British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest compost

Unusual individual meetings

Guest compost

Hopefully not stealing Chunky's thunder but I've wondered for some time if there has ever been a UK 16 rider/20 heat individual meeting where the points scored by the riders went 15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,0.  Anyone come across such a result ?  The nearest I can recall coming across was 15,14,13,12,11,10,9 though I don't remember what the meeting was.  PS. If it helps multiple riders could have scored 0.

1 minute ago, compost said:

Hopefully not stealing Chunky's thunder but I've wondered for some time if there has ever been a UK 16 rider/20 heat individual meeting where the points scored by the riders went 15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1,0.  Anyone come across such a result ?  The nearest I can recall coming across was 15,14,13,12,11,10,9 though I don't remember what the meeting was.  PS. If it helps multiple riders could have scored 0.

Don't worry, that is something I've already thought about! This is what is great, though; I love people coming up with these questions and possible scenarios.

What's the lowest winning score in a standard 20-heat individual meeting?

What is the largest winning margin?

What is the largest number of separate race winners?

1 hour ago, chunky said:

What's the lowest winning score in a standard 20-heat individual meeting?

Not being a mathematician myself, do you (or anyone else come to that) know what the lowest possible winning score is?

7 minutes ago, norbold said:

Not being a mathematician myself, do you (or anyone else come to that) know what the lowest possible winning score is?

i would imagine 9 after a run off

First four races everyone scores 3 2 1 0, and then four riders get 3 points from the last four races, therefore four on 9, and a runoff for first place

could be wrong though

Edited by The Third Man

There are 120 available points in a 20 heat individual meeting. Divide that by 16 and you'd get 8 point something, so the lowest possible winning score would be 9, if my maths is correct, which there's every chance of it not being.

Just now, The Third Man said:

i would imagine 9 after a run off

First four races everyone scores 3 2 1 0, and the four riders get 3 points from the last four races, therefore four on 9, and a runoff for first place

could be wrong though

You are wrong; it's 8...

I used to think it was 9, but there are 120 points available, which means you can have eight scoring 8 (64) and 8 on 7 (56).

• Like 1

Just now, chunky said:

You are wrong; it's 8...

I used to think it was 9, but there are 120 points available, which means you can have eight scoring 8 (64) and 8 on 7 (56).

But is that possible with the system of points scoring?

6 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

But is that possible with the system of points scoring?

Absolutely. You are making the same mistake I used to make - working on the assumption that everyone was on 6 after four rides! Put some on 7 and some on 5 - that will still balance out. All it means is that the riders on 5 will win their last rides.

I am at work at the moment, so I will show you exactly later.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

Absolutely. You are making the same mistake I used to make - working on the assumption that everyone was on 6 after four rides! Put some on 7 and some on 5 - that will still balance out. All it means is that the riders on 5 will win their last rides.

So, if you had eight riders on eight points, you would have to have two semi-finals and a final to decide the winner. That sounds like a really ridiculous way of deciding the winner of an individual meeting....oh, hang on a minute....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, chunky said:

Its OK i can see how it works, fun for the run offs though

4 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Its OK i can see how it works, fun for the run offs though

Actually, I just did a quick run through here. I had ten on 8, four on 7, and two on six...

There are many options, but they all come out to an eight-point winner!

So, when I say I'm an anorak - I mean "I'M AN ANORAK"!

For some reason, I just love weird stuff like this - same as my GP claim. For those who don't know - particularly if you thought last year's GP scoring was "perfect", it was possible for a rider to win EVERY GP, and still not qualify for this year in the Top 8. Fact...

I came very close to seeing five riders tie on 13 points in the Golden Hammer on 23 October 2017. 
It was going nicely to plan right up until heat 19 when Max Clegg had to win which he did and Ashley Morris had to finish second which I recall was going to happen until he fell and remounted for third. In heat 20 Broc Nicol would have also have needed a second behind the winner Ben Morley but Broc fell and was excluded although it didn’t matter by then as the possibility of five riders on 13 had ceased in heat 19!

46 minutes ago, chunky said:

Actually, I just did a quick run through here. I had ten on 8, four on 7, and two on six...

There are many options, but they all come out to an eight-point winner!

From a mathematical point of view the answer is 7.5 I guess. 120 available points divided by 16 riders.
This would involve at number of dead heats! :shock:

Edited by WembleyLion

5 minutes ago, WembleyLion said:

From a mathematical point of view the answer is 7.5 I guess. 120 available points divided by 16 riders.
This would involve at number of dead heats! :shock:

It is an average of 7.5 per rider, but obviously for it to be won with 7.5, it would require ALL dead heats...