British Speedway Forum
jenga

2021 speedway season !

15 hours ago, Truro Robin said:

Maybe I'm being a little naïve but I assumed that there would be more to being a speedway rider than "how much I can earn, for how little I have to ride". 

I think there maybe a Window Cleaning world championship and it's being televised on Eurosport next year :rofl:

30 minutes ago, iainb said:

I think there maybe a Window Cleaning world championship and it's being televised on Eurosport next year :rofl:

That would be a step up the ladder ☺️

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, enotian said:

it is but my point was it's not possible to do it without signing riders to long term contracts.

and in all honesty do the British clubs actually develop any talent? I don't think any clubs spend a great deal in developing talent.  I don't think they can afford to. I'm not aware of any having a salaried dedicated youth coach, isn't it generally volunteers and parents who put the most effort in?  The clubs just provide the opportunity of track time, which is important but hardly an extensive training programme.

If there was an official training programme then I think you could demand that any young rider who signs up to be part of it has to ride in British speedway for a certain number of years or has to reimburse for the cost of training.

Not sure who funds the Poultec training but as I understand it youngsters have to pay to enter the British Youth Championship so I don't think many British riders will feel so indebted to British speedway that they would turn down the opportunity to ride in other leagues.

I think the BSPA are doing as much as they can nowadays and if that means more riders are getting opportunities overseas that's a good thing as long as they keep to conveyor belt going

This is a really interesting point and pretty much bang on the money. It comes as no surprise or coindence when our current best riders in the world grew up in Australia or in Germany I believe in Woffinden and Lambert.

Gone are the days of a packed second half meeting and continuous training schools. It’s great there is the U15 championship and a few other youth rounds but it’s nowhere near enough. Nowadays when riders sign for a team over here, they rock up a few hours before, ride 4/5 races and then go home until the next time. The Poles are at training throughout the week, constantly on the bike and this is why they are light years ahead of us in development at that level. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Najjer said:

This is a really interesting point and pretty much bang on the money. It comes as no surprise or coindence when our current best riders in the world grew up in Australia or in Germany I believe in Woffinden and Lambert.

Gone are the days of a packed second half meeting and continuous training schools. It’s great there is the U15 championship and a few other youth rounds but it’s nowhere near enough. Nowadays when riders sign for a team over here, they rock up a few hours before, ride 4/5 races and then go home until the next time. The Poles are at training throughout the week, constantly on the bike and this is why they are light years ahead of us in development at that level. 

Polish clubs have the luxury of access to their facilities seven days a week, most British clubs have three hours a week and that's it. All it takes is a hold up for an accident and bang, there goes your second half. 

Can you imagine the reaction of local councils and residents if you applied to use tracks seven days a week over here? You only have to look at the trouble Kent have to tell you the answer.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Polish clubs have the luxury of access to their facilities seven days a week, most British clubs have three hours a week and that's it. All it takes is a hold up for an accident and bang, there goes your second half. 

Can you imagine the reaction of local councils and residents if you applied to use tracks seven days a week over here? You only have to look at the trouble Kent have to tell you the answer.

I know that and fully understand the reasons behind it. I am merely highlighting the issue as a comparison against the Poles

• Like 1

I think we have two possibilities of running a full season next year. Either, a vaccine is available and a significant percentage of the population is vaccinated by the spring or, the tests that can provide a result within about half an hour are available and relatively cheap. The current project in Liverpool should provide some answers on the quick testing.

If a vaccine is not the immediate answer then quick testing would allow lots of hospitality, entertainment and sporting venues to test customers and allow all of those with negative results into the venue.

Currently, all is not going well with the virus in Poland, which may impact their plans. Their number of infections has risen a lot lately. Today the number of infections is 24,785 compared to 20,572 here and that with a population about 55% the size of the UK.

26 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I think we have two possibilities of running a full season next year. Either, a vaccine is available and a significant percentage of the population is vaccinated by the spring or, the tests that can provide a result within about half an hour are available and relatively cheap. The current project in Liverpool should provide some answers on the quick testing.

