British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 100 - Simon Wigg, Ivan Mauger, Ron Henderson, Canterbury v Eastbourne, Northern Riders' Champs, etc

The 100th collector’s edition of Backtrack is out now and here's a small taste of the feast of nostalgia inside. To subscribe (remember, it's subscription only, no single copy sales), please visit www.retro-speedway.com

SIMON WIGG – Life & Times
As the 20th anniversary of Wiggy’s sad passing approaches, ROB PEASLEY recalls the illustrious career of the colourful former England captain and World No.2 who had personality plus.

ON THE BOSSES – Charles Ochiltree

Love them or hate them, the speedway promoters of the Backtrack era included some of the sport's all-time heavyweights as well as a new brigade of youthful innovators.  As a member of the BSPA in the 70s and 80s, a longtime management committee member and vice-chairman, MARTIN ROGERS rubbed shoulders – and crossed swords – with all of them.

In this, the first of a regular new series, he recalls the impact and influence of the former Coventry supremo.

ROY TRIGG – exclusive interview

In a new four-page interview, MARTIN NEAL catches up with New Zealand-based former England international and Cradley Heath star Roy Trigg, who ended his UK racing career with Newport in 1974.

IVAN'S YEAR - 1979 (part 2)

In the second and final part of his review of Ivan Mauger’s incredible 1979 season, JOHN DAVIDSON on why a shock double triumph marked the end of an era.

ALAN WILKINSON – tribute

Once awestruck by Wilkie’s powerful presence in the Belle Vue engine room, IAN CORCORAN remembers an Aces giant in every sense and explains what drove him to publish courageous Alan’s moving autobiography.

RON HENDERSON – exclusive interview

In a revealing new four-page interview with a key member of Newcastle’s all-conquering class of ’76, Ron Henderson tells KEITH McGHIE why he only sparkled briefly for Diamonds, talks about the fatal incident that led him to quit racing and the extraordinary diverse career path that followed.

TRACK RIVALRIES: Canterbury v Eastbourne
With new observations from Gordon and Barney Kennett, ROB PEASLEY recalls classic second-tier derbies between fierce south-east rivals. Featuring 11 Kingsmead or Arlington matches between 1970 and 1987.

BIG NIGHTS: Northern Riders’ Championship
Continuing to review British speedway's most prestigious individual meetings, this time PHIL CHARD heads back north for some Mauger controversy and allegations of machine tampering in an event previously won by Ivan, Eric Boocock, Jim Airey, Bob Valentine, Peter Collins, Alan Wilkinson, Doug Wyer, Reg Wilson, Kenny Carter, Shawn Moran, Chris Morton and Peter Carr.

THAT NAME RINGS A BELL: Swindon

Whatever became of them, all the ex-riders who had second-half races, junior matches or interval spins in the 70s at . . . SWINDON? In this memory-jogger, ROB PEASLEY lists all those budding one-time Blunsdon hopefuls, including David Ashby, Geoff Bouchard, Malcolm Holloway and Martin Hewlett, whom we can at least look back and say "they had a go!"

www.retro-speedway.com

• Like 1

100 editions - that's some milestone 

I remember picking up that first edition and subscribing at the Stoneleigh event

Also remember the celebrations of Fisher and Janniro in the car park at securing the purchase of a 2nd hand transit - it never ceases to amaze me how excited Americans can get over the most mundane of things :rofl:

• Like 1

Looking forward in receiving my copy...looks to be of its usual high standard!

• Like 1

Mine arrived yesterday - read it from cover to cover. Another great issue.

Hard to believe it's 20 years since Simon Wigg passed away - I could imagine him in a similar role as Scott Nicholls's tv presenting now.

• Like 1

Another great read...interesting interview with Ron Henderson who had shown much potential at Newcastle but decided he had had enough and returned home to Australia. Unfortunately he was involved in the race that ultimately cost the life of Christer Sjosten when Christer ran into the back of him.

• Like 1

Received mine the other day and read every page. 100 edition, lets hope for another 100 and many more. Well done to the team who produce this and keep fans like me still in touch with the sport while racing has temporary stopped :t:

• Like 3

Mine arrived too, great read as always....

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 10:34 PM, bruno said:

Not received mine yet, is it due to arrive this week anyone know

Has your copy arrived yet?