British Speedway Forum
iainb

Streaming

As there's a few comments on a few different threads, I thought I'd set a new topic up as streaming seems to be the future.

I will be purchasing my first stream for Saturday's British Final... assuming a host of riders don't drop out at the last minute! But it will be a one off, as BSPL have been done up like a kipper by the government on this. It'll be a one off for me because of the pricing, what should the pricing model be? BSPL seem to be wanting to recoup all of their outlay in the first season instead of spreading the cost over the next 10 years... as it's clearly the future.

It's tricky to price, as charge too much and people won't pay it and charge too cheaply and people will just watch it from home. Maybe it needs some out of the box thinking and selling it as a part of a season ticket package, attend home matches and get discounted streaming passes.

Does anybody know how other sports price their streaming offerings?

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

As there's a few comments on a few different threads, I thought I'd set a new topic up as streaming seems to be the future.

I will be purchasing my first stream for Saturday's British Final... assuming a host of riders don't drop out at the last minute! But it will be a one off, as BSPL have been done up like a kipper by the government on this. It'll be a one off for me because of the pricing, what should the pricing model be? BSPL seem to be wanting to recoup all of their outlay in the first season instead of spreading the cost over the next 10 years... as it's clearly the future.

It's tricky to price, as charge too much and people won't pay it and charge too cheaply and people will just watch it from home. Maybe it needs some out of the box thinking and selling it as a part of a season ticket package, attend home matches and get discounted streaming passes.

THE key is also to ensure that the production is first class, as it will be for the British Final. That has to be factored into the asking price. Too often historically British speedway has endeavoured to do things on the cheap. A one-man band with a single camera won't work. Quality pictures, decent commentary, etc but this will cost. Personally, think £10 should be a minimum.

• Like 1

A tenner for the British Final is probably around the right price, not so sure for a league match though, it'll be interesting to see what the "behind the scenes" coverage is like, it'll need some buy in from the riders, interviews during the meeting etc. they need to be offering something on the stream that you can't get at the live meeting. Also they'll need to come up with some refund policy if the meeting is abandoned etc.

It's a difficult one. I'd like to support but they are charging top dollar prices for it, so I probably won't. Especially as sport on TV is just coming out of our ears just now.

Personally I don't have a problem with that price for a top dollar product, but this is British speedway and my expectation is amateur hour.

I know the costs have to be covered, but an 'introductory' offer of a fiver would have been a great way to prove the technology and showcase what they could do. That would get me in and give them a chance to prove they have a product worth more than a tenner for future years.

49 minutes ago, iainb said:

EFL football £10 per game - season pass available. Think people have to get their heads around the fact that if they want to watch a streamed meeting then they have to pay a price which covers the production costs and makes a profit ... and that is not a fiver!! Newspapers are a prime example of how everyone wants access to the product but are not prepared to pay for it.

If the British Final and the Belle Vue streaming makes sense financially then it might encourage more in the future. I have no doubt that people want to buy streaming -I've still to be convinced that they are willing to pay a viable subscription fee. 

2 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

EFL football £10 per game - season pass available. Think people have to get their heads around the fact that if they want to watch a streamed meeting then they have to pay a price which covers the production costs and makes a profit ... and that is not a fiver!!

Any advertising during the streams?

I might consider it at £3-4 but definitely not a tenner. I wonder how much market research they did to come up with this price point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, MattK said:

I might consider it at £3-4 but definitely not a tenner. I wonder how much market research they did to come up with this price point.

As with anything I suppose there will be that price elasticity and ultimately the sweet spot..

The huge opportunity they have though will be to get some money from all fans with access to streaming if they get it right..

Many Speedway fans simply follow the sport without having a real passion for any team so a big market to try and attract..

Pay by night, pay by week, pay by month, pay by season, pay per team..?

Many packages could be offered..

The price point and quality of production though will ultimately determine the level of uptake..

Maybe a tenner a week for the whole package would be there or there abouts?

Meaning you could dip in and dip out whenever a match takes your interest?

I've paid for BV tonight and British Final on Saturday at a tenner and just under 13 quid.

I expect near TV quality and multi camera and proper commentary for that price .

I paid about £4 for a stream from Plymouth the other week, 2 cameras, perfectly watchable with commentary and interviews, a bit raw in places but worth every penny.

It was as good as if not better than any DVD I have bought from various tracks in recent seasons. 

I think the long term lies somewhere in between the two to be affordable and viable.

Possibly £5-6.

I think this has to be done at Club level though as if BSPL and their usual media took it on any profit would go away from the Clubs, so what's the point of the clubs doing it. 

21 minutes ago, HGould said:

I've paid for BV tonight and British Final on Saturday at a tenner and just under 13 quid.

I think the long term lies somewhere in between to be affordable and viable.

Possibly £5-6.

If only........ If BVue are charging a tenner for their forthcoming meeting I think that will be it for “top flight” speedway in the UK, especially if a few thousand pay for it this time.

2 hours ago, MattK said:

i doubt £3-£4 would even cover the cost of collecting your payment, employing the production personnel and arranging the connection to your laptop. What's the point of losing money on it? 

how much would it of cost to "pay on the gate" so why not charge that price, most people would still be making a decent saving by paying that price for streaming the event...say a family of 3 would of gone, that saves roughly £60-£100 for that one family.

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Any advertising during the streams?

don't know - can't afford to buy it. 

2 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

i doubt £3-£4 would even cover the cost of collecting your payment, employing the production personnel and arranging the connection to your laptop. What's the point of losing money on it? 

This is why you conduct market research. I'd pay £3-4. Personally, I don't think that watching speedway online is worth any more than that. Others may differ.

If the costs exceed the price times the number of sales, then it isn't a viable product.

2 hours ago, MattK said:

CANNOT possibly make it pay for that ... less than pint. Come on ...

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1