British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rikard5150

Old points system GP results

On 10/4/2020 at 2:45 PM, Fromafar said:

I do think 4 Finals fighting for every  Point throughout the meeting Is a good option,it was there for everybody to see the Top men knowing 8/9 points would be enough for semi’s meant some conservative riding and picking up some easy points after a lap or so.

I think I could sign up to a 4 final formula. Top 4 from the 20 heats to the A final, the next 4 to the B final and so on. Then award WC points as per this year's system.
This would satisfy both arguments. Every race would count in that riders couldn't relax too much as the odd point could make a difference of 4 places or more. And the winner of the A final would always get the most points.
Also, someone crawling into the latter stages couldn't still win the meeting.

I think there's some real mileage in this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, False dawn said:

I think I could sign up to a 4 final formula. Top 4 from the 20 heats to the A final, the next 4 to the B final and so on. Then award WC points as per this year's system.
This would satisfy both arguments. Every race would count in that riders couldn't relax too much as the odd point could make a difference of 4 places or more. And the winner of the A final would always get the most points.
Also, someone crawling into the latter stages couldn't still win the meeting.

I think there's some real mileage in this.

4 finals would give TV and paying fans a scoring system that is easy to follow.  Every heat would be meaningful.    24 heats instead of 23.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

4 finals would give TV and paying fans a scoring system that is easy to follow.  Every heat would be meaningful.    24 heats instead of 23.  

A Final 25, 21, 18, 16

B Final 15, 13, 12, 11.

C Final  10, 8, 7, 6.

D Final 5, 3, 2, 1.

Those who have done the best on the night head to head against everyone else gets rewarded with the "big points"..

And there is an extra reward in every final for winning it..

And the overall GP winner gets a decent amount over second but hopefully not enough to have the series over by half way due to an unassailable lead if he wins a few..

And, which will please the FIM,  the GP winner is the one who crosses the line first in the final..

And the fifth race for everybody would be crucial to their final points scoring as the vast majority of the field would still not be sure of which Final they will race in, meaning a tense last four programmed races ideal for TV..

Then you can add four finals with the most evenly matched quartet of riders from qualifying up against one another...

• Like 2

We had this system with the D, C, B, and A finals during the 1990s SGP Series. It was also used for a long time in ice racing, but I did not like it.

Last year's points system was the best we ever had in the SGP! Every point counted. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bavarian said:

We had this system with the D, C, B, and A finals during the 1990s SGP Series. It was also used for a long time in ice racing, but I did not like it.

Last year's points system was the best we ever had in the SGP! Every point counted. 

Even though there were flaws with it - there will be with ANY system - I agree with you...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 9:41 PM, chunky said:

Even though there were flaws with it - there will be with ANY system - I agree with you...

Not with an "every race counts" system.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Not with an "every race counts" system.

It was an every race counts system last year - and there were flaws.

The old World Final system was an every race counts system - and there were flaws.

• Like 1

I don’t think C and D finals are necessary, I would have a B final for the riders who don’t make it through the semi finals however. 

Ben91, there wouldn't be any Semi Finals.

On 10/8/2020 at 7:43 PM, Mark said:

it would also give all 16 riders the chance to plug their sponsors while they 'ponder' over gate pick for their final. It's ideal for for this scoring system. Probably much better for TV highlights as well.

I quite like the idea of 5 finals.  D Final:13th to 16th, winner progresses to the C Final: with 10th to 12th, winner to B Final with 7th to 9th, winner to A Final with 4th to 6th, winner to the Grand Final with 1st to 3rd. All gate picks after heat 20, no track grading in between finals.  Effectively you could finish on zero points after 20 heats and still win the GP (however impossible that might be). Offset against the fact that you qualify direct to the Grand Final if you finish in the top three.  No safety net of finishing 2nd in a semi final.  After heat 20 you have to win it to still be in it. 

I suppose it's the conundrum all sports wrestle with. Balancing a fair test which rewards the best competitor with the need for entertainment.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 9:07 AM, LesR said:

Ben91, there wouldn't be any Semi Finals.

I think I’d prefer semi’s and a B and A final personally. If you’re outside the top eight then your night is over. 

I would like to see all points count and then either 2 semi finals and then a A & B final or two A & B Finals, the points carried forward from the 20 heats then extra points of 1 to 8 for positions in the finals

No need to reinvent the wheel.

Just return to the (immediate) pre 2020 method.

Perfect.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Grand Central said:

No need to reinvent the wheel.

Just return to the (immediate) pre 2020 method.

Perfect.

Fine by me but with the small tweak of standing the rider who took the most points out of the meeting on the top step of the podium instead of the one that won the last race, then it would make sense.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Fine by me but with the small tweak of standing the rider who took the most points out of the meeting on the top step of the podium instead of the one that won the last race, then it would make sense.

No. 

Thats just daft.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1