British Speedway Forum
iainb

Streaming

16 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

would all the riders in this years British Championship be all on the same pay rate? I assuming it would £x per point and per start, plus travel. Anyone know?

They don’t pay points money or travel  in BSPA meetings, it’s a set price for finishing positions.

19 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Think we need some perspective here. Some are saying £12 is to much for streaming, even if it's a Premiership meeting. 

Trouble is, I don't see any price point that works for streaming.  I'd say £12 is way too cheap to make streaming viable.

If we go to Wolverhampton, it's £18 each and £7 each for the kids, so a total of £50 (plus programme, travel etc).   If the weather was a bit dodgy in the morning, it would be a no brainer to buy the £12 stream rather than risk wasting a lot of money. 

So the club would lose £38....   It wouldn't take many families to make the same decision to bankrupt the club.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Trouble is, I don't see any price point that works for streaming.  I'd say £12 is way too cheap to make streaming viable.

If we go to Wolverhampton, it's £18 each and £7 each for the kids, so a total of £50 (plus programme, travel etc).   If the weather was a bit dodgy in the morning, it would be a no brainer to buy the £12 stream rather than risk wasting a lot of money. 

So the club would lose £38....   It wouldn't take many families to make the same decision to bankrupt the club.  

Here's a novel idea, more info and details etc on the Berwick Website.  I'll be watching it and donating, wonder how many others will?

the event is now scheduled for Wednesday the 21st of October at 7pm.

* Pay what you like pay per view:
Watch the British Under 21 Final from the comfort of your living room on your SmartTV or your household devices. Before, during or after the event head on over to www.berwickspeedway.com and pay what you feel the event is worth
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

Here's a novel idea, more info and details etc on the Berwick Website.  I'll be watching it and donating, wonder how many others will?

Watch the British Under 21 Final from the comfort of your living room on your SmartTV or your household devices. Before, during or after the event head on over to www.berwickspeedway.com and pay what you feel the event is worth

I know of another event that was streamed away from Speedway that did this same thing. I believe this is to avoid certain license fees which are incurred if the event is PPV as oppose to donations.

49 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Has it actually stated anywhere that when streaming is introduced for a season's racing that the price per meeting will be £12.95?  Or is that people just jumping to conclusions?

As for the streaming company, are they set up to cover every track's away meetings or will clubs be making their own arrangements?

In an ideal world, every club within the top tiers would be on board with this and the BSPA effectivelly create a "Network" which people sign up to on a monthly basis. Every match is shown live on the Network and income is dished out to the clubs involved. You could end up attracting large amounts of neutrals and general armchair fans to this who have been lost to the sport. This is in my opinion ambitious yes, but could be the answer to keeping British Speedway afloat.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

Depending on the price of the stream, using your £12 example, if 5 neutrals who wouldn't of ever been going to the meeting anyway decide to watch then the club is making even more money

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

Depending on the price of the stream, using your £12 example, if 5 neutrals who wouldn't of ever been going to the meeting anyway decide to watch then the club is making even more money

That was the point I made earlier when I suggested deals for away fixtures; 90% of fans wouldn't even consider making a 400 mile round trip to follow their team, but a good few of them would be happy to pay for a live stream.

• Like 3

For some time now BSF members have been saying British speedway is in the doldrums, dying on its feet, and what’s needed is some different thinking, something creative.  The thinking a family of four staying at home, spend £12 instead of £50, thus the track loses £38 plus drinks, food etc, is stifling the creative thinking.  When this pandemic is managed and we can have a bit of normality, many workers will have lost their jobs (how many millions we don’t know), their won’t be many families who can afford £50 plus, and I just wonder what percentage of fans currently are mum, dad plus 2 kids anyway. 
Creative thinking, here is a good example I just seen on a shopping channel on TV. ...... they selling a pair of ladies thigh length boots (I don’t normally watch ladies fashion, honest, but I just woke up from mid afternoon nap) and this was the offer. You order your size and they send two pairs, one the size you order, other pair half size bigger, whichever fits you keep and send the other pair back post free. Immediately I said to the wife “what a brilliant idea”, she looks at me with a blank look on her face. Creative thinking....... they almost certain of a sale by sending two pairs, different sizes. If they sent the size ordered, say ladies size 5, and it was a bit tight, it would be sent back and unlikely a size bigger ordered (lots of purchases are impulse buys). Result.... no sale.     So, two pairs sent, different sizes, one pair is likely to be fit and kept by customer..... kerching - money in the till that might not have been there.  Brilliant idea.  The model doesn’t fit speedway sales, but it’s the creative thinking needed to INCREASE sales that is needed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

For some time now BSF members have been saying British speedway is in the doldrums, dying on its feet, and what’s needed is some different thinking, something creative.

The model doesn’t fit speedway sales, but it’s the creative thinking needed to INCREASE sales that is needed.

Sadly, the BSF members you are talking about don't care. "This is the way we've always done it, and I'll be buggered if I'm going to change..."

Honestly, I don't know what these people want.

They reckon they are "speedway fans", yet they complain about everything.

They wonder why crowds are so poor, yet they are quite happy to state that they wouldn't go, even if it was free.

They say that modern speedway is crap. How would they know when they refuse to even watch it on TV?

