British Speedway Forum
iainb

Streaming

42 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Think we need some perspective here. Some are saying £12 is to much for streaming, even if it's a Premiership meeting. 

The thing is, clubs would still have to cover the same costs. With standard entrance at £18 how many would actually stay away from stadiums to save £6?? I'd say A LOT. Once you factor in fuel, programme & food, the opportunity to watch your team on the sofa, £12 is cheap.

Meetings online when the fans are allowed to return will not be financially viable unless the cost of a stream matches the admission costs imo. 

Not sure..

I would be nterested in the 'odd' streamed meeting at £7/£8 but probably wouldnt attend any matches 'live' all season as not really interested in following the sport under it's current operational model of "not being a proper team sport"..

So I would watch it like I currently watch Sweden and Poland, ie "just watch the racing" for what it is..

And that could be any teams not just Premiership teams

In fact, charge me £20 a month for a full streamed season ticket's racing, and the sport could get circa £120 or so out of me that they currently wouldn't get one penny of..

I would suggest there are many, many more thousands who still follow the sport actively via satellite broadcasts, on here, and via Speedway Star, than actually attend domestic Speedway regularly, with many from defunct tracks and many who basically "gave up" on British Speedway.

Ardent followers of the sport but who basically dont put anything at all into the coffers of the sport over here..

So a potential huge market for a streaming service to aim for I would think.. 

And who knows, maybe it could rekindle interest enough to persuade some to go back and visit the stadiums again?

Edited by mikebv

38 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Think we need some perspective here. Some are saying £12 is to much for streaming, even if it's a Premiership meeting. 

The thing is, clubs would still have to cover the same costs. With standard entrance at £18 how many would actually stay away from stadiums to save £6?? I'd say A LOT. Once you factor in fuel, programme & food, the opportunity to watch your team on the sofa, £12 is cheap.

Meetings online when the fans are allowed to return will not be financially viable unless the cost of a stream matches the admission costs imo. 

Don’t agree with you on numbers. Some may stay home to save a few quid, but I think many many more will stream. Tjat could be past supporters who may have moved away from the area, supporters like me that find travel (30 mile each way) is too much but would stream, there would be away supporters who cannot afford a day off work to travel Poole to BVue for example but would stream, and of course keen supporters who would stream watch a good match between two teams, neither that he supports. So at the right price, streamers could outnumber those in actual attendance. £8 max.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great to hear in the BSPL Chairman's statement that the income from streaming more than covered the costs of the British Final meeting!!  Not all bad then.....!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

It’s all well and good adding perspective but you have to add both sides to that perspective. 

Watching a meeting on the TV when you’ve been starved of Speedway is one thing. When it comes to £12 a week it’s a different kettle of fish, especially if you’re already paying for Sky/BT Sport (or whatever other sports/entertainment TV packages you may have). Especially if there is a televised meeting each week on Eurosport that you’re already paying for. Even if that £12 becomes even better value for money should you be watching at home with your family and thus splitting that cost further. 

Streaming isn’t the future of British Speedway. It is doing a job for now. If anything if we begin to lean on streaming live meetings it will damage the sport further. As is the case with football in the lower leagues, it is the next best thing to actually being in the ground but a lot of fans would rather keep their money in their pocket. There is no comparison to being at the event live, even if it costs a little extra. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't pay for streaming and miss home meetings just to save money even if it was half price although I'd pay for streaming when Wolves were away. Maybe pay streaming for one away but actually go to the other away meeting

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bruno said:

I wouldn't pay for streaming and miss home meetings just to save money even if it was half price although I'd pay for streaming when Wolves were away. Maybe pay streaming for one away but actually go to the other away meeting

That's the way people SHOULD be using it...

• Like 2

How about building the streaming into season tickets making those better value for money??

When your club is away from home the stream is free. 

Have independent season tickets available for around 60 meetings for £100.

I just feel that having single meetings available it will have a massive detrimental effect on British Speedway, making things far harder than they are now. 

The biggest thing to think about is our weather, people will most certainly then just sit at home & wait a few minutes to tapes up then purchase. 

Unfortunately we may think there may be a right way to use things but this pandemic has proven that 9/10 times there's a huge "all about me" selfishness going on. 

