British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Welwyn

2021 SGP Field

10 minutes ago, iainb said:

Was it Loktaev that blew it in the GP Challenge? For me it doesn't really matter what nationality he is, I think of rather see the 4th place from the challenge or Gleb than the likes of Dudek again

I thought he'd made a semi (s) before? Could be wrong

Your right.Thanks.He also lost out on count back (if I’m right).He has been in the mix most of his races,unlike Lindback ,Dudek and Iversen who have been pretty woeful. It’s a tough ask in the GPs though.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

He qualified by right but Berntzon will struggle in GP.IMO. The system needs a shake up.

8 hours ago, iainb said:

Personally I'd like to see G Laguta instead of A, I'd even have Gleb ahead of A Laguta, maybe Lidsey instead of Fricke, Fricke as a choice would be a knee jerk choice based on last nights win, he's not shown much else during the series and didn't qualify from the Challenge and even Lindback & Kolodziej have wond GP's. Final spot... Nicki P for me, there's still life in the old dog yet

Gleb is Polish at present which effectively rules him out, same reason as Dudek although Speedway Star keep banging on about his Monster Energy contacts ( I didn't think they had any input in the choice of wildcards ) so never say never. Rule of thumb says there will be 2 Swedes and 2 Danes in the series so we are effectively looking for 1 Dane as Welwyn says. Most posters on here are pleading for new blood in the series but still back the return of Nicki Pedersen . Nicki's form has improved this year in Poland but I think most want him back as he is " box office " or  as Graeme Souness described himself " I sometime infringe the rules " .Nicki has had a great career in the GP but time to look forward Anders Thomson for me for his performance at Gorzow and being Danish champion.

• Like 1

No way should a rider who doesn’t know if he’s Russian or Polish when it suits be considered for a W/C for me

I wonder if he will be Russian again in 2 weeks.

Edited by Crazy robin

3 hours ago, iwright71 said:

Gleb is Polish at present which effectively rules him out, same reason as Dudek although Speedway Star keep banging on about his Monster Energy contacts ( I didn't think they had any input in the choice of wildcards ) so never say never. Rule of thumb says there will be 2 Swedes and 2 Danes in the series so we are effectively looking for 1 Dane as Welwyn says. Most posters on here are pleading for new blood in the series but still back the return of Nicki Pedersen . Nicki's form has improved this year in Poland but I think most want him back as he is " box office " or  as Graeme Souness described himself " I sometime infringe the rules " .Nicki has had a great career in the GP but time to look forward Anders Thomson for me for his performance at Gorzow and being Danish champion.

Anders Thomson will be picked for commercial reasons but outside the gps there isn't many riders better than him. Gregory Laguta has got no chance now as they will never give 3 Russian picks.

Fricke doesn't deserve a wild-card, he's been crap for most of the series.

Emil and the Laguta brothers all deserve wildcards. I'd also like to see Lidsey, Kubera and Piotr Pawlicki in the series. Leszno are the best team in the world but only have 1 rider in the GP series.

Edited by KeirStarmerFan

1 hour ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

Emil and the Laguta brothers all deserve wildcards. I'd also like to see Lidsey, Kubera and Piotr Pawlicki in the series. Leszno are the best team in the world but only have 1 rider in the GP series.

There's no chance Greg Laguta will get a wildcard. Two Russians in the series already and when push comes to shove, he disappears e.g at the GP Challenge.

I'd like Timo Lahti to get a wildcard, but know he won't. Still he has the same chance as Kubera and Piotr Pawlicki - zero.

19 minutes ago, moomin man 76 said:

There's no chance Greg Laguta will get a wildcard. Two Russians in the series already and when push comes to shove, he disappears e.g at the GP Challenge.

I'd like Timo Lahti to get a wildcard, but know he won't. Still he has the same chance as Kubera and Piotr Pawlicki - zero.

Russia's GDP on its own is higher than Poland, Sweden and Denmark's combined GDP.

If the BSI are serious about cracking the Russian market then Grigory should get a wild card.

Edited by KeirStarmerFan

You have the top 6 (BZ, TW, FL, MJ, LM & JD) plus Lambert, Kasprzak, Berntzon &  Zagar.  6 + 4 = 10.

Sayfutindov has had a poor GP year but was in with a shout of title going into the last round of 2019 and top of the Ekstraliga averages.  Artem Laguta can be unbeatable on his night, quickest rider in the world if he hits the front, 2nd in the Ekstraliga averages in a team that has seriously under performed.  Fricke is young, was poor generally but won a round deserves another year.

So it's basically 2 from Anders Thomsen (Danish Champion), Grigorij Laguta (6th in Ekstraliga averages, 3rd in SEC) or Martin Vaculik.  Covid could play a huge part in this, if there is likely to be a Russian GP or a Danish GP then that might edge it for rider from that country.  I gave up looking at the state of Covid infections around Europe once my last holiday was cancelled.

Edited by Col

12 hours ago, iainb said:

Was it Loktaev that blew it in the GP Challenge? For me it doesn't really matter what nationality he is, I think of rather see the 4th place from the challenge or Gleb than the likes of Dudek again

I thought he'd made a semi (s) before? Could be wrong

Fricke made 2 semis, turned 1 into a GP win, and missed the cut for three other semis by one point.  He was poor R1 & R3, but has been a lot more solid overall than a number of comments in this forum would indicate.  His less than great extraliga average may not help his chances of a WC but.  The idea of new blood is wonderful, especially given that NKI, Lindbaek, and MM have proven not competitive, but there is little to suggest from the speedway year results that any of the young prospects or recycling options are likely to do better than this years top ten.  Nikki on form, even without considering past exploits looks to me one of the better options for the 15th spot.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

Piotr Pawlicki is very professional at falling off after a slight touch. 

I was quite impressed with the Latvian Rider Lebedevs in the swc a couple of years ago. What has he done lately since winning the SEC?

On another note i would like to see riders in the GP field barred from entering the qualifying rounds held in the same season so they can't sneak back in through the back door for the next season. This would open the door for more riders on the way up rather than having riders in the series who rarely threaten to make the top 6 (formerly 8) but keep getting back in through the GP Challenge. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

GUT feeling ... Nicki Pedersen to join top 10, GP Challenge qualifiers and Lambert...

I can’t see beyond top 10 - no one around to rival them. Too early for Lidsey, Kubera etc. For commercial reasons, the series needs a second Dane so Thomsen or Pedersen. It’s BSI’s last year so, will they go down the income maximising route and go with NP, or will they accept that he won’t be competitive at this level and go for Thomsen? Maybe Thomsen should get himself on the Monster gravy train because, regardless of what is said publicly, only a fool would think they won’t have an opportunity to give their view.