British Speedway Forum
iainb

Streaming

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

CANNOT possibly make it pay for that ... less than pint. Come on ...

How much does it cost to stream a meeting live?

19 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

CANNOT possibly make it pay for that ... less than pint. Come on ...

That's why charging a one off event fee will not work in my opinion. Boxing does PPV for one off title fights that the public will pay, although I never have, but I have watched them down the pub. But then they've also got a Box Nation subscription channel on Sky.

I'd perhaps pay for a season ticket but not one off events at over a tenner a pop

Edited by iainb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From the comments here I taske it Plymouth's streaming must have been loss-making at $4.99/c.£3.80. I bought a pass for this and the Edinburgh BYC staging at £5 and feel I got fair value for money. 

At that price point I DO  expect grass roots racing covered by one camera and that's what I got. The Plymouth presentation was delightfully semi-chaotic while sadly the Edinburgh production was bedevilled by connectivity problems. They did the decent thing by apologising to subscribers directly and offering partial refunds along with explanations  of the problems and how they would be resolved in future.

At that price point you couldn't really expect much more but I watched two entertaining meetings in this barren 'season'. 

I've bought a pass for tonight's Belle Vue event and am happy to pay £10 for a SportCentral production with greater resources and professional commentary, also taking into account the costlier standard of riders employed. I'd equally be happy to pay £12.95 for the British Final if I didn't have other commitments over the weekend.

Not all speedway meetings are run at the same level of ability and costs just as not all streaming or video is the same, so multiple price points are relevant. £12.95 for Plymouth or Edinburgh would have been too much. Equally £5 would be far too low for Belle Vue or Ipswich. 

What I would hate would that the Plymouth/Edinburgh-style events could not be repeated if the requirement was to do a multi-camera TV standard production at £12.95.

The level and cost of the streaming should be dependent on the nature of the meeting. If Plymouth and Edinburgh were to stream weekly in the £5-10 price band I'd be happy to subscribe weekly.

SportCentral's experience in streaming ice hockey surely gives them the best insight into what level of production or  price is right. I suspect the ice hockey and speedway markets are probably fairly similar.

Ultimately you get what you pay for. One standard of coverage at one price is NOT the way forward. There's room for British Finals at £12.95 and Plymouth NDL matches at £3.80. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

From the comments here I taske it Plymouth's streaming must have been loss-making at $4.99/c.£3.80. I bought a pass for this and the Edinburgh BYC staging at £5 and feel I got fair value for money. 

At that price point I DO  expect grass roots racing covered by one camera and that's what I got. The Plymouth presentation was delightfully semi-chaotic while sadly the Edinburgh production was bedevilled by connectivity problems. They did the decent thing by apologising to subscribers directly and offering partial refunds along with explanations  of the problems and how they would be resolved in future.

At that price point you couldn't really expect much more but I watched two entertaining meetings in this barren 'season'. 

I've bought a pass for tonight's Belle Vue event and am happy to pay £10 for a SportCentral production with greater resources and professional commentary, also taking into account the costlier standard of riders employed. I'd equally be happy to pay £12.95 for the British Final if I didn't have other commitments over the weekend.

Not all speedway meetings are run at the same level of ability and costs just as not all streaming or video is the same, so multiple price points are relevant. £12.95 for Plymouth or Edinburgh would have been too much. Equally £5 would be far too low for Belle Vue or Ipswich. 

What I would hate would that the Plymouth/Edinburgh-style events could not be repeated if the requirement was to do a multi-camera TV standard production at £12.95.

The level and cost of the streaming should be dependent on the nature of the meeting. If Plymouth and Edinburgh were to stream weekly in the £5-10 price band I'd be happy to subscribe weekly.

SportCentral's experience in streaming ice hockey surely gives them the best insight into what level of production or  price is right. I suspect the ice hockey and speedway markets are probably fairly similar.

