British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
False dawn

Some help with my failing memory please

Following a conversation with my brother about the number of this weekend's SON team managers who have ridden for the Bees (it's three btw) we got onto Marek Cieslak's British racing history. For the record he rode for White City in 1977-8. Talk of White City took us to Bruce Penhall's "less than finest hour" at the 1982 Overseas Final when he allowed 3 of his fellow Americans to beat him.

So are you with me so far? This is like an episode of Connections.

So at this point in the conversation I think we were both trying to dig out the most obscure memories. Thinking it was White City I moved onto the time that Ole Olsen's helmet colour came adrift and ended up tangled in his rear wheel. Now I can't find online any reference to this occurence. I thought it was in the Grand Prix series (not the WC, a series held in Britain sponsored by the Daily Mirror). But bro thinks it was another individual series sponsored by a brewery (Skol?). We also differ on the helmet cover colour. I think it was white but bro thinks it was red.

I know someone will know the details.....

1 hour ago, False dawn said:

Following a conversation with my brother about the number of this weekend's SON team managers who have ridden for the Bees (it's three btw) we got onto Marek Cieslak's British racing history. For the record he rode for White City in 1977-8. Talk of White City took us to Bruce Penhall's "less than finest hour" at the 1982 Overseas Final when he allowed 3 of his fellow Americans to beat him.

So are you with me so far? This is like an episode of Connections.

So at this point in the conversation I think we were both trying to dig out the most obscure memories. Thinking it was White City I moved onto the time that Ole Olsen's helmet colour came adrift and ended up tangled in his rear wheel. Now I can't find online any reference to this occurence. I thought it was in the Grand Prix series (not the WC, a series held in Britain sponsored by the Daily Mirror). But bro thinks it was another individual series sponsored by a brewery (Skol?). We also differ on the helmet cover colour. I think it was white but bro thinks it was red.

I know someone will know the details.....

Your memory must be worse than you thought; it was only 14 months ago when you spoke about it on here!

I agree that it is difficult to find reference to it online, but you did state that it was the 1976 Grand Prix final, and Olsen did pack up in Heat 10. He was riding at Number 5, so he would have been in blue.

I don't remember Skol sponsoring any series; the only things I remember them doing were the Skol Masters at Birmingham, and the Skol Pairs at Wimbledon (1976).

EDIT: Just dug out the Speedway Star with the Grand Prix report, and that was the one. There is a photo of Ole with the caption, "Ole Olsen's hopes in tatters. His blue helmet colour in ruins after jamming the chain."

Edited by chunky

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

Your memory must be worse than you thought; it was only 14 months ago when you spoke about it on here!

I agree that it is difficult to find reference to it online, but you did state that it was the 1976 Grand Prix final, and Olsen did pack up in Heat 10. He was riding at Number 5, so he would have been in blue.

I don't remember Skol sponsoring any series; the only things I remember them doing were the Skol Masters at Birmingham, and the Skol Pairs at Wimbledon (1976).

Oh dear. They say when you can remember old memories better than recent ones, it really is the first sign of old age (or worse).

Thanks for the reference to the Grand Prix Final. It seems neither brother got the hemet colour right.

It may have been the Skol Masters my brother had in mind. There were two qualifiers / semis at Poole and Sheffield before the final at Birmungham (all in 1977). They also sponsored the BLRC in 1975.

Still, I wish I could get a definitive reference to the helmet colour incident

8 hours ago, False dawn said:

Oh dear. They say when you can remember old memories better than recent ones, it really is the first sign of old age (or worse).

Thanks for the reference to the Grand Prix Final. It seems neither brother got the hemet colour right.

It may have been the Skol Masters my brother had in mind. There were two qualifiers / semis at Poole and Sheffield before the final at Birmungham (all in 1977). They also sponsored the BLRC in 1975.

Still, I wish I could get a definitive reference to the helmet colour incident

I was at that meeting...recall Olsen grinding to a halt and being excluded although he went to great pains wanting to get re-instated despite it being his own helmet colour that got caught up in his chain!