17 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

How about building the streaming into season tickets making those better value for money??

When your club is away from home the stream is free. 

Have independent season tickets available for around 60 meetings for £100.

I just feel that having single meetings available it will have a massive detrimental effect on British Speedway, making things far harder than they are now. 

The biggest thing to think about is our weather, people will most certainly then just sit at home & wait a few minutes to tapes up then purchase. 

Unfortunately we may think there may be a right way to use things but this pandemic has proven that 9/10 times there's a huge "all about me" selfishness going on. 

Sadly, that's always been the case (particularly with speedway fans), but the pandemic has really brought it out into the open.

I see no reason why they couldn't do some kind of deal; maybe even for a club's away fixtures? That way, the club could at least be making money from away fixtures where they wouldn't normally...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Don’t agree with you on numbers. Some may stay home to save a few quid, but I think many many more will stream. Tjat could be past supporters who may have moved away from the area, supporters like me that find travel (30 mile each way) is too much but would stream, there would be away supporters who cannot afford a day off work to travel Poole to BVue for example but would stream, and of course keen supporters who would stream watch a good match between two teams, neither that he supports. So at the right price, streamers could outnumber those in actual attendance. £8 max.

For me, the streaming should be the icing on the cake, an attempt to "mop up" those punters that aren't going to watch an event live (in normal times). You'd have to price/market the stream so as not to effect the live attendance.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, iainb said:

For me, the streaming should be the icing on the cake, an attempt to "mop up" those punters that aren't going to watch an event live (in normal times). You'd have to price/market the stream so as not to effect the live attendance.

I think you are absolutely right Iain.

Streaming - either at Track level or via Eurosport platform, will work best for Big One off Events.

I can't see how an individual Club can make it really viable for League matches as an example with technology required and threat people will stay away and watch from their settee.

15 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

of course keen supporters who would stream watch a good match between two teams, neither that he supports. So at the right price, streamers could outnumber those in actual attendance. £8 max.

I am one of those and agree about the price structure certainly no more than £10, but I would pay that to watch many more meetings than I bothered to attend in the last three previous full seasons. I would rather utilise the time at home that is consumed pointlessly, for me, in the stadium. And my food and drink is of a vastly superior quality if I require it! Stream on! Why should speedway not gain many more new and returning fans via this method, there is ceertainly very little "crowd atmoshphere" in the only stadium that I can easily attend, so I would not be missing out on that!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HGould said:

Streaming - either at Track level or via Eurosport platform, will work best for Big One off Events.

I can't see how an individual Club can make it really viable for League matches as an example with technology required and threat people will stay away and watch from their settee.

You'd hope they've learnt their lesson from the TV contracts, the value of the Sky contracts balanced off playing in front of empty stadiums and by the time a lot of clubs cottoned on that the value of the TV contracts were going down along with the paying punter it was too late, Sky were gone and so were the paying punters. You could sit at home on a cold wet night and watch your team... and then watch any other world class sport for a month or lump out £15-£18 to watch a load of rubbish

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, HGould said:

There are ways round that though, for example the Edinburgh stream that was due to launch this year had a geographical block on it so it was only available if you were a certain distance away from the stadium so as not to discourage the normally attending fans.

I don’t think streaming is going to revolutionize the sport but where it can help is in the shortcomings of fans through the gate. Away fans apart from the odd local derby are all but non existent now and that is a market that can be tapped. Using say Somerset as an example, realistically for a normal league match they would probably have 10 fans or so in attendance at Armadale. Now if the match is available for them to stream at say £10 you may lose the 10 fans that would attend but if that is made up by 50/60 somerset fans buying the stream plus another 10/20 neutrals that might just fancy it then you have increased income probably by about £500 multiply that by 20-25 home matches and it could be another £10k+ plus in the club coffers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

would all the riders in this years British Championship be all on the same pay rate? I assuming it would £x per point and per start, plus travel. Anyone know?

Has it actually stated anywhere that when streaming is introduced for a season's racing that the price per meeting will be £12.95?  Or is that people just jumping to conclusions?

As for the streaming company, are they set up to cover every track's away meetings or will clubs be making their own arrangements?