British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WembleyLion

Closest matches ever

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Most of it can be found on the Speedway Researcher website. It would just be a matter of extracting whatever stats you want from that - closest matches, no. of maximums etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love Speedway Researcher, but there are still a lot of results missing - including a number of whole years for particular teams. The advantage of the results there as opposed to magazines (particularly older ones) is that the result grids are displayed, rather than just heat results.

I really appreciate what everyone involved with Speedway Researcher has done, so that is not a criticism in any way.

Edited by chunky

With speedway researcher, i find the results and fixtures for the year a great help, rather than any particular track. My speedway and football records are pretty basic. I only list the date and the the score of any event I've been to. I ain't got time to do anything else!

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

With speedway researcher, i find the results and fixtures for the year a great help, rather than any particular track. My speedway and football records are pretty basic. I only list the date and the the score of any event I've been to. I ain't got time to do anything else!

Most of my knowledge I have to go on memory...which is not always reliable...with the odd dabble in various  speedway publications!

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Most of my knowledge I have to go on memory...which is not always reliable...with the odd dabble in various  speedway publications!

I've always kept records. Even as a young child, i had lists of tracks i wanted to go to!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

I've always kept records. Even as a young child, i had lists of tracks i wanted to go to!

Most of them I went to have closed down! :cry:

My opinion as far as records and history (and darts is the same as speedway) is that the governing bodies have all the stats, so why can't THEY make them available? It's obviously easier now with the internet, but surely they have some kind of accessible history? Of course, we are talking about the British speedway authorities...

Guest compost
54 minutes ago, chunky said:

Most of them I went to have closed down! :cry:

My opinion as far as records and history (and darts is the same as speedway) is that the governing bodies have all the stats, so why can't THEY make them available? It's obviously easier now with the internet, but surely they have some kind of accessible history? Of course, we are talking about the British speedway authorities...

Wouldn't it be a case that until team strengths were based on rider averages there was no need for the authorities to  keep any stats ?  Having said that, back in the 40's & 50's reserves had to move into the main body of the team if they scored at least 50% of the points available to them (I seem to recall reading somewhere). Wasn't Bryan Seery's stats ,initially at least, unofficial ? Just a couple of thoughts.

2 minutes ago, compost said:

Wouldn't it be a case that until team strengths were based on rider averages there was no need for the authorities to  keep any stats ?  Having said that, back in the 40's & 50's reserves had to move into the main body of the team if they scored at least 50% of the points available to them (I seem to recall reading somewhere). Wasn't Bryan Seery's stats ,initially at least, unofficial ? Just a couple of thoughts.

Hadn't really thought about it like that, but I suppose it's possible. I wonder if anyone has any old rules and documentation?

Peter Jackson compiled complete averages for the years 1933-1957 (at least, as they are the one I have). They have all been converted to the common four ride average system we use today.

Guest compost
13 hours ago, norbold said:

Peter Jackson compiled complete averages for the years 1933-1957 (at least, as they are the one I have). They have all been converted to the common four ride average system we use today.

In order to compile a complete set of averages you need to have a complete set of results, so do you have any idea if such a set of results exists ? Do these averages exist for the second division (as for sure no complete set of results exists on the researcher website) ?  Thanks

48 minutes ago, compost said:

In order to compile a complete set of averages you need to have a complete set of results, so do you have any idea if such a set of results exists ? Do these averages exist for the second division (as for sure no complete set of results exists on the researcher website) ?  Thanks

As far as I can see, Peter has used a full set of results for 1933-1957. His averages are only First Division though.

Guest compost
1 minute ago, norbold said:

As far as I can see, Peter has used a full set of results for 1933-1957. His averages are only First Division though.

Thanks norbold.  Shame about Second Division pre-war.