British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

The NEW Wimbledon Stadium

On 10/13/2020 at 12:42 AM, chunky said:

Now look...

You are a speedway fan, I get it. So am I. A lot of us speedway fans have lost the teams we love. Over the years, a lot of football fans have also lost the teams they love, but it is clear that you don't give a crap about them. I am one of those who has lost both their speedway team AND their football team.

Speedway always was - and still is - my favourite sport.

Wimbledon was my favourite team, and I could be found at Plough Lane most weeks.

Wimbledon FC was my favourite team, and I could be found at Plough Lane most weeks.

How the hell do you think I felt, losing both? I'm not the only one. There are several BSF members who were regulars at both Wimbledon speedway AND football.

Yes, it's bittersweet, but speedway was never coming back. Football is not the reason for speedway's demise in Wimbledon. Or London. Or the UK.

At least WE have ONE team returning home - which is a lot better than none.

There really is no need for you to be such a bitter and spiteful b'stard towards people who have done absolutely nothing to you. Including those of us who have suffered the heartache of losing our team TWICE.

Afc Wimbledon have cheated and scammed so many non league clubs on thier "fairytale" climb. You honestly won't find many in the football world wishing them a great deal of success, let alone those in the Banger, stock car and greyhound communities.

On 10/14/2020 at 5:42 PM, teaboy279 said:

Afc Wimbledon have cheated and scammed so many non league clubs on thier "fairytale" climb. You honestly won't find many in the football world wishing them a great deal of success, let alone those in the Banger, stock car and greyhound communities.

There is not a lot of love for them in my neck of the woods. I work in Earlsfield and live in Surrey.

An online quote from 2018 that perhaps sums up the key risk for AFC (Covid apart)

This is a fact pointed out to me by club Chief Executive Erik Samuelson who inevitably moves to conversation on to talk of the club’s new 11,000-seater stadium, to be built on the old dog track at Plough Lane.

Samuelson says: “I think the biggest challenge and risk we now face is doubling our fan base in the new stadium, who might not know our story or be interested and have the attention span of a Premier League fan who wants the manager changed after three defeats.

“And avoiding that culture change, that mindset, is the biggest challenge we face. We can go up, we can go down, that’s manageable, losing our culture you’ll never get it back again.”

Edited by Sir Sidney