British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Briggs, Fundin, Mauger , Crump, Rickardsson, Roll of honour.

8 hours ago, MattB said:

Absolutely.  I remember that final GP in 2000 vividly, and Rickardsson was absolutely superb.  He was never headed before the final and I've no doubt he'd have won that final if he'd needed to - he was simply deflated after Loram had sealed the total.  It was a terrific achievement from Loram to win a title during a period when Rickardsson was at his absolute peak.

Forget the final GP; Rickardsson lost the World Championship much earlier in the season. Actually, he was robbed by one of the worst refereeing decisions in World Championship history.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chunky said:

Forget the final GP; Rickardsson lost the World Championship much earlier in the season. Actually, he was robbed by one of the worst refereeing decisions in World Championship history.

Yea was an awful decision in Sweden.  Rickardsson wasn't quite at his best that year, though its to his credit he got as close as he did.

He really raised the bar in terms of how riders presented themselves.  I can remember him turning up at Monmore Green in his enormous motor home (much to Chris Van Straaten's disapproval apparently!) when he was riding for Poole.  Such a shame that he was tempted to race on in 2006 when his heart probably wasn't in it.

31 minutes ago, MattB said:

Yea was an awful decision in Sweden.  Rickardsson wasn't quite at his best that year, though its to his credit he got as close as he did.

He really raised the bar in terms of how riders presented themselves.  I can remember him turning up at Monmore Green in his enormous motor home (much to Chris Van Straaten's disapproval apparently!) when he was riding for Poole.  Such a shame that he was tempted to race on in 2006 when his heart probably wasn't in it.

Yes he didn't do himself any favours by turning out for Oxford.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Yes he didn't do himself any favours by turning out for Oxford.

I'm sure that there is a story there which I don't know, but I find it hard to believe that any problem was entirely on his side...He was far too good and professional for it all to be on his side.

On 11/24/2020 at 11:15 PM, HenryW said:

I'm sure that there is a story there which I don't know, but I find it hard to believe that any problem was entirely on his side...He was far too good and professional for it all to be on his side.

He was signed on a six week contract but it was decided to release him after only four weeks and was replaced by Todd Wiltshire. Apparently sources 'suggest' that he wasn't wholly commited to the Oxford cause during his short time spent there? Personally I never really rated him as a 'team player' in the same way as Mauger, Olsen, Moore & Nielsen to name a few. However the Oxford Promoter at the the time didn't exactly enamour himself with Todd Wiltshire in an interview with Todd some years ago!

Edited by steve roberts