If a vaccine is not the immediate answer then quick testing would allow lots of hospitality, entertainment and sporting venues to test customers and allow all of those with negative results into the venue.

Currently, all is not going well with the virus in Poland, which may impact their plans. Their number of infections has risen a lot lately. Today the number of infections is 24,785 compared to 20,572 here and that with a population about 55% the size of the UK.

Or the scientists identify why some people are more at risk of a life threatening reaction whilst others are not, so those genuinely at risk can be protected and the rest can re-intergrate back into society. Including enjoying the odd speedway meeting.

You make sensible suggestions.  Have you ever thought of becoming an MP.......

Regardless we're waiting for the Boffins to deliver........    they're currently James Sarjeant (had plenty of chances but still we all believe they can do it) but we need them to be Tai Woffinden.  Here's hoping.

17 hours ago, enotian said:

Or the scientists identify why some people are more at risk of a life threatening reaction whilst others are not, so those genuinely at risk can be protected and the rest can re-intergrate back into society. Including enjoying the odd speedway meeting.

You make sensible suggestions.  Have you ever thought of becoming an MP.......

Regardless we're waiting for the Boffins to deliver........    they're currently James Sarjeant (had plenty of chances but still we all believe they can do it) but we need them to be Tai Woffinden.  Here's hoping.

But to have a Woffinden we need a lot of Sargeants otherwise the sport will collapse at league level.

I watched Tai for 2 seasons at Rye House and he was so far ahead of the riders there at 16 you could tell he was going to be very good if not world class. Similarly with Peter Collins.

with the announcement of  a possible vaccine today normality by spring ?? should be good news for 2021 ??? here's hoping :t:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, geoff58 said:

with the announcement of  a possible vaccine today normality by spring ?? should be good news for 2021 ??? here's hoping :t:

According to a few experts on german tv last night, it is unlikely to be back to normal by Spring unfortunately

5 hours ago, iris123 said:

According to a few experts on german tv last night, it is unlikely to be back to normal by Spring unfortunately

How many doses have the Germans bought? We got 40m initially... mind you we've still got to balls up the distribution of it yet :lol:

Edited by iainb

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

How many doses have the Germans bought? We got 40m initially... mind you we've still got to balls up the distribution of it yet :lol:

Not sure. They did say  Germany should have priority as the government have financed the research firm developing it, but then chuckled a bit saying they might have to share it round the EU !! But I see the EU are negotiating their own supply

One of the things was  saying if everything worked like clockwork it would take 6 minutes for every vaccine and they wanted 60 centres around the country which would give a max of 300,000 per day

Bit it was more technical stuff that still hadn’t come out of the tests which might cause problems even though it was all very hopeful. But they said even if it is good, we might still have to have social distancing and masks till the end of 2021. But I didn’t understand why although I was not alone as one of the guests was also a bit confused with all the technical stuff 

It would seem in the UK that the elderly and 'at risk' will be the first to get the vaccine along with key workers and then followed by age groups downwards ie 80s, 70s, 60s etc.

That should cover the bulk of the UKs speedway audience by April. Job done!:party:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

It would seem in the UK that the elderly and 'at risk' will be the first to get the vaccine along with key workers and then followed by age groups downwards ie 80s, 70s, 60s etc.

That should cover the bulk of the UKs speedway audience by April. Job done!:party:

:rofl:

But here is the news from Sweden

70-plus people, healthcare employees and people in the risk group will be given priority. 

Only after the summer of next year is Sweden expected to be able to offer corona vaccine to the masses.

- If everything works well and several vaccines are approved, we will have been able to give all prioritized one vaccine during the first half of the year, says Sweden's vaccine coordinator Richard Bergström 

Wouldn't it be the height of irony if UK via German Pfizer and its own Oxford and Cambridge led work had ample supplies of vaccine by May and the Poles were lagging behind and unable to keep up. 

How would that suit the bullies of Polish Speedway Federation. 

They need to realise they are part of a global sport and that other speedway countries may be behind in Speedway terms but light years ahead in other scientific areas. 

• Like 3