British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Four in a Row - or More

Earlier I referred to a case where a rider rode in four consecutive races. It was on 14th June, 1973, in a BL II fixture at Long Eaton. Crewe's Geoff Ambrose appeared in heats 9, 10, 11, and 12. In those four, he dropped just the one point, to home Number 1 Geoff Bouchard (heat 10).

It's not unusual for riders to take three rides in a row, and I think there may have been a few others on four. Do we know of any? Has anyone ridden five on the spin?

Zdenek Simota did four in a row for Plymouth at Owlerton in 2014,heats 7,8,9,10 as well as heats 2 and 4,scoring 9+1

The same meeting saw Ben Wilson ride in 7 of the completed 10 heats,twice doing three on the trot,hts1,2,3 and 8,9,10 plus ht 5 scoring 16+2.

Sheffield were using R/R for Andre Compton when Leigh Lanham and Taylor Poole crashed out of the meeting in heat 3 (The crash ended Taylor's career sadly) so The Tiger's were down to four riders and due to the time it took to get Taylor to Hospital the meeting ended at the 10pm curfew,with a final score of 32-30 to Sheffield.

There might be a few more 'four in a rows' in the 1976 season were a rider could take two R/Rs per meeting.Carl Glover rode in 8 of the 13 heats in one such meeting at Sheffield.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

There might be a few more 'four in a rows' in the 1976 season were a rider could take two R/Rs per meeting.Carl Glover rode in 8 of the 13 heats in one such meeting at Sheffield.

Thanks for that! At least I have something specific to look for.

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

Zdenek Simota did four in a row for Plymouth at Owlerton in 2014,heats 7,8,9,10 as well as heats 2 and 4,scoring 9+1

The same meeting saw Ben Wilson ride in 7 of the completed 10 heats,twice doing three on the trot,hts1,2,3 and 8,9,10 plus ht 5 scoring 16+2.

Sheffield were using R/R for Andre Compton when Leigh Lanham and Taylor Poole crashed out of the meeting in heat 3 (The crash ended Taylor's career sadly) so The Tiger's were down to four riders and due to the time it took to get Taylor to Hospital the meeting ended at the 10pm curfew,with a final score of 32-30 to Sheffield.

Henny Kroeze maybe another worth looking at...remember he was the first rider, I think, to score a 21 pont maximum?

6 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Henny Kroeze maybe another worth looking at...remember he was the first rider, I think, to score a 21 pont maximum?

Already looked at him!

12 hours ago, Andrew said:

2nd September, 1976, at home to Hull. Carl rode in the last four heats.

Bruce Cribb took 8 rides for Cradley at Coventry in the Midland Cup in 1976, including the last 4 heats.

I'm sure Joe Owen did 4 in a row in his second spell with Newcastle and also that he won all 4 - the last 4 races of the match. Maybe v Mildenhall but just guessing now.

40 minutes ago, BL65 said:

Bruce Cribb took 8 rides for Cradley at Coventry in the Midland Cup in 1976, including the last 4 heats.

I knew you'd come up with something!

As I thought, we have a few fours, but has anyone done five in a row?

I know it is off-topic but in the 1976 Laurels at Wimbledon the two reserve riders Brendan Shilleto and Ian Williams both took 9 rides each (may be a recorded for two reserve riders).

This was after the non-arrivals of Dave Morton, Mitch Shirra and Dave Jessup alongside Bob Kilby blowing his engine up in his first ride. I only mention this because the match report printed in the Speedway Star is incorrect. My file is on the Speedway Researcher website, with the result coming from my meeting programme, which I remember it never stopped raining.

Edited by Robbie B

6 minutes ago, Robbie B said:

I know it is off-topic but in the 1976 Laurels at Wimbledon the two reserve riders Brendan Shilleto and Ian Williams both took 9 rides each (may be a recorded for two reserve riders).

This was after the non-arrivals of Dave Morton, Mitch Shirra and Dave Jessup alongside Bob Kilby blowing his engine up in his first ride. I only mention this because the match report printed in the Speedway Star is incorrect. My file is on the Speedway Researcher website, with the result coming from my meeting programme, which I remember it never stopped raining.

Unfortunately, I don't have any REAL memories of that, even though I was there. My main memories from the Laurels was from 1980. That's when I spent the second half of the meeting (and several ensuing hours) unconscious in St. George's Hospital after head-butting the concrete arch on the pits bend...

Something else came to mind when thinking about this topic.  Apologies if this covers what which might be the subject of a future question.  Alan Grahame took 7 rides for Birmingham in a 13 heat match at Exeter in 1977 and never appeared in consecutive heats, riding in heats 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13.

11 minutes ago, BL65 said:

Something else came to mind when thinking about this topic.  Apologies if this covers what which might be the subject of a future question.  Alan Grahame took 7 rides for Birmingham in a 13 heat match at Exeter in 1977 and never appeared in consecutive heats, riding in heats 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13.

Funny you should say that! This morning I found George Hunter at Sheffield in 1976 taking six rides, and riding in heats 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13. I thought that was impressive, but yeah, I think Alan would have the record. Obviously, in 13 or 14 heat matches, that can't be beaten!

I vaguely remember Richard Greer taking four on the trot and I'm desperately scanning to see if I can come up with anything...can't recall if it was when he was at Oxford or White City?

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I vaguely remember Richard Greer taking four on the trot and I'm desperately scanning to see if I can come up with anything...can't recall if it was when he was at Oxford or White City?

Best I could come up for Richard was four rides within five heats at Belle Vue in 1975.