British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
False dawn

The Smell

Thinking about sitting at home watching speedway on TV or an internet stream, I thought I'd see if there was any way of creating "that speedway smell" in my front room.
I know this whole smell subject has been discussed before, but there are still aspects of this that I don't fully understand.
The conventional wisdom talks a lot about Castrol R and sometimes total loss engines. As modern engines recirculate the oil and synthetic oils are universally (?) used, why is that sometimes we still get that smell at meetings? Also, why are engines designed to burn oil anyway? They are not two stroke, so burning oil is surely inefficient.

4 minutes ago, False dawn said:

Thinking about sitting at home watching speedway on TV or an internet stream, I thought I'd see if there was any way of creating "that speedway smell" in my front room.
I know this whole smell subject has been discussed before, but there are still aspects of this that I don't fully understand.
The conventional wisdom talks a lot about Castrol R and sometimes total loss engines. As modern engines recirculate the oil and synthetic oils are universally (?) used, why is that sometimes we still get that smell at meetings? Also, why are engines designed to burn oil anyway? They are not two stroke, so burning oil is surely inefficient.

They a not designed to “burn” oil though.

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

They a not designed to “burn” oil though.

So why do they? Other racing engines don't (as far as I know) and nor does my car engine.

10 minutes ago, False dawn said:

So why do they? Other racing engines don't (as far as I know) and nor does my car engine.

Not sure of all the reason,but obviously you could recycle the if you fitted a oil pump, more to do with cost and for the amount of oil used( very little)By draining oil you can see whether there is much metal deposits in it.Think the strain on bearings and cylinder are huge.Like you say you could have Speedway engine in a road bike with a oil pump fitted.

• Thanks 1

Maybe because they would need a sump and a pump and space is limited on the bike.

• Like 1

Anyway back to my original quaestion:

If "the smell" was down to Castrol R, why do we still get it sometimes with riders using synthetic oils?

And more to the point, can we reproduce it some way at home, to enhance the viewing experience of online/TV speedway?
What I had in mind was something like this: Click here (a bit expensive in my view).

Just now, False dawn said:

Anyway back to my original quaestion:

If "the smell" was down to Castrol R, why do we still get it sometimes with riders using synthetic oils?

And more to the point, can we reproduce it some way at home, to enhance the viewing experience of online/TV speedway?
What I had in mind was something like this: Click here (a bit expensive in my view).

Buy a bike ,and a Tin of Castrol R run it in the living room while watching speedway,satisfaction .:D

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Buy a bike ,and a Tin of Castrol R run it in the living room while watching speedway,satisfaction .:D

With a straight through pipe no doubt? Double bonus. Authentic smell and sound. :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, False dawn said:

With a straight through pipe no doubt? Double bonus. Authentic smell and sound. :cheers:

also put some white tape across the the opening of the tv room and when someone comes into the room and breaks the tapes you will have two mins to make a fresh brew !

have you tried eating a pie and farting while you are watching the TV ?

• Haha 2

This started out as a serious thread. Well semi serious.
But now it's descending into total silliness.

I love it! :D

But do you have a "two-minute" klaxon? Don't think your neighbours would be impressed...

Small oil burner. Those little ones with the tin candles in the bottom & oil tray on top. 

Never tried it but a logical cheap option to try maybe, less of a fire risk?

Not sure whether the smell is from just fuel, oil or a bit of both burnt though? 

Cook yourself a big plate of chips in Castrol R, make sure you eat many many tins of baked beans with it, close all your doors and windows, sit back and wait for nature to take its course :drink:

Easy way to recreate the modern smell of speedway.

Get someone you know to have a plate of chips with a load of ketchup on the side, then leave it near to you with the ketchup still on the plate.

This is a strange one to many but not so strange to many who have ridden speedway, since Kevlars have been around and they get washed so much in the washing machine they seem to hold the washing powder smell, when you walk in to the changing rooms before a meeting that smell of freshly washed Kevlar is very strong, also if you walk into a riders workshop it smells of speedway especially if you’re not used to it, I love going in workshops because they all have a sort of story to tell, like something writ on the wall or something insignificant but you know it means something to that rider, I’ve been in some amazing workshops and I find them fascinating and they all have that speedway smell 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 5