British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Should the double Grand Prix weekends be retained?

13 hours ago, screm said:

Its been a success and would prove popular with travelling fans to each venue, unfortunately the powers that be, in Poland mainly, wont wear it for a full GP season.

Maybe time for the FIM to start flexing its muscles because at the moment the tail is wagging the dog

10 minutes ago, iainb said:

Maybe time for the FIM to start flexing its muscles because at the moment the tail is wagging the dog

Not really.

The SGP doesn't pay anything like a living wage to the riders, whereas the Polish leagues do. It's the FIM and BSI who've been wagging the dog for years, effectively getting top flight performers at cut prices. 

9 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Not really.

The SGP doesn't pay anything like a living wage to the riders, whereas the Polish leagues do. It's the FIM and BSI who've been wagging the dog for years, effectively getting top flight performers at cut prices. 

they've now got 100,000,000 in the bank though

32 minutes ago, iainb said:

they've now got 100,000,000 in the bank though

I doubt it's all paid up front.

Assuming that the FIM still remains responsible for paying the prize money though, even if they quadrupled it, I still don't think it would match what GP riders can command in Poland. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I doubt it's all paid up front.

Assuming that the FIM still remains responsible for paying the prize money though, even if they quadrupled it, I still don't think it would match what GP riders can command in Poland. 

You're kind of proving my point that the tail is wagging the dog

2 hours ago, iainb said:

You're kind of proving my point that the tail is wagging the dog

Simple matter of economics. Poland gets better crowds and presumably commands better sponsorship than the SGP. 

3 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Simple matter of economics. Poland gets better crowds and presumably commands better sponsorship than the SGP. 

I agree, but the FIM have responsibility for the whole of speedway not just Poland

Just now, iainb said:

I agree, but the FIM have responsibility for the whole of speedway not just Poland

There's never been the money to make the SGP a full-time circus, nor probably enough tracks able and willing to host the number of rounds necessary to make it full time circus. You'd probably need to be running every week from April to September, which is 26 rounds or so (although some of those could be the SoN).

I think you'd end-up with spectator fatigue seeing the same few riders week after week, even putting aside the issues that you'd ruin the Polish leagues.

18 minutes ago, Mark said:

Yes.  They work very well.

VERY good for the armchair viewers but not so good for the organisers. Doubt whether there will be any in 2021. But who knows if the dreaded Covid-19 is still wrecking our lives.

6 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

VERY good for the armchair viewers but not so good for the organisers. Doubt whether there will be any in 2021. But who knows if the dreaded Covid-19 is still wrecking our lives.

I'm surprised.   Thought setting up a track, TV cameras and all the other things that make a GP work would be easier to do once but for two meetings.    Can you explain why is not like that please.

• Like 1

Keep it as it was this year, really enjoyed it