British Speedway Forum
jenga

2021 speedway season !

15 hours ago, iris123 said:

According to a few experts on german tv last night, it is unlikely to be back to normal by Spring unfortunately

that's because we are ahead of them in ordering the vaccine !!

14 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

that's because we are ahead of them in ordering the vaccine !!

Doubt it. The EU will put a block on a German produced vaccine leaving to go to the UK

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Doubt it. The EU will put a block on a German produced vaccine leaving to go to the UK

don't talk silly i'll leave it at that !! it's not the 1930's :rofl:

7 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

don't talk silly i'll leave it at that !! it's not the 1930's :rofl:

Of course. I was just taking the mickey out of some who think the EU act like dictators :rofl:

10 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Of course. I was just taking the mickey out of some who think the EU act like dictators :rofl:

:nono:

after todays announcement regarding the vaccine, and fans being allowed back in stadiums today (depending on tier) im more confident now we will have a 2021 season.

hopefully by spring we wont be in tiers or any form of lockdown and we can have at least 33% of capacity in each stadium

It'll be interesting to see if any clubs/businesses/country's will require any form of vaccine passport stamp to allow entry/use/travel

Wonder if the point system that football will use to sign EU players will be affecting speedway in a similar way ? 

1 hour ago, iainb said:

It'll be interesting to see if any clubs/businesses/country's will require any form of vaccine passport stamp to allow entry/use/travel

Shouldn't be needed

The vaccine will (at least should) be voluntary and if someone chooses not to have it they should not be discriminated against

If someone attending has been vaccinated then they should have no fear of another that isnt after all they are protected

If someone attending hasn't been vaccinated (through choice) then they do so at their own risk along with any other in that position 

Exclusion on the grounds of non vaccination should be illegal

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2020 at 8:18 AM, Phil The Ace said:

after todays announcement regarding the vaccine, and fans being allowed back in stadiums today (depending on tier) im more confident now we will have a 2021 season.

hopefully by spring we wont be in tiers or any form of lockdown and we can have at least 33% of capacity in each stadium

That’s probably above the normal attendance level at most Tracks, so we should be OK then to return to normal.;)

4 hours ago, Fromafar said:

That’s probably above the normal attendance level at most Tracks, so we should be OK then to return to normal.;)

It will be interesting to see how the BSPA dress this up if it is the case. They’re notorious for not announcing attendance figures, what happens when teams are allowed to open at half capacity but have to put the message out that they don’t usually fill that anyway. 

One thing that could hurt the sport however is firstly, having to police social distancing, this means employing stewards and secondly facilities. Toilets, food and beverage outlets are not as plentiful as at most football grounds and some of the lower football league sides are having trouble on this front already. 

9 hours ago, Ben91 said:

It will be interesting to see how the BSPA dress this up if it is the case. They’re notorious for not announcing attendance figures, what happens when teams are allowed to open at half capacity but have to put the message out that they don’t usually fill that anyway. 

One thing that could hurt the sport however is firstly, having to police social distancing, this means employing stewards and secondly facilities. Toilets, food and beverage outlets are not as plentiful as at most football grounds and some of the lower football league sides are having trouble on this front already. 

Given the average age of a speedway supporter, I fear attendances will struggle to return to normal after this pandemic.Age and Employment will be a big factor.Certainly can’t afford to charge the current admission prices if they “ water down “the Leagues like they are hinting.While I am not against a revamp with young riders given their chances ,but they should not be paying “ silly money for them to ride,things have to put into perspective.IMO.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Given the average age of a speedway supporter, I fear attendances will struggle to return to normal after this pandemic.Age and Employment will be a big factor.Certainly can’t afford to charge the current admission prices if they “ water down “the Leagues like they are hinting.While I am not against a revamp with young riders given their chances ,but they should not be paying “ silly money for them to ride,things have to put into perspective.IMO.

Very true. From what I’ve seen online there are a number of football fans of my club who, despite having bought season tickets and being allowed to attend now, simply aren’t doing so because they feel unsafe for one reason or another. The bulk of those are in the older, more vulnerable bracket. A lot of stalwart Speedway fans seem to fall into that age bracket.

I can’t see costs for the fan ever going down sadly. The majority of teams are tenants in their stadiums and landlords will want their going rate of rent regardless of the standard of racing being held there weekly. 

For me, speedway alongside Premier league football will have to remain on the back burner for the foreseeable future. No one expects the vaccine to lead to a quick fix to end the pandemic. Many experts are predicting it will be next Autumn before things start to return to normal. For now, i will continue to attend lower league football matches to help retain my sanity!

• Like 1

If the Oxford vaccine takes a few months more to be brought into use I would prefer to wait, as it will hopefully make me more intellectual and brainy. 

• Haha 3