British Speedway Forum
frigbo

Bernt Persson

Just seen a post on Facebook from Karl Fiala saying Cradley legend Bernt Persson has sadly passed away.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, frigbo said:

Just seen a post on Facebook from Karl Fiala saying Cradley legend Bernt Persson has sadly passed away.

Sad news indeed!

RIP Bernie.

My first Speedway hero. 1969 was my first full season and Bernie quickly became the darling of Dudley Wood following his arrival from Coatbridge. 

His Cradley career sadly petered out in a plethora of missed meetings, but in the early 70's our Bernie was, for us, the greatest. So close to winning at Wembley in 1972.

RIP

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

A geniune number one rider,  making seven world finals in a very tough era came very close in 1972. RIP Bernie.

Nice to see you back Sid!

I never sae much of Bernie 'live' but was no doubt one of the big Swedes from that era. Recall he and Anders having a massive fall-out during the 1973 Swedish Championsip Final much to Michanek's regret but thankfully they made up.

15 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Nice to see you back Sid!

I never sae much of Bernie 'live' but was no doubt one of the big Swedes from that era. Recall he and Anders having a massive fall-out during the 1973 Swedish Championsip Final much to Michanek's regret but thankfully they made up.

Must admit Steve i did not see that much of Bernie either a very underrated rider like Bengt Jansson.Even after the Briggo incident i never disliked Bernie he was in a era of a group of great Swedes ( ie)  Anders, Bengt, Tommy, Christer, Soren.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Must admit Steve i did not see that much of Bernie either a very underrated rider like Bengt Jansson.Even after the Briggo incident i never disliked Bernie he was in a era of a group of great Swedes ( ie)  Anders, Bengt, Tommy, Christer, Soren.

Sweden had some great talent during that period Sid...what with the likes of Hasse, Tommy Johannson (who never really got going In the UK due to illness but a good rider) but they all seemed to disappear about the same time due to various reasons and Sweden remained in the doldrums until the likes of Andersson, Nilsen and Jonsson came on the scene.

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Sweden had some great talent during that period Sid...what with the likes of Hasse, Tommy Johannson (who never really got going In the UK due to illness but a good rider) but they all seemed to disappear about the same time due to various reasons and Sweden remained in the doldrums until the likes of Andersson, Nilsen and Jonsson came on the scene.

Johansson reached a world final and won  a Swedish Final championship a  very talented rider indeed.Jan Andersson was a really consistent  rider over the years and Christer Sjosten was also improving up until his untimely death then there was a gap in real star quality until Gustafsson ,Jonsson, Nilsen appeared on the scene.

38 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Johansson reached a world final and won  a Swedish Final championship a  very talented rider indeed.Jan Andersson was a really consistent  rider over the years and Christer Sjosten was also improving up until his untimely death then there was a gap in real star quality until Gustafsson ,Jonsson, Nilsen appeared on the scene.

Recall that storming ride in the 1974 World Final when he passed Ivan as if he was stood still!

Just now, steve roberts said:

Recall that storming ride in the 1974 World Final when he passed Ivan as if he was stood still!

Could Hasse have been a bigger force with a bit of luck Steve???felt he could of reached greater heights a very good rider.Often i missed seeing Hasse ride  as R/R was often used for him which often caused a stir.

6 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Could Hasse have been a bigger force with a bit of luck Steve???felt he could of reached greater heights a very good rider.Often i missed seeing Hasse ride  as R/R was often used for him which often caused a stir.

Yes R/R during 1975 and the bizarre thing that he was then allocated to Wolves for the 1976 season and they operated the facility also!

Going back to Tommy things may have worked out differently for him had he ridden for King's Lynn in 1975 as was planned but the "Stars" management were gazumped by Thomas/Mawdsley and he ended up at Hull! He did indeed win the 1973 Swedish Final but that was after Michanek took Persson out in one race and Bernie either broke an arm or leg...can't remember which...an act that Anders regretted although they did eventually make up although Bernie's wife never forgave him!

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I remember putting a video of a race featuring Tommy Johansson on YouTube a few years and got a message from his daughter thanking me and saying how he had loved seeing it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Grachan said:

I remember putting a video of a race featuring Tommy Johansson on YouTube a few years and got a message from his daughter thanking me and saying how he had loved seeing it.

His son often comments on Facebook  and what a nice guy he is.He often seems a bit surprised on how much his dad is remembered and respected  as a very good rider in this country he certainly was.For me he is in the Jiri Stancl, Toni Kasper,Edward Jancarz, Zenon Plech, mould  of all were  all  unlucky in a certain way of not being able to show there true worth.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

Excellent rider very quiet but genuine. He would often drive into the night on his own with his trailer. RIP.

8 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Yes R/R during 1975 and the bizarre thing that he was then allocated to Wolves for the 1976 season and they operated the facility also!

Going back to Tommy things may have worked out differently for him had he ridden for King's Lynn in 1975 as was planned but the "Stars" management were gazumped by Thomas/Mawdsley and he ended up at Hull! He did indeed win the 1973 Swedish Final but that was after Michanek took Persson out in one race and Bernie either broke an arm or leg...can't remember which...an act that Anders regretted although they did eventually make up although Bernie's wife never forgave him!

I remember 1975 well with the R/R rule for Hasse which seemed dodgy.The ruling in 1974 to let Eric Boocock ride at reserve after breaking his arm at Newport  in 1973 seemed bizarre he had been there number 1 for years and to cap it all he won the British Final that year.Remember Eric riding in 74 for Halifax at number six  at the Abbey scoring a brilliant 14 points from five rides.In 1983 remember seeing Eric comeback after his eight year lay off  at Swindon hated watching it was not prepared not fit anough but you could still see there was a proper rider there.