British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WembleyLion

Closest matches ever

I have been looking through some programmes this year when I might otherwise have been out watching Speedway and I have been searching out the meetings where there were never more than two points either way throughout the meeting so obviously one can eliminate anything where the final score was more than two points difference.

From memory in 50 years and over 3,000 meetings I have only seen this happen less than 10 times but I need to fully check.

Anyway here is the first one:-

26/09/70 - Wembley 40 v 38 Newcastle 

Happiness is...

• Like 1

Oxford vs Halifax, cant remember the year, 12 3 all's one 4-2 to Oxford, sure someone will know the details, do have the programme somewhere though

Found a few more I have been to with never more than two points between the teams:-

16/05/75 Peterborough 38 v 40 Birmingham 

27/04/76 Crayford 40 v 38 Newcastle 

06/07/78 Ipswich 39 v 38 Reading

07/05/79 Ipswich 39 v 39 Birmingham 

28/04/80 Reading 39 v 39 King’s Lynn

Has there ever been a meeting where EVERY heat was a 3-3?

1 hour ago, The Third Man said:

Oxford vs Halifax, cant remember the year, 12 3 all's one 4-2 to Oxford, sure someone will know the details, do have the programme somewhere though

30th July 1970. Colin Gooddy and Mick Bell got the 4-2 over Graham Plant and Alan Jay in heat 7.

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

30th July 1970. Colin Gooddy and Mick Bell got the 4-2 over Graham Plant and Alan Jay in heat 7.

Thanks

There are more but I didn't include draws or 43-41 etc.....if you want them I can post all that too.

Edited by andout

1 hour ago, andout said:

There are more but I didn't include draws or 43-41 etc.....if you want them I can post all that too.

Thanks for this but I was asking a different question and was looking for matches where there was no more than two points between the teams throughout the meeting which will not be that many I suspect.

Your list shows all matches where the final result was no more than two points between the teams which will be plentiful as your list shows.

If you could filter it to show those where the scores were never more than two points difference throughout the entire meeting that would be of great interest to me.

6 minutes ago, WembleyLion said:

Thanks for this but I was asking a different question and was looking for matches where there was no more than two points between the teams throughout the meeting which will not be that many I suspect.

Your list shows all matches where the final result was no more than two points between the teams which will be plentiful as your list shows.

If you could filter it to show those where the scores were never more than two points difference throughout the entire meeting that would be of great interest to me.

Understood.....Sorry......that is impossible with what I have......I wish you luck.

56 minutes ago, WembleyLion said:

The problem with all this stuff is that there are no statistics readily available - unlike weird stats in other sports. With speedway, we have trouble accessing all official stats, and if we have any weird questions, we have to manually wade through pages of magazines and computer files...

Thanks andout and Chunky.

I’m off this week so will continue to go through my own records of meetings I have attended. I actually reckon I have seen more dead heats than matches where both teams scores where within two points of each other for the entirety of the match.

As I said, now I have all my books and magazines out of storage, so at least I can through some. Of course, it's so much better having the internet now, and at some point, I would like to create a website so we have all this stuff readily available! Just a matter of finding time...

28 minutes ago, chunky said:

As I said, now I have all my books and magazines out of storage, so at least I can through some. Of course, it's so much better having the internet now, and at some point, I would like to create a website so we have all this stuff readily available! Just a matter of finding time...

Most of it can be found on the Speedway Researcher website. It would just be a matter of extracting whatever stats you want from that - closest matches, no. of maximums etc.

Wednesday 21st March 2001: Yorkshire Cup - 1st leg
Hull Vikings    44         Sheffield 'STAR' Tigers    46     

2. 74.3 (3-3) ( 6-6 ) Moore, J.Smith, Elkins, Hodgson(2mins) 
 3. 73.2 (4-2) (10-8 ) Dicken, S.Stead, Walsh,  Allott
 4.   -     (3-3) (13-11) G.Stead, Wilson, Moore, Elkins(Fx)
 5. 73.3 (1-5) (14-16) Kessler, S.Smith, Walsh, Dicken 
 6. 72.1 (4-2) (18-18) Thorp, Wilson, M.Smith, Hodgson(F) 
 7. 71.9 (3-3) (21-21) G.Stead, Allott, S.Stead, J.Smith 
 8. 72.9 (2-4) (23-25) S.Smith, Elkins, Moore, M.Smith  
 9. 72.4 (3-3) (26-28) Dicken, Wilson, Hodgson, Walsh 
10. 70.9 (4-2) (30-30) Thorp, S.Stead, M.Smith, Allott  
11. 71.3 (3-3) (33-33) Kessler, G.Stead, J.Smith, S.Smith  
12. 71.3 (2-4) (35-37) S.Stead, Walsh, Hodgson, Elkins(R)
13. 73.6 (4-2) (39-39) G.Stead, Wilson, Thorp, Kessler(X) 
14. 74.7 (3-3) (42-42) Dicken, Moore, Allott, J.Smith  
15. 72.7 (2-4) (44-46) Kessler, G.Stead, S.Stead, Thorp(15m)