British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
False dawn

The Smell

Slightly away from the "smell" part of the topic but with using so much oil over a season, could it be recycled by the riders or teams.

I used to work on a paint spraying facility & we used a 2 pack paint but with a 6 point filter system before its final spray.

Could the oil be filtered through a sieve/cloth type filter then a large sponge filter to collect metal finings over a period of time.

8 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Slightly away from the "smell" part of the topic but with using so much oil over a season, could it be recycled by the riders or teams.

I used to work on a paint spraying facility & we used a 2 pack paint but with a 6 point filter system before its final spray.

Could the oil be filtered through a sieve/cloth type filter then a large sponge filter to collect metal finings over a period of time.

Some do recycle it, they put it in the chain oiler after it’s been dropped from engine, some don’t 

5 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

ahh , good old 2 pack paint . seen off many painters when it first came out .  

good thread @ the moment, keep it up  ! :wub:

I've mentioned it before, I'm sure, but the late Rob Woffinden used to place a solution of Castrol 'R' mixed with petrol so when he used his lawn mower he could re-live the aroma given off!

Peter Christopher (Grub) use to put it in the Rising Sun Honda work Ute(back in the old days) as well, it smelt bloody good..  

• Like 1

I always used to put a drop of Castrol R in the fuel tank of my road bikes. Didn't do them any harm & smelt lovely.

Edited by Liontamer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Liontamer said:

I always used to put a drop of Castrol R in the fuel tank of my road bikes. Didn't do them any harm & smelt lovely.

good to see you post LT 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevehone said:

good to see you post LT 

Steve i don't know if its ever crossed your mind but having read about your family history with Ivan Mauger, then your own riding career followed by your photography career, would. if you can put it into words or find a suitable ghost writer make a good book or series in the Speedway Star during the winter. Youv'e experienced the sport from near enough every angle.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevehone said:

good to see you post LT 

1 hour ago, Triple.H. said:

Steve i don't know if its ever crossed your mind but having read about your family history with Ivan Mauger, then your own riding career followed by your photography career, would. if you can put it into words or find a suitable ghost writer make a good book or series in the Speedway Star during the winter. Youv'e experienced the sport from near enough every angle.

He's waiting till he's done a spell as GB team manager :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm thinking of putting a cap full in my lawn mower. I'd probably cut the grass more often, and with a smile on my face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Someone told me peanut or ground nut oil heated smells a bit like it? Haven't tried it but plus side if it doesn't smell like it, can cook with it or make dressings or dips I assume .:). If not maybe Castor oil heated would smell similar as that was the original base oil for R ?

Edited by gazzac

9 hours ago, gazzac said:

Someone told me peanut or ground nut oil heated smells a bit like it? Haven't tried it but plus side if it doesn't smell like it, can cook with it or make dressings or dips I assume .:). If not maybe Castor oil heated would smell similar as that was the original base oil for R ?

Sod it. I'm taking my referee exams. Then I can get that smell even if fans ain't allowed in.

Edited by False dawn
  • Haha 2

A couple of years ago I happened across a model car racing circuit in West Vale near Halifax and, lo and behold, 'the smell' was immediately apparent.

Therefore the cars presumably use Castrol R which means an obvious thing to do would be to watch speedway on your tablet whilst in attendance at one of these model car tracks!

• Haha 1