British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Briggs, Fundin, Mauger , Crump, Rickardsson, Roll of honour.

Barry Briggs won the title 4 times was on the rostrum 6 times.            -            Ove Fundin won the title 5 times was on the rostrum 6 times.                    - Ivan Mauger won the title six times  was on the rostrum 4 times.         - Jason Crump won the title 3 times was placed  7 times on the rostrum.            - Rickardsson  won the title six times  was placed  5 times on the rostrum  all great riders terrific records.Crump to finish in the top three riders in the world ten years on the bounce is some achievement.

• Like 2

Interesting set of figures those Sid. They really were great Riders, weren't they?

Good Post. :t:

• Thanks 1

What about Hans? Four wins, six seconds and two thirds by my reckoning?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Barry Briggs won the title 4 times was on the rostrum 6 times.            -            Ove Fundin won the title 5 times was on the rostrum 6 times.                    - Ivan Mauger won the title six times  was on the rostrum 4 times.         - Jason Crump won the title 3 times was placed  7 times on the rostrum.            - Rickardsson  won the title six times  was placed  5 times on the rostrum  all great riders terrific records.Crump to finish in the top three riders in the world ten years on the bounce is some achievement.

Think Fundin did 10 years on the bounce too!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andout said:

Yes he did...

8 hours ago, steve roberts said:

What about Hans? Four wins, six seconds and two thirds by my reckoning?

Spot on in the top five all time greats Steve.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, andout said:

Yes  and Ove was winner or placed 11 times out of 12 seasons truelly remarkable. Was it easier for Crump to do it (i.e.) Qualifying every year wildcards (etc) don't know hypothetical really Fundin is a true icon of our sport.

Fundin on the podium for 10 years on the trot , missed 1966  was banned  back in 1967 to win it a bloody remarkable run of consistency 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I had to pick one, Ove would just pip Ivan. Hans and Briggo right up there as best I've seen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, auntie doris said:

If I had to pick one, Ove would just pip Ivan. Hans and Briggo right up there as best I've seen.

I would certainly agree with your choices except I would place Ivan at number one. Only saw Ove ride at one of Briggo's "Golden Greats" meetings but his record speaks for itself.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Only saw Ove once Doris against Wembley 1970 Briggo destroyed him twice  Ove did have his measure though generally.Ove was such a tough rider fair but totally committed a true gentleman off the track.Mauger, Ove, Barry, Hans, certainly would be in my all time top ten riders.

• Like 1

Of riders I've seen, definitely Ove for me. Even during the time of "The Big Five", which of course included Briggo, Ove was definitely the guv'nor.

I would agree that Mauger and  Nielsen come a shade behind Ove, and also Tony Rickardsson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, norbold said:

Of riders I've seen, definitely Ove for me. Even during the time of "The Big Five", which of course included Briggo, Ove was definitely the guv'nor.

I would agree that Mauger and  Nielsen come a shade behind Ove, and also Tony Rickardsson.

Your opinion is very much valued Norbold, and you are on the money.Rickardsson was a rider i never really took to but his achievements says it all.My biggest regret was never seeing Craven and Knutsson ride the big five Ove, Barry, Peter, Bjorn, Mirac were something else.My uncle who first took me to speedway said that Knutsson had untapped quality silky smooth a rider who was a threat to everybody.Another rider he always harped on about was Gote Nordin he always maintained he was a class act.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Your opinion is very much valued Norbold, and you are on the money.Rickardsson was a rider i never really took to but his achievements says it all.My biggest regret was never seeing Craven and Knutsson ride the big five Ove, Barry, Peter, Bjorn, Mirac were something else.My uncle who first took me to speedway said that Knutsson had untapped quality silky smooth a rider who was a threat to everybody.Another rider he always harped on about was Gote Nordin he always maintained he was a class act.

Gote Norden was a class speedway rider. Silky smooth with a nice style. Pity he never reached the very top, he would have been a popular world champ and a class ambassador for the sport.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 1