British Speedway Forum
jenga

2021 speedway season !

2 hours ago, ArthurRudge said:

Can't see Speedway returning in 2021

Really? I think it's great news that one vaccine is already here and hopes are high that the Oxford one will be approved before the new year. The NHS managed to vaccinate all the over-65s who wanted the flu jab inside a couple of months and the roll out for the vaccine will be massive. We don't need the whole population to be vaccinated before life returns to something like normal, just the most vulnerable who have to go to hospital and who are at the most risk from dying. The prospects are good for this by Easter and I think that outdoors events will be ok for the spring and summer months. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, tigerowl said:

Really? I think it's great news that one vaccine is already here and hopes are high that the Oxford one will be approved before the new year. The NHS managed to vaccinate all the over-65s who wanted the flu jab inside a couple of months and the roll out for the vaccine will be massive. We don't need the whole population to be vaccinated before life returns to something like normal, just the most vulnerable who have to go to hospital and who are at the most risk from dying. The prospects are good for this by Easter and I think that outdoors events will be ok for the spring and summer months. 

It must surely be a worry though that immunity from the vaccine is only supposed to be around 3 months. So anyone getting the vaccine this month might not have immunity by the start of the season.....? Just a thought

No. That is why I said 'supposed'. But estimations are for something like that time period.

19 minutes ago, iris123 said:

No. That is why I said 'supposed'. But estimations are for something like that time period.

HAVE seen estimates of a minimum of nine months but only time will tell. Need to be positive ...

• Like 1

Just now, PHILIPRISING said:

HAVE seen estimates of a minimum of nine months but only time will tell. Need to be positive ...

Not seen those Phil. Must admit I was surprised at 3 months, but never really thought about how long a vaccine works.......I do agree with that last bit. We all need some good news and I was looking forward to the 2020 season. Now try to focus on 2021

14 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Not seen those Phil. Must admit I was surprised at 3 months, but never really thought about how long a vaccine works.......I do agree with that last bit. We all need some good news and I was looking forward to the 2020 season. Now try to focus on 2021

FROM a google site ... Once someone is vaccinated for COVID-19, their body should naturally develop antibodies that correspond with the virus and ward off future infection, but it’s still not clear how long those antibodies will last.

Well, I'm relatively confident of a gradual return to normality over the course of next year. I think there may have to be elements of social distancing and mask wearing indoors in certain situations until the end of the summer, but even the pessimistic Chris Whitty who predicted no vaccine until the middle of next year (if ever), thinks there will be a gradual relaxation from the spring. 

There will be elements of society who won't come out from hiding behind their settees but if that's how they want to live their lives, it's up to them. From what I saw at Scunthorpe this year, there is still a large enthusiasm for speedway, even in the older end of the population and I woudn't be surprised if all elements of social activity, including speedway, saw something of a resurgence.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tigerowl said:

Well, I'm relatively confident of a gradual return to normality over the course of next year. I think there may have to be elements of social distancing and mask wearing indoors in certain situations until the end of the summer, but even the pessimistic Chris Whitty who predicted no vaccine until the middle of next year (if ever), thinks there will be a gradual relaxation from the spring. 

There will be elements of society who won't come out from hiding behind their settees but if that's how they want to live their lives, it's up to them. From what I saw at Scunthorpe this year, there is still a large enthusiasm for speedway, even in the older end of the population and I woudn't be surprised if all elements of social activity, including speedway, saw something of a resurgence.

HOPE you are right:t:

Businesses and Sports will survive this pandemic BUT what state and level will they be in after being beaten up by the worlds biggest health and economic crisis in over a hundred years?
As far as speedway is concerned a return to ‘normal’ would be a return to a very poor level, even before the Covid crisis the sport was in a critically bad shape, unsustainable, clubs losing fortunes and going bust and the sport still being run by incompetent clowns in Rugby.

Being realistic a return to ‘normal’ is not something I can get over excited about!

I can only speak for myself, but my enthusiasm for speedway has been restored in the past year. I've been watching since 1974 and had become disillusioned in recent years.

I have kept taking the Star (fantastic work Mr. Rising), but my visits to the track had dwindled. 

I've now realised how much I've missed the sport and will be going more regularly as soon as I am able.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tigerowl said:

I can only speak for myself, but my enthusiasm for speedway has been restored in the past year. I've been watching since 1974 and had become disillusioned in recent years.

I have kept taking the Star (fantastic work Mr. Rising), but my visits to the track had dwindled. 

I've now realised how much I've missed the sport and will be going more regularly as soon as I am able.

This ^^ word for word.  Was all up for going to the Ben Fund Meet at Scunny, day before got a 'cold in der dose' so cried off.  Next day felt a lot better (as you do), by 4pm, so too late, thought "nice day, heck I could probably have gone after all.  Still, there will be loads more speedway to come.............".....

13 hours ago, tigerowl said:

Last night was my 31st non league football match since August 30th. Add that to the 4 speedway meetings i attended, means i definitely haven't been hiding. I haven't been taking unnecessary risks either. Being a key worker has probably helped.

• Like 1