British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Unbalanced Team Performances

2 hours ago, chunky said:

That Glasgow - Long Eaton match you mentioned; both Bruce Ovenden and Graham Coombes score 8 + 4! I'm sure THAT is the only time that's happened - three 12's and two 8 + 4...

You are probably correct.  Another meeting with three riders completing 12 point maximums was Edinburgh v Sheffield in September 1967 (George Hunter, Doug Templeton and Bert Harkins for the home team).

A few more:
Nigel Boocock 15, Norman Hunter 13 and Col Cottrell 5 scored 33 out of the 34 points Coventry managed at Wimbledon in 1966.
Ove Fundin 14, Tommy Roper 10 and Cyril Maidment 9 scored 33 out of the 34 points Belle Vue totalled at home to West Ham in 1967.

Plus, a meeting I attended, Cradley Heath v Belle Vue in 1968, when Tommy Roper (16) and Cyril Maidment (14) scored 30 out of 33 for the visitors.  Sandor Levai scored the other 3, so between them these three scored all of their team's points.  Belle Vue were using R/R for Soren Sjosten so there were three non-scoring riders, Eyre, Powell and Pusey.

• Like 1

Nigel Boocock (11) and Rick France (9) scored 20 out of 23 in a 55-23 defeat at Belle Vue in 1968 and Boocock got 14 out of 27 at Sheffield the same season. Despite all this one-sidedness Coventry actually won the league that year!

Guest compost
19 hours ago, chunky said:

n a similar subject, I have two associated questions:

1) Have THREE members of a team ever scored a full 12-point maximum in the same match? Obviously, because of the format, I know it couldn't be the three regular heat-leader positions. And no, I am not including the standard 18-heat formula either. 

For Wembley vs New Cross in the League on the 23rd May 1946 Tommy Price, George Wilks and Bill Kitchen all scored 4-12

For Bristol vs Fleetwood in the League on the 6th May 1949 Fred Tuck, Billy Hole & Eric Salmon also all scored 4-12.

Bristol in 1949 had multiple cases of at least 3 unbeaten riders in a meeting but I didn't think these came within the questions remit as they were not cases of 4-12.

Best winning unbalanced performance:

Oxford 47 Newcastle 49 from 1983

Both Rod Hunter and Joe Owen scored 20+1 for Newcastle - two riders scoring 40 out of 49 for a winning side!  Also, unless anyone can find evidence to the contrary, the only time two seven-ride paid maximums were scored in the same meeting!

• Like 1

I know this doesn't match the criteria but for heavy scoring how about Norwich v USSR Tourists in 1964.  For Norwich, Fundin 18, Nygren 17, Hedge 9 and Bales 8 scored 52 out of a total of 53, with the other three riders contributing one point between them from 14 rides. The visitors were double-booked and so only had four riders available, two others taking part in a best pairs at Swindon.  They scored 55 and still won, using an improvised form of rider replacement, each taking 9 rides in an 18 heat match - Plechanov 19, Kurilenko 16, Kadirov 11, Chekranov 9.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BL65 said:

I know this doesn't match the criteria but for heavy scoring how about Norwich v USSR Tourists in 1964.  For Norwich, Fundin 18, Nygren 17, Hedge 9 and Bales 8 scored 52 out of a total of 53, with the other three riders contributing one point between them from 14 rides. The visitors were double-booked and so only had four riders available, two others taking part in a best pairs at Swindon.  They scored 55 and still won, using an improvised form of rider replacement, each taking 9 rides in an 18 heat match - Plechanov 19, Kurilenko 16, Kadirov 11, Chekranov 9.

WOW - Fundin and Nygren against Plechanov and Kurilenko. Four world class riders who seldom rode against each other. It must have been a privilege to watch the action.

43 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

Best winning unbalanced performance:

Oxford 47 Newcastle 49 from 1983

Both Rod Hunter and Joe Owen scored 20+1 for Newcastle - two riders scoring 40 out of 49 for a winning side!  Also, unless anyone can find evidence to the contrary, the only time two seven-ride paid maximums were scored in the same meeting!

two nights before rod hunter 21pt maximum joe owen 14(including 1 fall) 35 out of 41 in a knock out cup defeat 55-41 at weymouth.martin scarsibrick scored 5 out of the other 6.

a week later joe owen 19 rod hunter 17 in a 54-42 defeat at Exeter, alan emerson scored 4 out of the other 6.

Edited by Tracy Bird

14 minutes ago, Tracy Bird said:

two nights before rod hunter 21pt maximum joe owen 14(including 1 fall) 35 out of 41 in a knock out cup defeat 55-41 at weymouth.martin scarsibrick scored 5 out of the other 6.

a week later joe owen 19 rod hunter 17 in a 54-42 defeat at Exeter, alan emerson scored 4 out of the other 6.

The other two are still unbalanced - but the Oxford win is impressive because it's unbalanced and they still managed to win!

Newcastle had  two riders out injured bobby beaton and alan emerson at weymouth and oxford,emerson rode the night after oxford at Peterborough so they had hunter,owen, Scarisbrick and 3 juniors as a team.

30 minutes ago, Tracy Bird said:

Newcastle had  two riders out injured bobby beaton and alan emerson at weymouth and oxford,emerson rode the night after oxford at Peterborough so they had hunter,owen, Scarisbrick and 3 juniors as a team.

...and I believe Ipswich loanee (?) Lawrie Bloomfield had a run out or two?

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

...and I believe Ipswich loanee (?) Lawrie Bloomfield had a run out or two?

aswell as greg dekok,chris pailor,noel Barnsley ,ian Humphreys,andy nightingale and phil ransom.

On 9/16/2020 at 2:33 PM, chunky said:

So now, I am interested in cases where most of the team DIDN'T pull their weight. I am not talking about a solo performance, but where two or three riders did the bulk of the scoring.

The one that always stood out for me was Swindon vs Eastbourne in 1980, where Gordon Kennett (21) and Kai Niemi (19) scored 40 points out of 46.

I just heard of a similar case where Gote Nordin and Jon Erskine scored 15 each for Newport, who only scored 33 at Wolves in 1965.

Are there any other REALLY top-heavy displays?

On a similar subject, I have two associated questions:

1) Have THREE members of a team ever scored a full 12-point maximum in the same match? Obviously, because of the format, I know it couldn't be the three regular heat-leader positions. And no, I am not including the standard 18-heat formula either.

2) Does anyone know the FEWEST number of individual heat winners in a match? Obviously, if there were three full maximums, then that would be four. Have there perhaps been two 18-point maximums in a 13-heat match? Or even an 18 and a 15?

In 1980, when Jiri Stancl and Ole Olsen recorded 15-point maximums on opposing sides (Reading vs Coventry), there were only four individual heat winners then. Bobby Schwartz (2) and Bernie Leigh were the others.

3 maximums, Sheffield v Belle Vue 1968, cant remember who but three Sheffield riders got 12 point maximums

Edit see someone beat me to it, with the riders names as well

Edited by The Third Man

4 hours ago, Tracy Bird said:

aswell as greg dekok,chris pailor,noel Barnsley ,ian Humphreys,andy nightingale and phil ransom.

Blimey! Forgotten about Greg Dekok...he occasionally rode in second halves at Cowley.