Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shrub

massive loss and wins at the same track in the same season

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Robbie B said:

11 May 1979 Hackney 22, Wimbledon 56 (new BL away win record)

Hackney (Finn Thomsen 7, Barry Thomas 7, Sean Willmott 3+1, Bo Petersen 3, Ted Hubbard 2+1, Bobby McNeil 0, Vic Harding 0)

Wimbledon (Edward Jancarz 12 max, Roger Johns 9+3 paid max, Larry Ross 11, Stefan Salomonsson 8+3, Rudy Muts 7+2, Colin Richardson 7, Patrick Pawson 2)

The following season on 23 May 1980 the scores were Hackney 56, Wimbledon 22

Hackney (Bo Petersen 12 max, Zenon Plech 11+1 paid max, Finn Thomsen 10+1, Barry Thomas 6+2, Roman Jankowski 6+2, Sean Willmott 7, Keith White 6)

Wimbledon (Edward Jancarz 9, Larry Ross 7, Roger Johns 5, Colin Richardson 1, Stefan Salomonsson 0, Mick Hines 0, Dave Brewer 0)

Shows how bad Hackney were that Patrick Pawson got two points! I was at the the match the following year. Cyril Maidment complained that the announcer was mispronouncing Jancarz's name. Needless to say he got a very dusty response..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, steve roberts said:

If I recall it was a robust challenge made by Billy...a 'do or die' effort. However we got the better of the "Witches" at Cowley despite the over enthusiasm of Trevor Jones!

I've just located a quote in the Oxford programme notes dated 17th April 1975 -

"...Roger (Oxford Team Manager) was very angry at the tactics of one of the Ipswich riders in that final heat, who, he claims, gave Dag and Rickard a shove that a rugby forward would have been proud of, and protested strongly to the referee".

Nah, just a sublime move, I'm sure he had at least one eye open! From memory (it was 45 years ago, bloody hell!) it was a typical move with a few elbows that you saw most weeks up and down the country and I don't recall the Oxford pair complaining or having words with Billy afterwards. Most teams had one or two in their side who loved that side of the racing, Billy was always up for a bit of that and the other Witch handy with his elbows at that time was Ted Howgego. Ted had the most ungainly style of any rider I've seen, was difficult to pass as no one knew where he was going, least of all Ted and was pretty fearless.

Going back to the Ipswich v Oxford match Gordon Kennett let you down, usually very good round Foxhall but failing to score that night but a real thorn in the Witches side was John Dews, who I think scored double figures.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shrub said:

Nah, just a sublime move, I'm sure he had at least one eye open! From memory (it was 45 years ago, bloody hell!) it was a typical move with a few elbows that you saw most weeks up and down the country and I don't recall the Oxford pair complaining or having words with Billy afterwards. Most teams had one or two in their side who loved that side of the racing, Billy was always up for a bit of that and the other Witch handy with his elbows at that time was Ted Howgego. Ted had the most ungainly style of any rider I've seen, was difficult to pass as no one knew where he was going, least of all Ted and was pretty fearless.

Going back to the Ipswich v Oxford match Gordon Kennett let you down, usually very good round Foxhall but failing to score that night but a real thorn in the Witches side was John Dews, who I think scored double figures.

John Dews was one of my favourites. It was John who kept Billy Sanders at the back in the last heat during the return fixture at Cowley thus earning the "Rebels" a win...payback time!

Great memories!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Robbie B said:

11 May 1979 Hackney 22, Wimbledon 56 (new BL away win record)

Hackney (Finn Thomsen 7, Barry Thomas 7, Sean Willmott 3+1, Bo Petersen 3, Ted Hubbard 2+1, Bobby McNeil 0, Vic Harding 0)

Wimbledon (Edward Jancarz 12 max, Roger Johns 9+3 paid max, Larry Ross 11, Stefan Salomonsson 8+3, Rudy Muts 7+2, Colin Richardson 7, Patrick Pawson 2)

The following season on 23 May 1980 the scores were Hackney 56, Wimbledon 22

Hackney (Bo Petersen 12 max, Zenon Plech 11+1 paid max, Finn Thomsen 10+1, Barry Thomas 6+2, Roman Jankowski 6+2, Sean Willmott 7, Keith White 6)

Wimbledon (Edward Jancarz 9, Larry Ross 7, Roger Johns 5, Colin Richardson 1, Stefan Salomonsson 0, Mick Hines 0, Dave Brewer 0)

That 79 match was the only time I recall sections of the crowd turning on Len Silver. It was a depressing year all round, (losing Vic, finishing bottom.) Zenon's World Final performance being the only high point.

Weirdly enough, although the Dons did the double over us that year we won the London Cup, and they won it the following year even though the Hawks did the double over them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Terry said:

That 79 match was the only time I recall sections of the crowd turning on Len Silver. It was a depressing year all round, (losing Vic, finishing bottom.) Zenon's World Final performance being the only high point.

Weirdly enough, although the Dons did the double over us that year we won the London Cup, and they won it the following year even though the Hawks did the double over them.

Recall King's Lynn winning at Hackney 57-20 in early 1980 and all appeared 'doom and gloom' only for the "Hawks" to turn their season round and nearly pulling off the championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Recall King's Lynn winning at Hackney 57-20 in early 1980 and all appeared 'doom and gloom' only for the "Hawks" to turn their season round and nearly pulling off the championship.

Yes that match was the catalyst. Len stormed into the dressing room ready to give the team the blasting of their lives, only to find that they were as upset as he was.

As you say it was onwards and upwards from that point on. Losing at home to Cradley at the start of October ended our challenge unfortunately, but after finishing bottom for the previous two seasons it was still a great year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can't believe there hasn't been any Exeter meetings mentioned yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exeter v Wolverhampton in 1965 saw a change in fortunes in the space of 4 weeks.  The Falcons won the Knock-Out Cup match on 6th September 59-37, but the Wolves gained revenge in the league fixture on 4th October, winning 48-30.  The same 14 riders took part in both meetings.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another big turn-around occurred at Brandon in 1981.  In a League Cup match in April Coventry beat Cradley Heath by 34 points, 65-31, but in the league fixture in August the result was a 26 point win for the Heathens, with the result being 26-52.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BL65 said:

The same 14 riders took part in both meetings.

Now, that IS fascinating!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vaguely remember a Newport Vs Heathens cup meeting from 1975, Friday night 49-29 then the following night 51-27 at Dudley Wood. I stand to be corrected tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although not a massive away win, Bristol 41 Norwich 42 on 21st July 1939 was remarkable as the result in the match on the same track 4 weeks earlier was Bristol 63 Norwich 18, both National League Division 2 meetings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy