British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DutchGrasstrack

FIM signs extensive deal with Eurosport Events

Why is all the discussion about tv deals. From what I understand this announcement was that Eurosport EVENTS have taking over the running and promoting of SGP/SoN etc from BSI in 2022. I presume Eurosport will take over the tv deal aswell eventually but that is secondary and the big debate should be how Eurosport Events will promote these series in future. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HE did not and will not personally get a cut from Eurosport deal although, of course, Swindon like any other Elite League club will.

Do you know how much each club will get per year from Eurosport?

1 hour ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Do you know how much each club will get per year from Eurosport?

NO but doubt it is anywhere near what they got from Sky

On 10/7/2020 at 10:53 AM, Rob B said:

Why is all the discussion about tv deals. From what I understand this announcement was that Eurosport EVENTS have taking over the running and promoting of SGP/SoN etc from BSI in 2022. I presume Eurosport will take over the tv deal aswell eventually but that is secondary and the big debate should be how Eurosport Events will promote these series in future. 

It looks like this assumption may be incorrect as I understand that Eurosport events have put together a tender document for the broadcast rights to Speedway GP and interestingly World Cup. These rights are for individual countries inc main Speedway nations UK,Poland,Denmark and Sweden. So possibly they have realised that better return on investment will happen if they sell the rights off on an individual basis and then show it on their own channels in countries that do not take up a broadcast rights contract like France,Holland,Spain  and Turkey .

The other that also has to be considered is that this tender process could just be a EU law compliance exercise to say it was put out to competition tender but Eurosport TV always have the highest bid 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, flagrag said:

It looks like this assumption may be incorrect as I understand that Eurosport events have put together a tender document for the broadcast rights to Speedway GP and interestingly World Cup. These rights are for individual countries inc main Speedway nations UK,Poland,Denmark and Sweden. So possibly they have realised that better return on investment will happen if they sell the rights off on an individual basis and then show it on their own channels in countries that do not take up a broadcast rights contract like France,Holland,Spain  and Turkey .

The other that also has to be considered is that this tender process could just be a EU law compliance exercise to say it was put out to competition tender but Eurosport TV always have the highest bid 

Which is exactly what i posted about on October 2nd

TV revenues will be the key. We are assuming that Eurosport being pan European will show the GP’s throughout Europe. This will not bring in revenue the same as renewing contracts with Canal plus Poland and Danish, Swedish and GB contracts. It will be interesting what they decide to do."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Which is exactly what i posted about on October 2nd

TV revenues will be the key. We are assuming that Eurosport being pan European will show the GP’s throughout Europe. This will not bring in revenue the same as renewing contracts with Canal plus Poland and Danish, Swedish and GB contracts. It will be interesting what they decide to do."

As I said before, they now have the possibility to sell subscription directly to viewers (Eurosport player/discovery play), BSI never had that possibility. They are basically
cutting off one middle man (broadcasting companies like Viasat) so it will be FIM event->Eurosport-> viewers and not FIM event->BSI/IMG->Middle man->viewers.

Hi just been told by a BT staff member that, sometime in the future, Eurosport will no longer be available as part of BT or Sky packages (not sure about Virgin Media}. Is there anyone who can confirm, or deny this, or give any more information on this. I am wondering if it will be available independently in the same way as Premier sports. Any info appreciated. Thanks

5 hours ago, ShyTalk said:

Hi just been told by a BT staff member that, sometime in the future, Eurosport will no longer be available as part of BT or Sky packages (not sure about Virgin Media}. Is there anyone who can confirm, or deny this, or give any more information on this. I am wondering if it will be available independently in the same way as Premier sports. Any info appreciated. Thanks

It's already available independently via its Eurosport player. 

I believe Sky signed a long term deal with Discovery in June this year anyway. 

Edited by Noodles