British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Welwyn

2021 SGP Field

5 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Probably would have got a ban if he didn’t after being nominated.Thats Speedway!!!

A ban from competing in what?

1 minute ago, eric i said:

I don't think that would be possible.

I disagree,but it’s about opinions.

All in all, the substitute list is Loktaev for his performance in the GP Challenge, followed by the finishing order in the World U21 Final. The latter was seeded as one rider per nation, hence there are riders now on the GP substitute list, who may not have even made it to a World U21 Final in a normal year.

I have no problem with promoting young riders, so long as they are competitive. Sadly with the exception of Lidsey and possibly Kubera those nominated are no where near GP standard.

In all probability, another one of Castagna's rubbish ideas...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, moomin man 76 said:

All in all, the substitute list is Loktaev for his performance in the GP Challenge, followed by the finishing order in the World U21 Final. The latter was seeded as one rider per nation, hence there are riders now on the GP substitute list, who may not have even made it to a World U21 Final in a normal year.

I have no problem with promoting young riders, so long as they are competitive. Sadly with the exception of Lidsey and possibly Kubera those nominated are no where near GP standard.

In all probability, another one of Castagna's rubbish ideas...

Agree,you could name 1/2 dozen Young Danes and Poles who are a lot better .

23 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

But these old stagers can still teach the young ones a lesson. Zagar, even though he had already quailed for next year was still giving it some welly, he got a semi place over the 8 rounds.

He won 1 race in 8 rounds. And ironically that wasn't when he made his one semi final.

It seems very tough on Smektala as the list is promoting young talent. But because he's 22 he is overlooked for a load of 21 year olds, of whom only Lidsey is currently a match for him. (although I do think Kubera will turn out better than Smektala in the long run).

My choices

1 Lidsey

2 Michelsen

3 Smektala or Pawlicki

4 Loktaev

5 Holder

6 Pawlicki or Smektala

• Like 3

On 10/5/2020 at 9:04 PM, iainb said:

All very safe expected picks... maybe it's time to look at a radical overhaul of the SGP with the new rights holders. It seems to me that the only reason that 16 riders are included in a world final/ GP series is because mathematically this works out that each rider meets every other rider once over the course of 20 heats. Over the course of the World Championship there has generally never really been a rider been a rider from outside of the top 8 who have gone on to win it (although no doubt somebody will come up with an exception Szczakiel, Muller). 

A certain Tai Woffinden in 2013? Madsen came in and finished 2nd in 2019? Zmarzlik finished 3rd in his debut season, Dudek 2nd in his. 

23 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

A certain Tai Woffinden in 2013? Madsen came in and finished 2nd in 2019? Zmarzlik finished 3rd in his debut season, Dudek 2nd in his. 

Yeh, but apart from them, who else has made an impact as an unproven newcomer?

[Paraphrasing from the Life of Brian :icon_smile_clown: ]

Edited by False dawn

wouldn't be surprised if 2021 will be Woffinden's last season in speedway if he doesn't win the title.

car racing in Australia maybe?

5 hours ago, arnieg said:

It seems very tough on Smektala as the list is promoting young talent. But because he's 22 he is overlooked for a load of 21 year olds, of whom only Lidsey is currently a match for him. (although I do think Kubera will turn out better than Smektala in the long run).

My choices

1 Lidsey

2 Michelsen

3 Smektala or Pawlicki

4 Loktaev

5 Holder

6 Pawlicki or Smektala

Anyone one that list beats the reserve list hands down.Excluding Lidsey and Loktaev  as they are already on it.

3 hours ago, stevehone said:

wouldn't be surprised if 2021 will be Woffinden's last season in speedway if he doesn't win the title.

car racing in Australia maybe?

That thought had crossed my mind now 30 yrs old , serious back injury ,three titles ,young family and I would have imagine  not badly off either  who would blame him .With Bart & co he really has to go out of his comfort zone to beat them ,not something he has had do that  often before  or he can adopt the Hancock approach and play the safe long game .

Edited by FAST GATER

3 minutes ago, FAST GATER said:

That thought had crossed my mind now 30 yrs old , serious back injury ,three titles ,young family and I would have imagine  not badly off either  who would blame him .With Bart & co he really has to go out of his comfort zone to beat them ,not something he has had do that  often before  or he can adopt the Hancock approach and play the safe long game .

His BT Sport interview was good as he seemed really fired up.   He has not been safe this year with at least 3 big crashes.  None his fault if remembering right.    But he admitted to not being on form the whole season so may be its just a lack of confidence.  

20 minutes ago, FAST GATER said:

He is class act on a bike,don’t think he goes out of his comfort zone these days but is still at the top end of the sport.Will earn a lot of money in the next few years in a Poland so can see him sticking around the sport.Trouble is injuries can be due to other outside influences.Most of his injuries  This season were accidents that were caused by other riders.Glad to see his injuries are not too bad given the horrendous crash at the week end ,could have been a lot worse.
Ps.

Not his biggest fan, but recognise his ability.

• Like 1