" on many occasions.

1 minute ago, chunky said:

Excellent!

So we started with Nigel Boocock and 16 from 24.

Now Steve Lawson has it with 16 from 23.

Any advance on that?

I know that on their travels, Steve really was a "one-man team" on many occasions.

Glasgow scored 439 NL points away from home in 1985 - Lawson scored 201 of them. Yeh we kinda relied on him somewhat :D

One for the three riders list: 28/29 25th July 1984 Long Eaton 49 Glasgow 29 (Lawson 13, Collins 9, Reid 6)

Recall Jurica Pavlic, a one hit wonder,.and Sir Leigh Adams scoring 21 and 18 I think? as Swindon won at Arena Essex. Adams carried Swindon at times, as Ashby, Crump and Briggo did on occasions.

Edited by auntie doris

24 minutes ago, daveallan81 said:

Glasgow scored 439 NL points away from home in 1985 - Lawson scored 201 of them. Yeh we kinda relied on him somewhat :D

That's ridiculous! Says it all, really...