British Speedway Forum
iainb

Streaming

27 minutes ago, Booey boy said:

I could not find it online.Also the product they put out has got to be worth paying for look at the so called Bfitish final very poor line up not worth paying to watch

People have to buy a TV licence and lots of stuff the BBC put out doesn't interest everyone at least paying to watch a live stream you can choose if you want.  I'll be watching on Saturday regardless of line up, one a race starts anything can happen at least you get a result unlike a football match where you watch for 90 minutes and it's still 0 - 0 when it finishes.

13 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

People have to buy a TV licence and lots of stuff the BBC put out doesn't interest everyone at least paying to watch a live stream you can choose if you want.  I'll be watching on Saturday regardless of line up, one a race starts anything can happen at least you get a result unlike a football match where you watch for 90 minutes and it's still 0 - 0 when it finishes.

I've been watching all the polish and Swedish speedway 

41 minutes ago, Shockster said:

It's up to the individual to decide if they think it's value or not.  My point was that if you don't have a license, then using a VPN makes you invisible and as such can't be detected. :t:

I have a vpn checkedmost of the sports steaming sites but ould not find it

8 minutes ago, Booey boy said:

I have a vpn checkedmost of the sports steaming sites but ould not find it

That's because it was Pay per view.

On 9/25/2020 at 9:54 AM, iainb said:

One wonders if British Speedway actually knows who their demographic is, I know it likes to think of itself as a "family sport" but from what I see on the terraces it seems to be an old persons sport even though the competitors probably see it as an extreme sport, so who do you aim your stream and pricing at? I don't agree that "the stream needs to be aimed at those who dont attend Speedway regularly but know it exists and maybe used to follow it" or the neutral... I consider myself a fan of F1 but have never been to a race, having said that I do subscribe to the F1 channel, I also quite like to watch the odd Football match but would never pay to attend one or watch one on PPV TV... it's really quite complex when you start to think about it.

Maybe they could/should be looking to team up with their "broadcast partner" to see how this can be made financially viable, maybe using the Eurosport Player

I think you've summed this up pretty well actually.

I've said for a long time British Speedway is marketed poorly and has for a long time used the 'family sport' banner, which I think is completely wrong. Speedway is just about the most extreme sport you can get, no brakes, 70mph and flat out on a dirt track with 4 riders spraying dirt everywhere. None of this nice family night out. As an extreme sport, Speedway could sell with the correct marketing drive behind it.

• Like 1

Last night seemed to be a success. The obvious questions now are:

How many people subscribed? and

Where do we go from here?

17 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Last night seemed to be a success. The obvious questions now are:

How many people subscribed? and

Where do we go from here?

When I tuned in and saw the rain I thought here we go, we're in for a night of high farce and what is the stream rain off policy? In the end it turned out to be quite an entertaining meeting.

I do hope the price point for the behind closed doors meetings is not going to reflect the pricing policy for when crowds are eventually allowed back. And you have to wonder why they've gone down the SportCentralTV route when their "broadcast partner" already have a streaming setup available on the market. Maybe it's because the Eurosport deal has been put on hold, I'm not sure as this seems to be a bit of a grey area. But Chris Louis did mention last night that Eurosport have many ideas for British Speedway, we'll see in the fullness of time no doubt. Eurosport charge around £5 a month for Eurosport player... which I'd happily pay to watch some British Speedway, in fact I'd happily pay £5 a week

Edited by iainb

I hope not too many subscribed for last night. £12.95 is too much, if a lot subscribed then £12.95 could be a norm. I would go fo £7-£8 for top league racing

My local football team (Stockport County), are charging £7.50 per game and free to season tickets purchasers..

I wouldn't think that £7.50 is too far away from what Speedway clubs could charge I would think given County are fifth tier, non league..

It's a one camera operation with the usual local radio commentary..

I watched last night and the quality of the stream was generally not bad. My only grip is that it was hard to make out some of the commentary over the sound of the bikes at times. 

I watched last night but I wouldn’t make a regular habit of paying almost £13 to stream a meeting. When the viewership figures come in I hope the fact that it was the British final and the fact that we’re in unprecedented times come into play. I certainly wouldn’t have paid £12.50 to watch the challenge meeting from Belle Vue last week, perhaps a fiver would have piqued much interest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

When I tuned in and saw the rain I thought here we go, we're in for a night of high farce and what is the stream rain off policy? In the end it turned out to be quite an entertaining meeting.

I do hope the price point for the behind closed doors meetings is not going to reflect the pricing policy for when crowds are eventually allowed back. And you have to wonder why they've gone down the SportCentralTV route when their "broadcast partner" already have a streaming setup available on the market. Maybe it's because the Eurosport deal has been put on hold, I'm not sure as this seems to be a bit of a grey area. But Chris Louis did mention last night that Eurosport have many ideas for British Speedway, we'll see in the fullness of time no doubt. Eurosport charge around £5 a month for Eurosport player... which I'd happily pay to watch some British Speedway, in fact I'd happily pay £5 a week

I'm sure I've read somewhere (Speedway Star?) that the 5-year Eurosport deal has been deferred to start in 2021, with the full agreement and support of the Eurosport Management.

• Thanks 1

The British Final was my first experience of streaming and I was impressed with the professionalism of the whole production.

Unfortunately I couldn't watch it live but did it on catch up first thing this morning after work. I used my basic smart phone & Chromecast to my TV and all was good except the occasional pixelation on some shots but fortunately not during the racing. The only thing I struggled with to start with was not being able to accurately move it on to the start of the racing i.e. skip the build up accurately from the window on the sport central site but I later found I could do this better from the Google home app.

Personally I have no issue with the price. I've paid more for 2 pints of beer in London! I hope it was a success for the production company and if that's the price it takes to make it happen I'll happily pay it for future events. 

If it wasn't for the Covid restrictions I'd be paying around £30 admission for football plus another £40 or so in the pub before & after plus travel costs to away games. I rarely get to see live speedway since Weymouth's demise because I work nights Monday to Thursday and can only do weekend tracks so to stream speedway and Football for a little over £20 isn't breaking the bank for me but I understand everyone's circumstances are different so I'm not criticising anyone. 

Think we need some perspective here. Some are saying £12 is to much for streaming, even if it's a Premiership meeting. 

The thing is, clubs would still have to cover the same costs. With standard entrance at £18 how many would actually stay away from stadiums to save £6?? I'd say A LOT. Once you factor in fuel, programme & food, the opportunity to watch your team on the sofa, £12 is cheap.

Meetings online when the fans are allowed to return will not be financially viable unless the cost of a stream matches the admission costs imo.