Ultimately you get what you pay for. One standard of coverage at one price is NOT the way forward. There's room for British Finals at £12.95 and Plymouth NDL matches at £3.80. 

Spot on. Plymouth, of course, were paying NDL level rates to riders. They also sold every ticket to paying spectators that they could.  Add turnstile income to streaming and they could well have broken even. If Plymouth own the concessions for drinks etc, they could well have made a small profit on the 3TT. Hope they did

1 minute ago, Richard Weston said:

Spot on. Plymouth, of course, were paying NDL level rates to riders. They also sold every ticket to paying spectators that they could.  Add turnstile income to streaming and they could well have broken even. If Plymouth own the concessions for drinks etc, they could well have made a small profit on the 3TT. Hope they did

That illustrates how each offer needs to be assessed by each track individually. I do hope both Plymouth and Edinburgh made money from the streaming. Their enterprise deserved it. 

I don't get to many matches, but I'd definitely pay £12.99 for good coverage of several Swindon matches or maybe about a fiver for a single camera shot from the ref's box with no commentary if live.

An evening's fish and chips cost more - or grotty burgers for 3 at the stadium.

I think it's good value. Costs needs to be covered and it doesn't want to be so cheap as to discourage people actually going.

I probably go to about 3 or 4 matches a season and that would stay about the same, or possibly increase as my interest would be higher.

Edited by Grachan

The problem you have with online streaming is the 'perceived' value to most consumers.

So much online is free and unless you are a hardcore fan, the cost of streaming something you think should be free is hard to get around. 

I think the most likely option for speedway would be to aim for sponsorship to cover production costs. Keep production quality fairly basic, stream it for free and look to get fans to donate what they think its worth to them. Some comedy clubs have been doing this in the past few months and although its not a massive earner, it provides an income and gets people in in  the first place. 

This is my problem. I will not give British Speedway £13 for something that is untried, but which I perceive as probably being a bit rubbish. Give me it for free and I will certainly make a donation if its any good (which might be more than £13).

Long term, I don't think streaming is a viable business model, but it might be an additional revenue, erm, stream.  

4 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

If only........ If BVue are charging a tenner for their forthcoming meeting I think that will be it for “top flight” speedway in the UK, especially if a few thousand pay for it this time.

And if what is delivered for the price is "top flight" of course, if you pay £12.95 and get the Plymouth experience or interrupted connectivity then numbers will fall away very, very soon. Step up to the plate please and give VFM which is what has bedevilled live in the stadium domestic speeday over the last few years.

Remember that those "top flight" clubs still sell grotty food at far above VFM prices, so the attitude on streaming needs to be set at a pretty good level to sustain the interest of paying customers ( in good enough numbers ).

Edited by waytogo28
additional point made

2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

And if what is delivered for the price is "top flight" of course, if you pay £12.95 and get the Plymouth experience or interrupted connectivity then numbers will fall away very, very soon. Step up to the plate please and give VFM which is what has bedevilled live in the stadium domestic speeday over the last few years.

Remember that those "top flight" clubs still sell grotty food at far above VFM prices, so the attitude on streaming needs to be set at a pretty good level to sustain the interest of paying customers ( in good enough numbers ).

If not for outside technical faults in Scotland both Plymouth and Edinburgh productions were perfectly acceptable for the prices charged so I don't  want anyone thinking they were of an unacceptable standard. 

6 hours ago, MattK said:

How much does it cost to stream a meeting live?

CANNOT accurately answer that but obviously for production such as that being mounted at Ipswich must be a few thousand. 

21 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

CANNOT accurately answer that but obviously for production such as that being mounted at Ipswich must be a few thousand. 

Let's say £5k for arguments sake.

Do you think it would be easier to persuade 500 people to pay £10 each to stream the meeting or 1,250 at £4 to stream the meeting? I'd say 1,250 at £4 is a far easier sell than 500 @ £10.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well on Twitter it seems Robert Lambert would want it for free :D