3 minutes ago, Mr. Clemens said:

Just read on Facebook Bernie Persson has died 

Great Rider 

RIP

A Cradley legend.

RIP

Rest in Peace Bernie. 

He was Cradley Heath in the early 70s. 

He was my dad’s hero and I can still remember as a seven year old, the first meeting after he came second in the 1972 world final. Watching him being mobbed by the thousands of fans on the back straight as he made his way round to the pits. Unbelievable memories. 

Then the afternoon Bernie was staying at the Prince Albert Hotel in Wall Heath where I lived. My dad sent me up to see if I could see him and there were hundreds outside waiting for him to appear. 

He came outside to meet the fans and sign autographs. Back when the sport was really big ! 

• Like 3

Absolutely gutted by this news, my Cradley hero back in the 70s at Dudley Wood. R.I.P Bernie and thanks for the memories

• Like 2

R.I.P. Bernie

• Like 1

Sad news, he started his British career as a Edinburgh & Coatbridge Monarch ‘65 /‘67/‘68 remember going to Wembley to see him in World Finals for Monarchs in these years, very stylish and great favourite with the fans, Along with Reidar Eide transformed the Monarchs in that period.IMO

RIP. Bernie.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RIP Bernie - a tough, no compromising opponent, but a great rider.

There seems to be so little about this that I’m wondering if “Bernie Persson” and “Brian Parsons” might have got mixed up? 
Was it not Persson - and certainly not Parsons - that Barry Briggs blamed for the accident that cost Briggs a finger?