19 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I was at that meeting...recall Olsen grinding to a halt and being excluded although he went to great pains wanting to get re-instated despite it being his own helmet colour that got caught up in his chain!

Today, of course, riders provide their own helmet colours and can have them bespoke fitted to their helmet and securely fastened. In the GPs most have 4 helmets in the appropriate colour.

But back in the seventies the helmet covers are provided by the track ... Many were in a very poor state of repair, tattered and loose fitting with knicker-elastic that would do Nora Batty proud. That why Olsen felt he had a right to moan about 'his' not being fit for purpose.

46 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

19 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Today, of course, riders provide their own helmet colours and can have them bespoke fitted to their helmet and securely fastened. In the GPs most have 4 helmets in the appropriate colour.

But back in the seventies the helmet covers are provided by the track ... Many were in a very poor state of repair, tattered and loose fitting with knicker-elastic that would do Nora Batty proud. That why Olsen felt he had a right to moan about 'his' not being fit for purpose.

And can you guys confirm it was the 1976 Grand Prix Final at White City?

5 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Absolutely...recall it being televised also. Perhaps Speedway Researcher (which I've only recently accessed...a superb body of work) will confirm?

Having checked it appears that Olsen wasn't excluded but retired from the race but was hoping for a re-instatement. Unfortunately I no longer have my programmes.

Edited by steve roberts

29 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Olsen would moan about most things I remember if things didn't go his way.

43 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Having checked it appears that Olsen wasn't excluded but retired from the race but was hoping for a re-instatement. Unfortunately I no longer have my programmes.

I was at the meeting as well and still have my programme. Sadly, I seem to have missed the significance of what happened as all I have written in my programme is e/f for Olsen!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grand Central said:

Funnily enough I watched some footage of the 1982 Overseas Final the other day and was struck by how many helmet colours were off within a lap or two. 

One of the things that have improved over the years.

Edited by salty

3 hours ago, False dawn said:

I already did! In Heat 10!

2 hours ago, salty said:

Funnily enough I watched some footage of the 1982 Overseas Final the other day and was struck by how many helmet colours were off within a lap or two. 

One of the things that have improved over the years.

I guess when helmets became bigger with riders preferring the full face variety but helmet colours remained the same in design. I recall that there was a time when riders just placed the relevant colour under the goggle strap (remember, also, when riders wore colour identification on their right arm?) Eventually, of course, riders were required to invest in their own colours.

Edited by steve roberts

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Olsen would moan about most things I remember if things didn't go his way.

Oh yes ... No one could moan and groan pre meeting as much about a wet track as him ... A right sour faced malcontent he could be ... So it was always satisfyingly amusing to see him have to cope for all those years having to run meetings in the p!ssing rain at Vojens.

Edited by Grand Central

20 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Oh yes ... No one could moan and groan pre meeting as much about a wet track as him ... A right sour faced malcontent he could be ... So it was always satisfyingly amusing to see him have to cope for all those years having to run meetings in the p!ssing rain at Vojens.

...whether it was moaning about wet tracks (he originally refused to ride at Wood Lane one year but then went out and got the track record) or tyres (recall the Spring Classic one year) or silencers...and he even used to moan to Ivan about Hans messing him up in one race or another. And, of course, he was never going to join the 'Rebels" which was great in hindsight as we got the majestic Dag Lovaas in his place! Even Anders was once quoted as saying of him that he was a miserable old so and so!

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I guess when helmets became bigger with riders preferring the full face variety but helmet colours remained the same in design. I recall that there was a time when riders just placed the relevant colour under the goggle strap (remember, also, when riders wore colour identification on their right arm?) Eventually, of course, riders were required to invest in their own colours.

I think the bands on the right arm were introduced at the 1982 World Final in L.A.? I didn't think it was a bad idea, particularly when the helmet colours came off.

Remember also the large, bright, Polish-style helmet colours that came in for a while at certain meetings... They seemed a better fit.

• Like 1