British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
False dawn

Reducing starting position bias in the Speedway Grand Prix

There have been numerous riders over a number of years keeping their eye on their average over a season for various reasons.Guest Bookings and End of Season average for Team Place next season being main thing in their mind.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

He never was wanting for a team place but used to usually "struggle" a wee bit, (after a good start and middle), towards the end of the seasons when/if  his teams couldn't win anything..

A promoter also once told me he would never sign anyone who had been a particular standard through the year, and then had a great last month of the season, as he wasnt convinced it was exactly a step change in the capability of the rider, more a reason of getting some "gift" points of others..

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.. :D

No doubt, but it's the trade-off between scoring points and making money in the here-and-now, and the possibility of scoring more points and more money in the future.

All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't choose speedway rider as my career... 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

No doubt, but it's the trade-off between scoring points and making money in the here-and-now, and the possibility of scoring more points and more money in the future.

All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't choose speedway rider as my career... 

Andy Smith was always one I regularly felt sorry for..

He pretty much gave everything, every race, yet would often end up with an average that left him without a job the year after at the club he was at when points needed shedding, and other clubs would be not sure if he could keep up that average at their track...

Amazing to think that you help a team become successful by giving your all and (let's be honest) NOT effectively 'cheating the public' by giving 100% every night, and then struggle to keep your job..

It's a bit daft isn't it? 

Edit: Just remembered, silly me..

"You see, this is Speedway and it's different to other team sports"...:rolleyes:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Fromafar said:

There have been numerous riders over a number of years keeping their eye on their average over a season for various reasons.Guest Bookings and End of Season average for Team Place next season being main thing in their mind.

Mitch Shirra tells the story that Coventry riders were told to drop points with a view of being able to fit them in the following season.

• Like 2