British Speedway Forum
jenga

2021 speedway season !

We all have to hope for an April start if possible. 

If crowds are limited to reduced numbers I think some may have to sit out season or part of it. 

Most worried about teams like mine that rent stadiums. 

1 hour ago, HGould said:

We all have to hope for an April start if possible. 

If crowds are limited to reduced numbers I think some may have to sit out season or part of it. 

Most worried about teams like mine that rent stadiums. 

In what context HGould?

Good Friday is April 2 next year and the start of Easter bank holiday weekend.

Speedway should put a laser focus on that date to get the leagues going. 

Who knows how bad Covid-19 will be then but Good Friday should be the target.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

In what context HGould?

I think @JohnHyam he is referring to greyhound racing which is going on in Covid secure stadiums without spectators. The thought is that stadium owners will not want to let crowds in and risk closure when things tick along with the dogs.

I think it'll very much depend on Eurosport

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

I think @JohnHyam he is referring to greyhound racing which is going on in Covid secure stadiums without spectators. The thought is that stadium owners will not want to let crowds in and risk closure when things tick along with the dogs.

Monmore is allowing pre booked spectators in now 

1 hour ago, noaksey said:

That's excellent news

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. April seems like pie in the sky in my opinion but I sincerely hope I’m wrong. 

2 hours ago, noaksey said:

what , in the close. season ?     joke ................

• Like 1

Something that I don't think anybody has mentioned yet is the plan to just run 2021 as if it were 2020 with the same teams etc. I think, while this would be a nice idea, it's only going to take one club to break ranks and the rest will do the same. There are going to be some riders out there, who have had successful seasons in Poland who's stock has risen and I think they'll be looking for better deals. Jaimon Lidsey had a great season in Poland, came of age, finished WU21 champ, I'm not suggesting he'll be holding out for more money... but he bloody well should be as a self employed business man. Also he finished 2019 with a 5.16 average, he must be a 7 to 8 point rider now, can you see other clubs being happy with him starting on a 5.16? Robert Lambert has already indicated he may be giving UK a miss next season, who would he be replaced with? After his successful season in Europe is he better than his final 2019 average of 7.61?

To run 2021 as 2020 seems rather simplistic to me and controlling riders demands and decisions is rather like herding cats

I believe its the Championship league that intends to run 2021with the same 2020 1-7s. Not sure thats been agreed at Premiership level?

Edited by Skidder1
  • Thanks 1