British Speedway Forum
jenga

2021 speedway season !

33 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Poole speedway is classed as an elite sport, Poole Town is in the amateur category. Crazy as it seems, that's the rules at the moment.

we are a championship side thats not elite :party::party:yes stupid i know 

2 hours ago, ray c said:

we are a championship side thats not elite :party::party:yes stupid i know 

National league football is classed as Elite. The same level as the premier league!

On 10/30/2020 at 8:50 AM, HGould said:

I think what would boost all Speedway Fans and give us all hope would be a clear and early Fixture List.

There seems to be some indication that March even April is too early to start but that should not stop any Clubs who can start in April and who have local permission doing so maybe with challenges and individuals the order of the day. If all Leagues then had a start date no later than 1 May and a Fixture List around that issued by New Year would give us all something to look forward to. Hope springs eternal !

Stating the blindingly obvious that any Fixture List will have to include "covid dependent" but rather that than wait and wait and wait like we did in 2020, and the gloom that brings..

TBH can not really see the point of put out a 2021 fixture list, what will that achieve? 
The way things are going might as well put out one for 2022 or 23! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Speedtiger said:

TBH can not really see the point of put out a 2021 fixture list, what will that achieve? 
The way things are going might as well put out one for 2022 or 23! 

I would imagine most clubs will be desperate to retain Sponsors and Season Ticket Holders. Any negative actions such as delaying draft Fixtures could see them walking away for good. 

The scientists say without a vaccine then we will have to live with the virus for ever. How you bring back a spectator sport is then anyone’s guess. Promoters won’t be able to put on meetings in empty stadiums or limited spectators which make it unrealistic financially.

Regrettably the sport in the U.K. doesn’t command the sort of sponsorship that Poland can attract therefore it might survive there but everywhere else could be in serious trouble. 

Total reorganisation required to save the sport and going back to part time riders will be a start.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GWC said:

The scientists say without a vaccine then we will have to live with the virus for ever. How you bring back a spectator sport is then anyone’s guess. Promoters won’t be able to put on meetings in empty stadiums or limited spectators which make it unrealistic financially.

Regrettably the sport in the U.K. doesn’t command the sort of sponsorship that Poland can attract therefore it might survive there but everywhere else could be in serious trouble. 

Total reorganisation required to save the sport and going back to part time riders will be a start.

I don't want to turn this into a Covid argument and this is probably one for the nutjob Covid thread but New Zealand, 2 Islands, are "living with the virus" just fine, sport being played to full stadiums

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As far as 2021 is concerned I really think something needs to be done with the categorising of Speedway as an elite sport in this country! In other words make it grass roots and pronto! 

Let's be honest, how many clubs even in the Elite league these days average much more than 1200 to 1500 fans. I would say here at Ipswich about 1500 is the norm apart from playoffs etc when it does go up. 

The British final was due to take place at Ipswich with a crowd as a test event but ultimately ended up in Manchester behind closed doors due to this wonderful virus. 

The following weekend 2500 were allowed in the same Ipswich stadium for a Stockcar event at £50 a ticket generating £125,000 of income for a grass roots sports organisation (Spedeworth) 

2500 being allowed in the same stadium for one sport and not 1000 for another is just wrong on so many levels. Either ban crowds at both or allow at both!

How is this even possible is my question but who the hell do you put it to to try and get something done for parity. 

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, Super Blue said:

As far as 2021 is concerned I really think something needs to be done with the categorising of Speedway as an elite sport in this country! In other words make it grass roots and pronto! 

Let's be honest, how many clubs even in the Elite league these days average much more than 1200 to 1500 fans. I would say here at Ipswich about 1500 is the norm apart from playoffs etc when it does go up. 

The British final was due to take place at Ipswich with a crowd as a test event but ultimately ended up in Manchester behind closed doors due to this wonderful virus. 

The following weekend 2500 were allowed in the same Ipswich stadium for a Stockcar event at £50 a ticket generating £125,000 of income for a grass roots sports organisation (Spedeworth) 

2500 being allowed in the same stadium for one sport and not 1000 for another is just wrong on so many levels. Either ban crowds at both or allow at both!

How is this even possible is my question but who the hell do you put it to to try and get something done for parity. 

When a Lockdown was announced it should be for everybody except essential workers.Sport certainly does not come into that category whatever way you look at it.

4 hours ago, iainb said:

I don't want to turn this into a Covid argument and this is probably one for the nutjob Covid thread but New Zealand, 2 Islands, are "living with the virus" just fine, sport being played to full stadiums

You have to put NZ aside in this pandemic where the culture and infrastructure is totally different to Europe.

54 minutes ago, GWC said:

You have to put NZ aside in this pandemic where the culture and infrastructure is totally different to Europe.

Have you been?

8 hours ago, Super Blue said:

The situation with Ipswich is not as you say. The National Banger World Final was postponed until 14th November and now already been put back until December as the quote from the Spedeworth website says:-

Firstly, we would like to thank everyone for their patience with regards the decision of running the 2020 Unlimited National Banger World Championship.

We are now able to make the announcement.

The decision has been made to postpone the event until Saturday 14th November 2020.

Following continuous discussions with the local authorities and the current climate within the country regarding COVID-19 we believe this will be the most sensible course of action.

Whilst we understand some of you maybe disappointed, we hope you can appreciate and respect this decision.

Race fans who have purchased advanced tickets please do not panic. Your tickets WILL still be valid for the new date for the event! Race fans who are now unable to attend the event a full refund will be given. Details of how to obtain a refund will be detailed below.

Drivers, your bookings will still be valid. If you are now unable to honour your booking, please contact us on 01252 322920.

To address the Banger World Championship which should have taken place on Saturday 14th November this event will be re-scheduled to Sunday 6th December.

Edited by Chris116
Spelling Mistake!

My apologies, I was under the impression that it took place on the specified date. 

It still however doesn't alter the fact that Stockcar events have been run on a fortnightly basis with crowds during the summer. 

Does seem barmy an event pulling in 2500 can run but an event pulling in a 1000 less cant

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bruno said:

Does seem barmy an event pulling in 2500 can run but an event pulling in a 1000 less cant

Yow cor say 'barmy' they bay not underst'nd wot yow may'n. :drink:

8 hours ago, iainb said:

Have you been?

and a population of about 5 million cant compare