British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
False dawn

Some help with my failing memory please

7 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Today, of course, riders provide their own helmet colours and can have them bespoke fitted to their helmet and securely fastened. In the GPs most have 4 helmets in the appropriate colour.

But back in the seventies the helmet covers are provided by the track ... Many were in a very poor state of repair, tattered and loose fitting with knicker-elastic that would do Nora Batty proud. That why Olsen felt he had a right to moan about 'his' not being fit for purpose.

I recall that Ronnie Moore simply rode in a red helmet at Wimbledon and riding at number one seldom needed to use a helmet cover at home meetings.   

Just now, Split said:

I recall that Ronnie Moore simply rode in a red helmet at Wimbledon and riding at number one seldom needed to use a helmet cover at home meetings.   

Hans was the same at Cowley and wore a white one away from home.

6 minutes ago, salty said:

Funnily enough I watched some footage of the 1982 Overseas Final the other day and was struck by how many helmet colours were off within a lap or two. 

One of the things that have improved over the years.

I didn't know that helmet colours were given out by the hosting track.

Jumping forward a few years. I wonder how many green helmets were bought during those silly days when the white helmet colour was dropped in the UK?

I remember watching this and howling with laughter when it happened. Well I am an Heathen and Ole was a wolf/bee

• Like 1

19 hours ago, False dawn said:

Following a conversation with my brother about the number of this weekend's SON team managers who have ridden for the Bees (it's three btw)......

Actually Fd, its four.

Edit: And that's another sign of age, talking to yourself!

Edited by False dawn

I remember seeing this on TV. Was it about the time rear wheel spoilers came in? I seem to recall Dave Lanning suggesting they had something to do with it.

11 minutes ago, Chadster said:

I remember seeing this on TV. Was it about the time rear wheel spoilers came in? I seem to recall Dave Lanning suggesting they had something to do with it.

It's funny how the memory play tricks and as one who was at the meeting I'm not sure if the drama was broadcasted to the fans at the time and only came to light on the TV broadcast?

2 hours ago, False dawn said:

I didn't know that helmet colours were given out by the hosting track.

Jumping forward a few years. I wonder how many green helmets were bought during those silly days when the white helmet colour was dropped in the UK?

Not sure when riders were expected to supply their own helmet colours...mid/late eighties I'm guessing? Prior to that it was the job of the residing colour marshall to administer the required item...I think? I remember Garry Middleton being called back on more than one occasion when he attempted to take his place in the starting line up with his 'Day-Glo' Orange helmet and was made to cover it with a red helmet colour.

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Not sure when riders were expected to supply their own helmet colours...mid/late eighties I'm guessing? Prior to that it was the job of the residing colour marshall to administer the required item...I think? I remember Garry Middleton being called back on more than one occasion when he attempted to take his place in the starting line up with his 'Day-Glo' Orange helmet and was made to cover it with a red helmet colour.

Ah yes, the colour Marshall...