British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Most Race Winners

On 10/1/2020 at 11:05 AM, BL65 said:

I will have to think about this one.  In the 13 heat match era 7 different riders often won races in a meeting, but I do recall there being 9 heat winners in the Newcastle-Wolverhampton match in 1965 (Craven 2, Brett 4, Kelly, Guasco, Airey, Francis, Jarman, Andrews, Sweetman).  In 1966 there were again 9 heat winners in the Cradley Heath-Wolverhampton Midland Cup match (Brown 3, Hughes, Featherby, Julian, Francis,2, Vandenberg 2, Maxted, Cowland, Jarman).

Sheffield won at Coatbridge (40-38) on April 6, 1973, and there were 9 different race winners. Interesting thing is that the first 8 heats provided 8 different winners!

Top scorers for losing Tigers were McMillan (9), and Beat on and Sjosten (8), while the winning Tigers had Haley, Wilson, and Wyer all scoring 8.

EDIT : I have yet to find a 13-heat match with 10 different race winners - but I have found one with 11!

On September 21, 1976, Weymouth hosted a double-header, with the second match being the second leg of a challenge against Stoke. Wizards won 41-37. Five of the Wizards won a race, as did six Potters.

Mike Sampson won three (the only rider to win more than one), and only Geoff Swindells, Martin Yeates, and Malcolm Shakespeare failed to win a race.

The others were Chris Robins, Tim Nunan, Steve McDermott, Mick Newton, Mal Corradine, Robert Maxfield, Billy Spiers, Jim Brett, Les Collins, and Brian Leonard.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 4:20 PM, salty said:

They can't all have got maximums? 

Just checked - Airey got beat by Alby Golden in heat 2.

when Cradley won 64-14 it was none other than Gundersen who missed out. Airey and Gundersen - what's the odds?

Well done Salty, thanks for correcting my mistake, I missed the obvious there. Cheers mate.