British Speedway Forum
jenga

2021 speedway season !

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

I believe its the Championship league that intends to run 2021with the same 2020 1-7s. Not sure thats been agreed at Premiership level?

Oh, OK, I thought it was both, easier for CL I think

We will very lucky to have crowds in stadiums in the early part of a normal season.... personally I have grave doubts of stadiums opening early season unless they are prepared to have pay per view.

It’s clear the way things are going with Covid-19 that fans will not be allowed in stadiums for many months, in fact it could be years. Difficult to see how clubs and the sport can survive with zero income. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

It’s clear the way things are going with Covid-19 that fans will not be allowed in stadiums for many months, in fact it could be years. Difficult to see how clubs and the sport can survive with zero income. 

It's those that rent dog tracks that are most at risk. How many greyhound stadiums survive, is going to shape the sport in this country.

If the plan is to run 2021 as 2020 then a huge opportunity to restructure the sport in a positive way has been missed. 

5 hours ago, cityrebel said:

It's those that rent dog tracks that are most at risk. How many greyhound stadiums survive, is going to shape the sport in this country.

5 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Agreed. Both ‘sports’ was in a real bad shape and serious decline well before the virus crisis. Clubs was losing huge amount of money, clubs going bust or closing down and clubs up for sale with zero interested. Sadly the future looks very bleak for speedway. I wouldn’t want to be a promoter with money invested.  NOT doom and gloom but realistic!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

Agreed. Both ‘sports’ was in a real bad shape and serious decline well before the virus crisis. Clubs was losing huge amount of money, clubs going bust or closing down and clubs up for sale with zero interested. Sadly the future looks very bleak for speedway. I wouldn’t want to be a promoter with money invested.  NOT doom and gloom but realistic!

Realism and negatively are often misinterpreted on this forum.

Hopefully second peak will be over and things will have stabilised by Easter. 

Having been to an excellently staged and very well stewarded meeting at Plymouth in September and witnessed what can be done hopefully enough Clubs will get approval to do the same in the Spring. 

It's going to be a long and stressful winter though for many Sports including speedway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, HGould said:

Hopefully second peak will be over and things will have stabilised by Easter. 

Having been to an excellently staged and very well stewarded meeting at Plymouth in September and witnessed what can be done hopefully enough Clubs will get approval to do the same in the Spring. 

It's going to be a long and stressful winter though for many Sports including speedway. 

We will be on wave 4 or so by then.....

• Haha 1

I can see quite a few changes to the 2020 teams if 2021 goes ahead..

Those lads with a contract in Poland may not want to risk any further lockdowns, and thus finding themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time if they happen..

The positive of course is that Poland get their act together early so riders will be signed up in plenty of time for the UK to plan in their own season..

For me, any riders with a Polish (or maybe Swedish contract too?)  should be avoided, and the domestic calendar drawn up with riders who are 100% available on any given night over here..

As fixture lists too may become a little ad hoc at a moments notice to ensure a completed season. Therefore 100% availability and flexibility will be very important..

As I say, lots of time for this to get sorted for a March or April start so no excuses to stumble into 2021 if the green light to go ahead is given..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Those lads with a contract in Poland may not want to risk any further lockdowns, and thus finding themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time if they happen..

The positive of course is that Poland get their act together early so riders will be signed up in plenty of time for the UK to plan in their own season..

For me, any riders with a Polish (or maybe Swedish contract too?)  should be avoided, and the domestic calendar drawn up with riders who are 100% available on any given night over here..

As fixture lists too may become a little ad hoc at a moments notice to ensure a completed season. Therefore 100% availability and flexibility will be very important..

As I say, lots of time for this to get sorted for a March or April start so no excuses to stumble into 2021 if the green light to go ahead is given..

I think what would boost all Speedway Fans and give us all hope would be a clear and early Fixture List.

There seems to be some indication that March even April is too early to start but that should not stop any Clubs who can start in April and who have local permission doing so maybe with challenges and individuals the order of the day. If all Leagues then had a start date no later than 1 May and a Fixture List around that issued by New Year would give us all something to look forward to. Hope springs eternal !

Stating the blindingly obvious that any Fixture List will have to include "covid dependent" but rather that than wait and wait and wait like we did in 2020, and the gloom that brings..

1 hour ago, HGould said:

I think what would boost all Speedway Fans and give us all hope would be a clear and early Fixture List......

Wouldn't it be ironic if we got an early fixture list for 2021. We've been shouting at the promoters to do this for years. 
Oh well, it only took a global pandemic.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, mikebv said:

You can imagine Polish clubs insisting that their contracted riders base themselves over there for the season and don’t leave other than for FIM events. 

• Like 1

hopefully by april supporters  will be allowed back  in stadiums . when just up the road  poole fc can have up to 500 supporters each home match in strange i think 

4 hours ago, ray c said:

hopefully by april supporters  will be allowed back  in stadiums . when just up the road  poole fc can have up to 500 supporters each home match in strange i think 

Poole speedway is classed as an elite sport, Poole Town is in the amateur category. Crazy as it seems, that's the rules at the moment.