Every major professional sport welcomes TV, but no, speedway doesn't need it...

There are a lot of older fans who still follow the sport, but they are criticised by the younger brigade who tell us we are "keeping new fans away".

Live streaming is a valuable tool, but no, that's another thing that we don't need, as it will kill tracks.

It's like they really want to keep speedway to themselves, even though they aren't interested enough to go themselves. Weird...

• Like 1

Depends on what happens going forward re the pandemic but if the crowds are restricted then streaming may turn out to be the saviour of speedway. Clubs could offer local supporters within a certain distance of the club a lower rate and those beyond pay a slightly higher rate (use post codes). If it means clubs can run behind closed doors, why not give it a go. I have watched streamed meetings both U.K. and from Poland and for example last nights meeting between Russia and Poland was not bad at all and given the smart t v etc, you can watch just like normal television. I know it is not the same as watching live but things are not normal and unlikely to be in the short to medium term so I really do not see why anyone could be against streaming a meeting and paying to keep the sport going. I doubt that 2021 is going to see much change so new ways of watching the sport need to be adopted if it is to survive. Season ticket holders could be offered free streaming until live sport is possible. Nothing ventured nothing gained is my view.

26 minutes ago, chunky said:

Live streaming is a valuable tool, but no, that's another thing that we don't need, as it will kill tracks.

to be fair though is streaming of league matches even at Premiership level viable? you might increase income from away supporters who wouldn't have travelled but how many neutral supporters would pay to watch a match that doesn't involve their team? then you have those locals who used to attend as a family but now just buy one streaming pass instead.

regardless, would the income received even cover the cost of providing the coverage? for a league match? you need to scale it up to make it viable.

i can see how it could work for shared events, pairs, 4TT, rider championship with all teams represented. potential there are a lot of supporters who wouldn't normally travel who just might pay for those streams.

how about doing a magic weekend event a la rugby league where all the teams participate at the same venue? or have a knock out cup weekend (quarter finals on the Saturday, semi's and the Final on the Sunday all at the same venue) charge £50 to stream 7 matches over the weekend?

1 hour ago, Hawk127 said:

Depends on what happens going forward re the pandemic but if the crowds are restricted then streaming may turn out to be the saviour of speedway. Clubs could offer local supporters within a certain distance of the club a lower rate and those beyond pay a slightly higher rate (use post codes). If it means clubs can run behind closed doors, why not give it a go. I have watched streamed meetings both U.K. and from Poland and for example last nights meeting between Russia and Poland was not bad at all and given the smart t v etc, you can watch just like normal television. I know it is not the same as watching live but things are not normal and unlikely to be in the short to medium term so I really do not see why anyone could be against streaming a meeting and paying to keep the sport going. I doubt that 2021 is going to see much change so new ways of watching the sport need to be adopted if it is to survive. Season ticket holders could be offered free streaming until live sport is possible. Nothing ventured nothing gained is my view.

Why would you charge different rates depending on how far away they live, the further away pay more too?  Seems crackpot idea to me.

1 hour ago, enotian said:

to be fair though is streaming of league matches even at Premiership level viable? you might increase income from away supporters who wouldn't have travelled but how many neutral supporters would pay to watch a match that doesn't involve their team? then you have those locals who used to attend as a family but now just buy one streaming pass instead.

regardless, would the income received even cover the cost of providing the coverage? for a league match? you need to scale it up to make it viable.

i can see how it could work for shared events, pairs, 4TT, rider championship with all teams represented. potential there are a lot of supporters who wouldn't normally travel who just might pay for those streams.

how about doing a magic weekend event a la rugby league where all the teams participate at the same venue? or have a knock out cup weekend (quarter finals on the Saturday, semi's and the Final on the Sunday all at the same venue) charge £50 to stream 7 matches over the weekend?

You make two points in one sentence, so I break it up.

Why would you increase income (presumably you mean charge more) for away supporters. You trying to attract them I would have thought.

how many neutral supporters would pay to watch a match that doesn't involve their team?      
You obviously expecting few, so any that do watch is a bonus income.  If two teams I didn’t support were playing and I thought it was going to be a cracker of a match, yes I would pay and watch.  

Although I have an affection for BVue (I started going over 60 years agog), it’s Speedway I love, so good racing comes above loyalty to a team - that’s why I love speedway GP racing, it’s so exciting.

7 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

I tied up every Wednesday evening, so I emailed Berwick speedway to ask if it would be available on You Tube after the event. A reply came within 30 minutes, a decision has not yet been made, but it has been done before. If it is available then I will be watching, and paying. And because they said it is available whether you pay or not I will contribute more then I would expect to pay. I hope it’s a success for Berwick speedway, the management their seems as if they are triers.

52 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

how many neutral supporters would pay to watch a match that doesn't involve their team?      
You obviously expecting few, so any that do watch is a bonus income.  If two teams I didn’t support were playing and I thought it was going to be a cracker of a match, yes I would pay and watch.  

Well, I used to pay money to travel all over the country to watch matches as a neutral, and there were plenty of us that used to do the same. So, why wouldn't people pay money to watch online?

Obviously, there are those who wouldn't, but people like you and I would.

• Like 2