British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Most Race Winners

Here's the next in my series of odd queries; what is the greatest number of different race winners during a match?

Have we ever had a situation where no rider won more than one heat?

This one needs some deep thought...wish that I'd hung on to all my programmes now!

29 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

This one needs some deep thought...wish that I'd hung on to all my programmes now!

That's why I love Speedway Researcher! Still, as we've seen previously, BL65 and Dave Allan seem to have this stuff in their heads!

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Here's the next in my series of odd queries; what is the greatest number of different race winners during a match?

Have we ever had a situation where no rider won more than one heat?

I will have to think about this one.  In the 13 heat match era 7 different riders often won races in a meeting, but I do recall there being 9 heat winners in the Newcastle-Wolverhampton match in 1965 (Craven 2, Brett 4, Kelly, Guasco, Airey, Francis, Jarman, Andrews, Sweetman).  In 1966 there were again 9 heat winners in the Cradley Heath-Wolverhampton Midland Cup match (Brown 3, Hughes, Featherby, Julian, Francis,2, Vandenberg 2, Maxted, Cowland, Jarman).

Edited by BL65
  • Like 1

If you weren't such a fraud, chunky, I'd get my programmes out and have a look....oh, ok, I might do it anyway.

1 hour ago, norbold said:

If you weren't such a fraud, chunky, I'd get my programmes out and have a look....oh, ok, I might do it anyway.

Hey, it gives you something to do - rather than aggravating other BSF members! That's MY job, apparently...

Another 9 from 13 heats which I saw was in the Wolverhampton v Belle Vue meeting in 1968 (Airey, Bond 2, Vandenberg, Hemus 2, Jarman, Handley, Maidment, Roper 2, Sjosten 2).

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Hey, it gives you something to do - rather than aggravating other BSF members! That's MY job, apparently...

Why would you say that Chunky ???? why not just comment on the subject ?

14 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Why would you say that Chunky ???? why not just comment on the subject ?

Because norbold called me a fraud...

I for one enjoy your posts Chunky. Not sure but I wonder if in the Wolves - Newport meeting in October 1965 which ended up 64-14 to Wolves (on my birthday no less)-whether all the Wolves had at least one race win-do any of you know the answer. Wasps forever!!!

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

I for one enjoy your posts Chunky. Not sure but I wonder if in the Wolves - Newport meeting in October 1965 which ended up 64-14 to Wolves (on my birthday no less)-whether all the Wolves had at least one race win-do any of you know the answer. Wasps forever!!!

I haven't checked, but you should be able to check it yourself on Speedway Researcher. I think there have been multiple occasions where all seven on one team won a race (if I remember "Seery's Statistics" correctly).

On 10/1/2020 at 2:55 PM, chunky said:

That's why I love Speedway Researcher! Still, as we've seen previously, BL65 and Dave Allan seem to have this stuff in their heads!

Actually I just have a lot of 'stuff' on my PC and happen to be a dab hand with a 'search' function :D

Updating an Exeter 1984 file I've picked up a 9 from 13 - Monday 27th August 1984 Exeter v Poole (BL). All 7 home riders won at least one race (Mauger 3, Willmott 2, Campbell/Maxfield/Robinson/Andersen/Carr all 1) with guest Simmons (2) and Jakobsen (1) winning for Pirates.

1 minute ago, daveallan81 said:

Actually I just have a lot of 'stuff' on my PC and happen to be a dab hand with a 'search' function :D

Updating an Exeter 1984 file I've picked up a 9 from 13 - Monday 27th August 1984 Exeter v Poole (BL). All 7 home riders won at least one race (Mauger 3, Willmott 2, Campbell/Maxfield/Robinson/Andersen/Carr all 1) with guest Simmons (2) and Jakobsen (1) winning for Pirates.

I wish I had the time to put everything on computer! Actually, I wish we'd had the technology back in the 70's and 80's...

I knew there had been several cases of all seven team-members winning a race, but I am sure there must be one or two cases of 10 (maybe 11) different race winners from 13. Obviously, the main thing is to look at a good team, solid from 1 to 7, and riding away from home. My first thought was Poole in 1969, but no luck there...

I don't have all the figures, but I wonder if a Cradley team from the early 80's would be a good place to look.

I should be able to a little more of my own research now, as I have finally got all my Speedway Stars that were in storage 400 miles away...

Speedway Researcher-what a wonderful site and many thanks  to the folks who run it. I took Chunky's advice and looked up Wolves  v. Newport on 8 October 1965 (my birthday -no need to send a card!!!) what a birthday present to a Wasps fan!! Here's the deal- all of the Wolves scored a max. Andrews, Sweetman, Francis, Airey,  Jarman and Maxted. Guasco only man out-but even Gord had a paid maximum-four seconds. BTW I know what has happened  in later years to all the Wolves riders except Brian Maxted-anybody have any update on Brian

BTW Wasps bounced back from that awful defeat by beating CH 35-43 a week or so later (only their second away win of that season

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

Speedway Researcher-what a wonderful site and many thanks  to the folks who run it. I took Chunky's advice and looked up Wolves  v. Newport on 8 October 1965 (my birthday -no need to send a card!!!) what a birthday present to a Wasps fan!! Here's the deal- all of the Wolves scored a max. Andrews, Sweetman, Francis, Airey,  Jarman and Maxted. Guasco only man out-but even Gord had a paid maximum-four seconds. BTW I know what has happened  in later years to all the Wolves riders except Brian Maxted-anybody have any update on Brian

BTW Wasps bounced back from that awful defeat by beating CH 35-43 a week or so later (only their second away win of that season

They can't all have got maximums? 

Just checked - Airey got beat by Alby Golden in heat 2.

when Cradley won 64-14 it was none other than Gundersen who missed out. Airey and Gundersen - what's the odds?