British Speedway Forum
Mark

Tape infringement

6 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Or we could just have the radical idea of you're only exclude if you touch the tapes?!? 

Speedway doesn't & has no real need for transponder technology. 

With regards to Madsen, he just has exceptional gating ability. What needs to be worked on is the slack in the tapes. Noticed many times that riders were accused of jumping when in fact the outside of the tapes are released. Theres a split second where the centre of the tapes are still in a stationery position & if you're on gate 2 or 3 & make a perfect start it looks far worse than on gate 1 & 4.

Question - If Madsen is such an exceptional gater (no argument from me) why does he continually jump the starts.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, False dawn said:

A slightly nerdy aside.....
We were reminded on Saturday that the FIM rules don't allow dead heats. If two riders finish on the exact same time, to 3 decimal places, is the ref expected to judge the relative finishing positions to a greater degree of accuracy? Not sure what distance a thousandth of second represents, but it can't be much more than a fag paper! These refs can't be blind after all. 

Don't forget it's only Nigel Pearson saying this... Do we know that this is still actually the case now transponders have been brought in?

Allow movement at the start, just like the good old days....adds to the tension and also give a 'lesser' abled rider the chance to make the gate and adds to the excitement when the faster rider has to chase him down.....

I must admit I'm in the if you haven't touched the tapes then let it go camp. If you don't have the technology to check for jump starts and 99% of tracks don't then one Refs perspective of who's gone too early will differ from the next. 

Some riders seem to be able to predict when the tapes will go up better than others and sometimes they will demolish them when exclusion is the punishment they will get and deservedly so. 

If the sport had something like the motor x barrier system I've seen elsewhere they certainly wouldn't be trying to get a flyer and risk getting seriously injured. 

I think the powers that be just need to make their minds up on a system or a ruling to sort it out once and for all! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Super Blue said:

I must admit I'm in the if you haven't touched the tapes then let it go camp. If you don't have the technology to check for jump starts and 99% of tracks don't then one Refs perspective of who's gone too early will differ from the next. 

Some riders seem to be able to predict when the tapes will go up better than others and sometimes they will demolish them when exclusion is the punishment they will get and deservedly so. 

If the sport had something like the motor x barrier system I've seen elsewhere they certainly wouldn't be trying to get a flyer and risk getting seriously injured. 

I think the powers that be just need to make their minds up on a system or a ruling to sort it out once and for all! 

Agree that the rule should be exclusion if the tapes are touched.   Simple isn't it.

How would you move the barrier within 15 seconds to avoid a pile up on lap 2 ?

Admittedly I've not been rediculously close to a moto x starting gate but it just looked like it disappeared into the ground from where I stood, if not then my mistake. 

10 minutes ago, Super Blue said:

Admittedly I've not been rediculously close to a moto x starting gate but it just looked like it disappeared into the ground from where I stood, if not then my mistake. 

The start area for Moto x, the gate does drop “flush”  with the start block which is usually concrete. Thing is with Moto x is that per race it is only used once ie it’s part of the course not used for the following laps, unlike speedway. Using the same design on a speedway track probably would cause problems due to a) concrete start block b) metal grid may not give a flush surface  (some bikes are into some sort of slide around the start area at some tracks.)

It was just an idea and I did suggest maybe something like what moto x use. Was trying to come up with a possible plan to stop the jumping starters with the way the rules are at the moment. 

With the way it is though imo they should let everything go unless you touch the tapes, if you do you're out! 

3 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

The start area for Moto x, the gate does drop “flush”  with the start block which is usually concrete. Thing is with Moto x is that per race it is only used once ie it’s part of the course not used for the following laps, unlike speedway. Using the same design on a speedway track probably would cause problems due to a) concrete start block b) metal grid may not give a flush surface  (some bikes are into some sort of slide around the start area at some tracks.)

Didn't they actually try a concrete start block at Canterbury in 1969/70?

Edited by chunky

31 minutes ago, chunky said:

Didn't they actually try a concrete start block at Canterbury in 196970?

Why are we discussing this 

Lets make it simple touch tapes your out

It worked years ago I say bring it back

• Like 5

11 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Question - If Madsen is such an exceptional gater (no argument from me) why does he continually jump the starts.

For the reason in the quote you asked the Question about.

2 hours ago, Super Blue said:

It was just an idea and I did suggest maybe something like what moto x use. Was trying to come up with a possible plan to stop the jumping starters with the way the rules are at the moment. 

With the way it is though imo they should let everything go unless you touch the tapes, if you do you're out! 

This ^^, straight back to the start and keep that pit gate shut unless a rider has a potenially dangerous issue with the bike....

We have all heard what our so called experts say in their Sky commentrey. But the one thing they have all negleted to spot is that the rules state that all riders must line up a maximum of 10CMs from the tapes & remain stationary until the tapes are released & there is only one person in the stadium that knows when the tapes are released & that is the Referee.

Transponders would be a good idea for start line discipline. But like in F1 Moto GP & Drag racing all competitors would be required to line up at a staging point prior to the tapes are released, This could be difficult as in the other sports the cars/bikes are staggered or within a controlled lane.

Drop gates as used in Moto X could not be used as the race has to go over the start line every lap & it would cause delays as the gates would need to be cleaned after each start. You also have to factor in the tractors & the equipment they pull going over them.

The thing's that really annoy me is allowing the race to go on to its finish then warning a rider that moved at the start. But worst of all it's Messers Tatum & Pearson saying a rider has not gained an advantage, The whole idea of the sport is to accumulate as many points as you can so if a rider moves at the start & is in a point scoring position he has gained an advantage

• Like 2