British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JohnHyam

Your 'first world champion'!

My initial thought was the answer would be Ivan riding for Belle Vue at Dudley Wood in 1969, but a quick check shows Swindon were the visitors the week before so Briggo it is.

I lost my cherry to Mike Lee on 30 May 1981, Belle Vue v King's Lynn. Don't quote me on that ;)

If anyone has the scores from that meeting, I'd love to see them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, falcace said:

I lost my cherry to Mike Lee on 30 May 1981, Belle Vue v King's Lynn. Don't quote me on that ;)

If anyone has the scores from that meeting, I'd love to see them.

Will dig them out. Would have been the first time I saw a reigning world champ as well. The first time I saw a rider who had been world champion would have been Ole at Belle Vue in the league cup earlier that season.

• Thanks 1

Peter Collins,heat 4 of the Yorkshire Bank Jubilee Trophy May 26th 1977.I didn't know who he was and didn't care,I just wanted to go home ! My first ever speedway meeting while we were staying in Sheffield at an Aunts house during half term.We didn't move back to Sheffield until mid September.

1 hour ago, waiheke1 said:

Will dig them out. Would have been the first time I saw a reigning world champ as well. The first time I saw a rider who had been world champion would have been Ole at Belle Vue in the league cup earlier that season.

Thanks very much. Missed the League Cup fixtures, the above was my very first match. 

Peter Craven, 25/5/63. My first meeting.

My Dad took me to see Belle Vue vs. Oxford.

He told me, "Oxford had a Panda in their team' - I believed him B).

This year is the first year that I haven't been to a Speedway meeting since that date. Haven't been to a Zoo to see a panda either... sad times.

• Like 1

I'm not 100% sure that I am understanding the rules of this question, but I THINK that Anders Michanek would be my first.

I think he was the first person that I saw race live who had previously been a World Champion.
The first reigning World Champion that I saw race live was Ivan Mauger...I think.

Egon limits the list of consecutive World Champs that I have seen race live...I'm fairly sure I have never seen Egon race since his win, but have seen every champ since him....and had seen every champ before him back to the other "surprise" of Jerzy.

Edit - Actually, the original question didn't specify racing...Just "the first world champion you saw"....So my answer might be different, but I was too young to remember, so I'll stick with the racing answer...
However, I have seen both Egon and Jerzy off track, so my list of World Champs that I have seen could go back much further....Currently trying to think whether I ever might have seen Bjorn Knutsson as he seems to be the next blocker :D

Edited by HenryW
  • Like 1

Basically HenryW the 'qualification rule' for the thread is "a rider who had been world champion' or a rider who 'was the world champion when you first saw them." Thank you for your interest. 

Edited by JohnHyam

First world champion I ever saw was Lionel Van Praag riding for New Cross in 1947.

First World Final  I went to was 1949 where the winner was Tommy Price and I think it was the only final when Brits filled the top three places

Oddly enough Tommy Price's brother lived about 100 yards away from me.

Edited by mickthemuppet
  • Like 1

For me it was 1960 (I think) and he was the greatest and most naturally talented rider to race a speedway bike (that will probably generate a few comments!!)

The great Ronnie Moore.

• Like 1

All my early programmes are long gone so I'm not sure.  But I think the first person I saw who would be a world individual champion was Peter Collins at Reading on the 2nd August 1976.  Otherwise I think the first current/former world individual champion would have been Ivan Mauger at Reading on the 30th August 1976. A relative newbie compared to most who have posted on this thread.

18 minutes ago, Lenny said:

For me it was 1960 (I think) and he was the greatest and most naturally talented rider to race a speedway bike (that will probably generate a few comments!!)

The great Ronnie Moore.

I was so pleased that I was able to see him ride during his last season in the UK. The one World Champion I would dearly have liked to have seen was Pater Craven but he was before my time.

Edited by steve roberts

On 10/14/2020 at 9:32 PM, Terry said:

He was, but I thought it was current or previous champs :)

Just a late afterthought. Did anyone say World Individual Champion? Because Anders Michanek was a former world champion when you saw him in heat 1 since he was a member of the Swedish team that won the World Team Cup in 1970.

Pedants rule, OK? 

• Like 1

Ronnie Moore in 1969 for me. I was too young to really understand his genius at the time. I was fortunate to meet him on a few occassions in later years. A very gracious and unassuming gentleman

2 hours ago, False dawn said:

Just a late afterthought. Did anyone say World Individual Champion? Because Anders Michanek was a former world champion when you saw him in heat 1 since he was a member of the Swedish team that won the World Team Cup in 1970.

Pedants rule, OK? 

In that case Bob Andrews (world pairs champion 1969) rode for the Wick in 1970. I may have been taken along as a baby. I was too busy lying on my back with a bottle in my mouth, (much like today) to remember!

• Haha 1