British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest compost

Unusual individual meetings

5 minutes ago, chunky said:

It is an average of 7.5 per rider, but obviously for it to be won with 7.5, it would require ALL dead heats...

No, just 8 dead heats (or less if you also have some 4 rider dead heats).

2 minutes ago, arnieg said:

No, just 8 dead heats (or less if you also have some 4 rider dead heats).

Yeah, I realised that after I said it; I just didn't have time to get back on and correct it!

So, What is the rule for points on dead heats for more than two riders? Yeah, we're REALLY complicating this now...

9 minutes ago, chunky said:

Yeah, I realised that after I said it; I just didn't have time to get back on and correct it!

So, What is the rule for points on dead heats for more than two riders? Yeah, we're REALLY complicating this now...

3 riders get two points each. 4 Riders would get 1.5 points each.

40 minutes ago, chunky said:

It is an average of 7.5 per rider, but obviously for it to be won with 7.5, it would require ALL dead heats...

I think it would require a minimum of 4 (4 way!) dead heats so technically not all!

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Didn't the FIM do away with dead heats in recent years?

Edit - Apparently not. The SGP rules still mention them.

Edited by HenryW

Guest compost

I'm sure I've seen somewhere an individual meeting which needed a 5 rider run-off to determine the winner. They all scored 10 points.  Just don't recall the event sadly (advancing age).

Guest compost
15 minutes ago, Duane said:

Was that at a GP challenge a few years ago? 

The one I'm struggling to recollect wasn't a GP meeting.

2 hours ago, compost said:

The one I'm struggling to recollect wasn't a GP meeting.

Could it have been a handicap meeting like the Olympique at Wolverhampton? That tended to have compacted scoring...

3 hours ago, compost said:

I'm sure I've seen somewhere an individual meeting which needed a 5 rider run-off to determine the winner. They all scored 10 points.  Just don't recall the event sadly (advancing age).

Think it was at Kings Lynn? 

Just checked - the Dow Diamond Trophy at the start if 1975 ended with 5 riders tied on 12 points.

4 man run off with Jim McMillan eliminated on fastest times. Except they made a mistake on the times (which was only realised after the run-off) and John Louis, who won the run-off, should have been the one placed 5th. Matters righted by a wee bit extra in Jimmy Mac's pay packet.

Edited by salty

3 hours ago, compost said:

That same thought crossed my mind last night. Was it a Riders' Championship event at Bradford? Instead of having a series of races they just stuck all 5 in a run-off?

Five riders tied on 12 points in the 1981 Continental Final, although that was the amount that qualified for Wembley.

They still had a series of run-offs which Egon Muller won from Ales Dryml, Edward Jancarz, Jiri Stancl and Zenon Plech.

Okay, very very unlikely but statistically possible. If the first 19 races resulted in all four riders crossing the line together, they would all have scored the same number of points (1.5?). So whoever wins the last race outright wins the meeting.